Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Camera recommendations/advice  (Read 10663 times)

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, July 15, 2020, 12:22:46 »

Thanks for that link. Appreciate your advice too.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, July 15, 2020, 17:16:41 »

No probs Arriba. I mentioned similar to PV regarding sensor size and megapixel ratio in my 'info script' above. Good advice to follow and as above do plenty of your own research before parting with any C-ash.

Above all, enjoy getting to know your camera and everything it encompasses  Smiley

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Saturday, July 25, 2020, 15:24:48 »

Bought this one today https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/cameras-and-camcorders/digital-cameras/compact-and-bridge-cameras/sony-cyber-shot-dsc-hx60b-superzoom-compact-camera-black-10190167-pdt.html?store=2209&=--present--&istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istFeedId=2928af81-b29b-476c-a180-ac5de265a98e&istItemId=wqlqxraqt&istBid=t&srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~0001+(PLA)+COMPACT+CAMERAS~All+Compacts~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&kwid=GOOGLE&device=m&ds_kids=92700055617862383&tgtid=0001+(PLA)+COMPACT+CAMERAS&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlb6Y4N3o6gIVDJ53Ch1CbQ17EAUYAiABEgKEofD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds Good reviews and seems good spec for the ££££.
« Last Edit: Saturday, July 25, 2020, 15:28:56 by Arriba » Logged
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Saturday, July 25, 2020, 22:11:24 »

That is a great price and you will get some decentish shots. The biggest downside is the small sensor at 7.8mm. You'd need an increase of over 300% in sensor size to have images you'd be really happy with, especially when zooming (going by what you have said previously for long lens nature shots). It also has a fairly low ISO so will struggle in some low light or dusky shots. The optical zoom is good at 30x but as above, with the small sensor anything beyond 5x will likely come out lower quality than you'd be happy with. Inside that should definitely be fine, so standard shots with a 2/3x should be fairly good.

The HD Video at 24fps is a decent trade off as that is the cinematography recording frame rate, so they should look pretty authentic and not smooth "heavy" like some of the newer cameras recording at 60fps. The Wifi and NFC are good to have considering this is a slightly older model and I doubt later models in this range will have much better in spec. The only thing they might have is a larger sensor, poss 11 or 12mm but that still is some 200% less than most DSLR sensors.

I wouldn't really entertain the digital zoom to be honest. This is a great compact that will help you dip your toes a little. I'll be honest and say there is better and cheaper (in terms of image quality). I can't really speak for the range of models in this series but I bet the next (more expensive) model up won't have many differences of significance.

I can't see if this also shoots in RAW either, which would be another good trade off as you'd be able to process some of the more zoomed in or cropped images to get them looking pretty good. Sadly, it looks as though it doesn't.

Don't despair though, overall you should get some decent shots and the Video option is a great option at a decent quality. In some ways this camera would've been much better had the megapixels been at 10 or 12mp instead of 24mp; thus achieving a higher pixel sensor area.

Hey ho, the most important thing is you will get some nice "wider" and "standard" shots as well as enjoying using it. Plus it's super portable for both the mrs and yourself. I just feel that in time, you'll end up feeling disappointed by the zoom quality difference at the higher end. Which will then likely lead your curiosity towards either a Bridge or straight in to a DSLR.

Not sure if you was looking for a follow up but that's an honest assessment.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #19 on: Sunday, July 26, 2020, 09:31:55 »

They are decent cameras at a good price, I am sure it will do all you need it to do and more.

A good choice.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, August 6, 2020, 10:15:10 »

Missed these responses gents, apologies.
Was meant to be going away tomorrow(which was the purpose of the purchase) and with the amount of dolphin and whale activity in the area would have got some great shots I'm sure. Not going now due to dog's health issues so will have to wait a while to get the best out of it. Never mind, happy with the camera and thanks for the assistance.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #21 on: Thursday, August 6, 2020, 10:18:44 »

Missed these responses gents, apologies.
Was meant to be going away tomorrow(which was the purpose of the purchase) and with the amount of dolphin and whale activity in the area would have got some great shots I'm sure. Not going now due to dog's health issues so will have to wait a while to get the best out of it. Never mind, happy with the camera and thanks for the assistance.
Glad you are happy and so sorry to hear about the dog, be with him/her when they need you most, make the most of your time with them.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: