Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Windows 10 laptop - sound jumping around  (Read 3114 times)
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« on: Sunday, July 5, 2020, 14:57:35 »

Problem: Without the volume bar moving, the sound on my laptop randomly goes really quiet, then loud for a bit, quiet again, etc. Been happening about two weeks.

Have tried: Updating drivers (all up to date), rolling back drivers (worked for a bit and must have auto-updated next time I re-start the laptop), uninstalling drivers (didn't re-install drivers, just had no sound), installing alternative drivers manually (so many to choose from, makes my brain hurt), troubleshooting (doesn't recognise there is an issue), disabling audio effects (or whatever it's called). Google tends to just give me a variation of those solutions. Also tried downloading from Realtek directly (searched specifically for a driver someone mentioned had worked for them) but the installion failed.

Any ideas? Driving me up the wall. Headphones are ok.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #1 on: Sunday, July 5, 2020, 16:48:36 »

Thats an unusual problem, are you certain that there isn't a key stuck down?

Can be caused by a bit of dirt stuck in them or even a slight liquid spill between the membranes.

Double check sound enhancements in the sound settings, make sure they are all turned off as they can give spurius results randomly.

Right click the sound icon and check that communications tab is set to "do nothing" in the automatically adjust sounds when you recieve a telephone call.

Do you have any USB device plugged in at all? even a mouse? these can have a weird effect at times on lots of things.

Reboot the laptop in Safe Mode and see if it still happens, if it does then its not a software related issue and more likely to be a hardware fault.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
ibelieveinmrreeves

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, July 5, 2020, 19:00:59 »

Thats an unusual problem, are you certain that there isn't a key stuck down?

Can be caused by a bit of dirt stuck in them or even a slight liquid spill between the membranes.

Double check sound enhancements in the sound settings, make sure they are all turned off as they can give spurius results randomly.

Right click the sound icon and check that communications tab is set to "do nothing" in the automatically adjust sounds when you recieve a telephone call.

Do you have any USB device plugged in at all? even a mouse? these can have a weird effect at times on lots of things.

Reboot the laptop in Safe Mode and see if it still happens, if it does then its not a software related issue and more likely to be a hardware fault.

Definitely no key stuck down. Volume bar never changes. Couldn't find the communications tab? Doesn't seem to be an option that comes up but will have another look.

No USB devices. Will give Safe Mode a try as well. Cheers PV.

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, July 5, 2020, 20:02:13 »

Windows update?

Couple of years back the mouse pad on my laptop started zipping around all over the place and after fuck load of pissing about transpired it was due to an update had fucked itup as not compatible with the driver,  similarly at the moment my printer has packed up, but if I remove windows updates it will print?
ibelieveinmrreeves

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, July 6, 2020, 21:01:39 »

I booted in Safe Mode and the sound is still fucked. Will look in the morning about how to get it repaired as it's only a few months old. Thanks both.

Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, July 7, 2020, 06:24:33 »

Would be under warranty then.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
ibelieveinmrreeves

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Friday, July 24, 2020, 15:48:44 »

JUst realised I posted this in the wrong forum - whoops.

Anyway I went onto the HP website to look into getting it sent off for repair, and it turns out it's a common enough issue that they had a fix and it worked Cheesy .

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, July 24, 2020, 15:59:10 »

what was the fix then?!
ibelieveinmrreeves

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Friday, July 24, 2020, 20:49:40 »

Just specified drivers to replace what had been updated.

Edit: Although it seems the problem has returned anyway Crash
« Last Edit: Friday, July 24, 2020, 21:18:48 by ibelieveinmrreeves » Logged

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Friday, July 24, 2020, 21:39:25 »

damnit!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: