Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 ... 43   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: EFL Play-Offs  (Read 93200 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #525 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2020, 09:42:22 »

I get some of you aren't tribal/think local derby's are more hassle than they're worth...

but for the rest of us, it's open season!

what's the point of rivalry if you can't dish it out when the time comes. You know it's coming back when fortunes swing, and rightly so.

Local derbies are kinda like the play offs.

Brilliant when you win, nothing better. Absolutely fucking atrocious when you lose....and we致e lost them all recently....
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #526 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2020, 09:43:43 »

I've never seen Oxford beat us, I shall be in attendance next season. If crowds are allowed back by then.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I知 A Scientist.

« Reply #527 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2020, 09:44:25 »

Assuming that Div 3 does go ahead in some form, it would be nice to get Luton at the CG for the opener as in 1920/21.  We could then revisit our first ever FL in the centenary season.  I doubt any other club has managed such a convincing win on their opening game.
And for Swindon never since equalled for goal quanity by a Swindon side in the league.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
kirky69

Ignore
« Reply #528 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2020, 09:57:57 »

Talking of which...

The bottom of the Championship is getting tight as to who will join us next season in L1!

All with 3 games left to play.

Stoke 49
Birmingham 49
Middlesborough 47
Huddersfield 47
Charlton 46
------------------
Hull 45
Luton 44
Barnsley 43

Not forgetting Wigan who with their 12 point penalty are effectively bottom on 42 points.

For away days (if they happen at all next season) would be nice to see Luton, Charlton and Birmingham coming down. I therefore fully expect it to be 3 of Barnsley, Wigan, Huddersfield and Hull!

Some 6 pointers still to play:
Wigan v Hull 14/7
Birmingham v Charlton 15/7
Charlton v Wigan 18/7
Hull v Luton 18/7
stfcjack

The Swindon lot don't seem to respect you

Ignore
« Reply #529 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2020, 10:00:59 »

Definately this.

I am sorry to say that Oxford deserve all the shit they get for dishing out the shit previously.

Slavetraders and Gas do it but not to the extent that Oxford do it, and rightly so really, they are after all our fiercest recent rivals. 30 years ago it would have been either Bristol club that were stronger rivals.

The Oxford press haven't helped things in fairly recent years either. I remember one story about how great Oxford was and how awful Swindon was by comparison, making the Adver post a reply stating about how both Towns/Cities have their good and bad points.

Also things like...

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/18470833.fake-oxford-city-council-poster-bashes-swindon/

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/14733275.john-lundstram-taken-aback-intensity-oxford-uniteds-rivalry-swindon-town/

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/5064176.oxford-faces-music-swindon-rivalry/

The hatred seems far more biased from them to us as the Adver often tries to print positive stories.

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/15709068.a-match-made-in-heaven-oxford-keen-to-be-linked-with-swindon/

A few more of the links to the rivalry from nationwide press.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/17224115

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/2790804/swindon-oxford-violent-clashes-league-one-five-arrested/

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/biggest-rivalry-uk-football-liverpool-5363972

https://smfyfe.wordpress.com/2019/11/23/uks-greatest-football-rivalry-part-3-the-top-ten/

https://blog.betway.com/football/football-league/ranking-the-8-biggest-derbies-in-the-efl/

http://wearegoingup.co.uk/2011/08/19/rivalries-we%E2%80%99ve-had-a-few-but-then-again-just-one-to-mention/

And finally from the Washbag.

https://thewashbag.com/2011/08/19/swindon-oxford-the-birth-of-a-rivalry/

Just a little light reading Smiley

I'm shocked that we feature in their local rag so much, especially the one about the music  We really fucking rattle them don't we
Peter Venkman

« Reply #530 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2020, 10:19:54 »

Not forgetting Wigan who with their 12 point penalty are effectively bottom on 42 points.

For away days (if they happen at all next season) would be nice to see Luton, Charlton and Birmingham coming down. I therefore fully expect it to be 3 of Barnsley, Wigan, Huddersfield and Hull!

Some 6 pointers still to play:
Wigan v Hull 14/7
Birmingham v Charlton 15/7
Charlton v Wigan 18/7
Hull v Luton 18/7

You are right I had forgotten Wigan.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #531 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2020, 10:20:24 »

I'm shocked that we feature in their local rag so much, especially the one about the music  We really fucking rattle them don't we
More than they rattle us I would think, long may it continue!

Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #532 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2020, 10:39:28 »

Fair play to Adebayo Akinfenwa too for making The Championship for the first time in his career at 38 years of age. He scored his first goal against Swindon for Boston in 2003!

I always associate him with Torquay United but he was only with them for a season. I remember that strike partnership with Leon Constantine and Jo Kuffour causing us all sorts of problems (they still went down).
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #533 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2020, 10:41:23 »

Fair play to Adebayo Akinfenwa too for making The Championship for the first time in his career at 38 years of age.
Hmm, he hasn't yet. The team he plays for have been promoted to play in it next season, I'd be (pleasantly) surprised if he's part of that team when the season starts.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #534 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2020, 10:47:34 »

Hmm, he hasn't yet. The team he plays for have been promoted to play in it next season, I'd be (pleasantly) surprised if he's part of that team when the season starts.

I'm sure they'll keep him around.

Love the idea of Akinfenwa coming on in the 90th minute to cause havok around the corner flags of Championship stadia.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #535 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2020, 10:57:56 »

I'm sure they'll keep him around.

Love the idea of Akinfenwa coming on in the 90th minute to cause havok around the corner flags of Championship stadia.
I think Bayo is a great target man but after watching him last night I think hes now past it, he may be kept around for 1 more season as a lucky talisman for them though.

When he came on he could barely jump to win the ball like his boots were made of lead and he was put clean through half way inside their half with nobody in front of him and it was like he was treading in treacle, the defender, who he had a 5 yard head start on him had dispossessed him within 10 yards.

A couple of years ago he was easily the best target man we faced in L2, now I am afraid hes past his useful level.

I also think he must have bulked up by at least another stone since we last played against him.

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #536 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2020, 11:03:58 »

I think Bayo is a great target man but after watching him last night I think hes now past it, he may be kept around for 1 more season as a lucky talisman for them though.

When he came on he could barely jump to win the ball like his boots were made of lead and he was put clean through half way inside their half with nobody in front of him and it was like he was treading in treacle, the defender, who he had a 5 yard head start on him had dispossessed him within 10 yards.

A couple of years ago he was easily the best target man we faced in L2, now I am afraid hes past his useful level.

I also think he must have bulked up by at least another stone since we last played against him.
TBF I don't remember him ever nipping around the pitch like a gazelle
Peter Venkman

« Reply #537 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2020, 11:07:06 »

TBF I don't remember him ever nipping around the pitch like a gazelle
Oh never gazelle like in fleetness of foot but I would say he has lost the last yard of pace he had, he was even bundled off the ball a couple of times by the huge Oxford centre back marking him.

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #538 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2020, 11:10:03 »

Whilst Bayo is of course a cult figure and fair play to still be playing at 38 in league 1 is a great achievement, bringing him on for the last 28 minutes effectively meant Wycombe were playing with 10 men. He barely touched the ball, barely moved and literally had no effect on the pitch at all. Had Oxford taken the game to extra time he surely would have had to have been sacrificed for a proper player.

It will be fascinating to see if he goes into coaching/management or gets a job in TV.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #539 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2020, 11:14:25 »

Whilst Bayo is of course a cult figure and fair play to still be playing at 38 in league 1 is a great achievement, bringing him on for the last 28 minutes effectively meant Wycombe were playing with 10 men. He barely touched the ball, barely moved and literally had no effect on the pitch at all. Had Oxford taken the game to extra time he surely would have had to have been sacrificed for a proper player.

It will be fascinating to see if he goes into coaching/management or gets a job in TV.
He was a passenger, and if you didn't watch the game you certainly wouldnt have seen how awful he was.

As for a job after football...I recommend he goes into the building industry, as a building.

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 ... 43   Go Up
Print
Jump to: