Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: EFL League One 2020-21  (Read 15596 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday, July 22, 2020, 12:06:59 »

we do hate Oxford though. or some of us do.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #61 on: Wednesday, July 22, 2020, 12:13:02 »

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday, July 22, 2020, 12:14:26 »

we do hate Oxford though. or some of us do.

I suppose it depends who you engage with, obviously I don't get the rivalry on a regular basis being so far away and likewise although I was born in Oxford and bought up near Witney I didn't really know many Oxford fans when I was a kid (bit embarrassing for them really as it was their most successful period), however I do now have a couple of their fans in my wider Facebook community who I have got to engage with as I have got older through other people, and they are bloody obsessed with us, likewise bizarrely a fair few of the people I went to school with who had no interest in football then seem to be obsessed with them (apart from the ones who now support Man Utd and Chelsea!).
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday, July 22, 2020, 12:30:52 »

I didnt realise they actually asked if they could take fans to Wembley for the playoff final. As if the rules were going to be changed!
BoA Vagabond

Tufty club

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday, July 22, 2020, 12:47:12 »

Strange bunch. Worked there for two years twenty plus years ago. I was really surprised at the level of animosity. Nothing like that from a Swindon perspective in my experience. Yes they are a rival and I love a good derby atmosphere but then I largely forget them.

Parasitic freeloading season ticket holder scum
Super Hans

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday, July 22, 2020, 12:59:35 »

Went on their forum to see the meltdown after Wycombe and was shocked by the number of posts mentioning Swindon. Possibly a reason they've done better than us in recent derbies though if that's being fed through to the players.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Wednesday, July 22, 2020, 12:59:40 »

Strange bunch. Worked there for two years twenty plus years ago. I was really surprised at the level of animosity. Nothing like that from a Swindon perspective in my experience. Yes they are a rival and I love a good derby atmosphere but then I largely forget them.

I think there is a lot in common between Oxford and Blackpool which could explain their similar traits, in both cases they are places where those born and bred are rather outnumbered (or at least out perceived by the wider country) by a wider population that a) sets the tone for the way others see the place and b) thus means the locals might have a bit of a chip on their shoulder.

In Oxfords case its the university, when I moved up north people seemed genuinely shocked to learn that a) I was not posh and didn't speak with a posh accent (unfortunately with my parents I have a horrendous mix of Wilts and Glous, with a now added bit of Geordie on top when pissed!) and that b) beyond the academic side of things Oxford was just a provincial town and to be honest a bit of a shit hole!

Blackpool now has a reputation for being a shit hole full of stags, hens, incomers and homeless, which grates (understandably) with the locals. I lived for c.20 years about 20 miles away from there and went for non footballing reasons once, which was once more than most of the people I knew.  
« Last Edit: Wednesday, July 22, 2020, 13:04:43 by horlock07 » Logged
Valid Pint

« Reply #67 on: Wednesday, July 22, 2020, 20:35:43 »

Wow, what a finish!

So much for Luton's false dawn or whatever

No-one knows more about football than me.
Cookie

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday, July 22, 2020, 20:36:24 »

Fantastic last day in the Championship, it really is more entertaining than the Prem.

Barnsley with an amazing escape which is good and Charlton down which is bloody excellent assuming fans are back for the away game. Hull is good I reckon, over 15 years since we played and of course good memories up there as first game when we won the league in 96.  Gotta feel sorry for Wigan though.  
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Wednesday, July 22, 2020, 20:57:38 »

...there are a number of variables that seem to weigh against Wigan as well as needing their own win.

Wigan face Fulham who are playing for an auto spot. 
Prediction: A dramatic Score Draw

Charlton play away at Leeds. Sure Leeds fans would love them to win at home....

Despite Charlton's efforts...going by the predicted result at Wigan Pier, the result here may not matter and I doubt Leeds fans will be bothered about the importance.
Prediction: A beer soaked Draw (poss score draw).

Luton play Blackburn who have shit all to play for (perhaps they forgot that when busting a gut v Berkshire Royals today). Going on current form, Luton do have some of the best in the division....I would back them to do it again and get a win here too.
Prediction: Luton Win

NB: Barnsley could shock them all, with a slim outside chance. It is very slim though and relies on at first, a victory versus Forest.
Prediction: Draw (which won't be enough) and go on to lose their last match v Brentford.

...Luton have the best opportunity to beat the drop.
Charlton have less work to do but they have been poor so I feel they will be sweating more on the Wigan result, rather than getting the job done.
Wigan have the toughest task in winning terms...they do have to win their match, whereas (as risky as it is) the others don't have to win from the outset.

I think that wasn't a bad call. Luton definitely took their opportunity. Charlton didn't draw but as I mentioned they definitely relied on other results which ultimately was risky and not enough. Wigan had to win, they didn't and likewise the score draw was called. Barnsley indeed did shock pretty much all of them by winning their last two games to leapfrog two on the last day. What a feeling for them but Luton most impressive, their form showed that they should do it.

Side note for Forest (who lost to Stoke 1-4). Have to say that is the bottling of a decade but their form had been patchy. Big credit to Swansea doing more than enough who in reverse have had pretty decent form. Brentford similarly bottled a great chance (no discredit to Barnsley) in their last two games so will be gutted. You would have to back Fulham or Swansea in the POs. I give Fulham the edge to get promoted out of the four but the Swans will be incredibly buoyant indeed.

Pending inquiry (this will be fun), we are joined in L1 by Hull (no appeal), Wigan (very likely to appeal), and Charlton (like Hull they don't have much to appeal for). Depending on   the Wigan outcome we would be joined by Barnsley instead of Wigan. This may trigger appeals by Barnsley, who of course have played their season to the letter.

My own opinion and understanding is that the rules state if you go into administration during a season, then you are deducted 12pts so Wigan should be relegated. Tough tits. They simply haven't done enough. It's shit for the fans but they should take issue up with the people who run their club and speak with their feet (the irony in the current climate). Other teams have had 12pts deducted for the same reasons so no special treatment thanks.

Them's the breaks.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday, July 22, 2020, 21:40:09 »

So are we cheering on Swansea in the hope of getting the BFG back?

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday, July 22, 2020, 21:56:50 »

They are siging Woodman anyway i thought
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Thursday, July 23, 2020, 06:23:10 »

my line manager is a Forest fan Smiley
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Thursday, July 23, 2020, 06:29:50 »

So are we cheering on Swansea in the hope of getting the BFG back?
I would have thought that we would stand a decent chance of getting Benda back even if they're in The Championship next season.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Thursday, July 23, 2020, 07:39:56 »

Tricky to say what Wigan/Charlton/Hull will be like next season. All in varying levels of turmoil all of which can end with a change of ownership.

Good to avoid Luton (and possibly Barnsley) though.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: