Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Estate Agents  (Read 4777 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, July 8, 2020, 09:14:44 »

Pondering selling up in London and moving out somewhere commutable. Does anyone have any tips for Estate Agents, or even the process of selling a gaff?

Best to use one of the 'bigger boys' or not etc etc?

Any tips or advice (relevant to house selling) welcome Smiley

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Valid Pint

« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, July 8, 2020, 09:28:44 »

Property is theft.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, July 8, 2020, 09:49:04 »

Pondering selling up in London and moving out somewhere commutable. Does anyone have any tips for Estate Agents, or even the process of selling a gaff?

Best to use one of the 'bigger boys' or not etc etc?

Any tips or advice (relevant to house selling) welcome Smiley

To be honest as long as they advertise through one of the national websites (Rightmove etc) big or small doesn't make a huge amount of difference these days. Take a look at the quality of the sales particulars they prepare (some are dreadfully shit) and invite a few round for a free valuation, however don't necessarily go for the one who offers the highest valuation, there is a company round here that notoriously value high to get the business then invariably sell at a discount which brings it down to the value of all the others.
RWB Robin

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, July 8, 2020, 10:20:28 »

We recently used Purplebricks  and were less than enamoured. They are probably ok for 'run of the mill's sales (a d are certainly cheaper), but ours needed to be a tively 'sold' a d they just don't provide that kind of service.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, July 8, 2020, 10:24:15 »

We recently used Purplebricks  and were less than enamoured. They are probably ok for 'run of the mill's sales (a d are certainly cheaper), but ours needed to be a tively 'sold' a d they just don't provide that kind of service.

Not sure to what extent that its true, but there was an investigative piece on the radio which suggested that if a property doesn't sell quickly they rapidly lose interest and basically just leave you to fend for yourself.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, July 8, 2020, 10:42:02 »

Bushey Boy on here
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, July 8, 2020, 10:49:27 »

As mentioned earlier, you are effectively paying for access to Rightmove by using an agent.

Nothing to see here
Panda Paws

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, July 8, 2020, 10:53:21 »

My Brother in law is an independent estate agent - get's better results than the big boys because every £ on a sale matters more to him.

Let me know if you want his details.

EDIT: Should have mentioned, he's London based.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, July 8, 2020, 10:59:51 by Panda Paws » Logged
JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, July 8, 2020, 10:56:47 »

You should also generally avoid using the factory type conveyancers that will be recommended by the agents (who get a kicker from this).

Nothing to see here
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, July 8, 2020, 11:12:44 »

Having just sold two houses and attempted to buy three, I'd recommend getting a decent estate agent where they take good pics of the property, do viewings for you, include a floor plan, and give you a personal contact who will deal with your sale.

That said, selling in London might be a different kettle of fish.
Panda Paws

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, July 8, 2020, 11:23:13 »

Having just sold two houses and attempted to buy three, I'd recommend getting a decent estate agent where they take good pics of the property, do viewings for you, include a floor plan, and give you a personal contact who will deal with your sale.

That said, selling in London might be a different kettle of fish.

Nope, all just as important here. Decent marketing plan, well-researched pricing strategy etc absolutely vital.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, July 8, 2020, 11:26:53 »

You should also generally avoid using the factory type conveyancers that will be recommended by the agents (who get a kicker from this).

We used most recently a small conveyancer who has set up in town single contact and all that, much better and cheaper than the solicitor we used previously who was bloody useless, the sale turned out to be much more hassle than envisaged due to my mums dementia and whilst I sorted it out the conveyancer had to draft more documents than expected and charged us nothing for the unforeseen work.

At the same time, it was blindingly obvious that the sellers solicitor was knocking out 1 line letters running the meter up!  
JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, July 8, 2020, 11:29:17 »

Pricing is the issue at the moment.

Nothing to see here
JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, July 8, 2020, 11:33:11 »

We used most recently a small conveyancer who has set up in town single contact and all that, much better and cheaper than the solicitor we used previously who was bloody useless, the sale turned out to be much more hassle than envisaged due to my mums dementia and whilst I sorted it out the conveyancer had to draft more documents than expected and charged us nothing for the unforeseen work.

At the same time, it was blindingly obvious that the sellers solicitor was knocking out 1 line letters running the meter up!  

That's probably right although most conveyancers are working on fixed fees.  It is only usually on the higher value properties that the conveyancer will 'get away' with a fee based on hourly rates.

Nothing to see here
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, July 8, 2020, 12:08:06 »

Im selling up.

Had one viewing as estate Agents will only proceed with 'proceedable buyers' so...a letter of a mortgage offer not good enough to view in person. You need a shit load of cash in a suitcase OR a nailed on offer for your place and time constraints to get out. I struggle to see how that encourages the market? Prepared to be educated by you on here.Please.

Previously ive just looked at houses whilst mine was selling..

A bit of BS from the estate Agents there IMO .....lots of staff on furlough and easier to sell online as viewings are a hassle.

Clems Army!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: