Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 ... 43   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: EFL Play-Offs  (Read 92302 times)
Nick Bamosomi
Bitter & Twisted

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: Thursday, July 2, 2020, 14:14:04 »

Me too, there were about 1,000 of us left inside Wembley when they lifted the trophy. We were shocking but yes I never thought it would take this long to get over.

Yep. Anyone whos says the play-offs are great needs to remember that day.
Otherwise the play-offs are only great when your team isn't in them.

Never , under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same  night
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: Thursday, July 2, 2020, 14:22:12 »

Me too, there were about 1,000 of us left inside Wembley when they lifted the trophy. We were shocking but yes I never thought it would take this long to get over.

I stayed to "watch" too. The best thing I remember about that day was meeting and subsequently meeting again a fantastic Kosovan guy, who worked as a Bus Driver at Golders Green station. He told me his story of how he managed to get to the UK in the 90s, losing many loved ones and being able to rebuild a new life. The way he talked about nodnoL. He beamed, he was unashamedly thankful to be alive but also to come here. His sadness of his native home, always being his home yet never being able to return. That he would always be a Kosovan but he was proud to adopt the UK as his home.

In that double chance meeting, my trivial sadness quickly disappeared. An instant and stark perspective of a life seemingly eradicated, yet born out of that a new one rebuilt.

A much too familiar story that I'm sure many have heard similar. But an important one it was. Amongst all the despair of a post match hammering, he was a Phoenix personified that day.

'…never has a greater Phoenix metaphor been personified'

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: Thursday, July 2, 2020, 14:22:51 »

2010 finished me off with Wembley...didn't go to the Paint Pot Final in '12 or the Preston abomination in '15. Best two decision I ever made...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: Thursday, July 2, 2020, 14:26:33 »

Paint pot 12 was ok for me, was pressed off we lost but only for a few hours.

10, and especially 15 had me down for days.

but I know I'd go again, just in case...
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #244 on: Thursday, July 2, 2020, 14:41:27 »

I've been to every Wembley appearance we've made since 1990   Pint
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: Thursday, July 2, 2020, 14:42:29 »

Didn't go because I am a shit fan, plus from recollection it was an early evening kick off and you could not do it in a single day from up here (felt for the Preston fans, just another example of the EFL not giving a shite about fans), also seen us enough times against Preston to know that we would be shit (we always seem to be) and just couldn't face a hotel cost on top of Wemberley costs!

Watched it on the Telly, as expected we were shite but  the stats seem to give us more credit than we deserve.

Preston    Swindon
Possession    32%    68%
Goals scored      4             0
Shots on targets  6        3
Shots off target   3        10
Fouls committed 14       7
Corner kicks     3        6
Yellow cards     0        1
Red cards     0            0
« Last Edit: Thursday, July 2, 2020, 14:45:17 by horlock07 » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: Thursday, July 2, 2020, 14:49:14 »

thus allowing Luke Williams possession stats football (yeah cooper was manger then, I know) can be utterly pointless
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #247 on: Thursday, July 2, 2020, 14:51:54 »

There were rail strikes on if I remember correctly? I drove, so I was sober  Suicide
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: Thursday, July 2, 2020, 14:54:44 »

Didn't go because I am a shit fan, plus from recollection it was an early evening kick off and you could not do it in a single day from up here (felt for the Preston fans, just another example of the EFL not giving a shite about fans), also seen us enough times against Preston to know that we would be shit (we always seem to be) and just couldn't face a hotel cost on top of Wemberley costs!

Watched it on the Telly, as expected we were shite but  the stats seem to give us more credit than we deserve.

I drove down from Preston. It was not an enjoyable journey home, but the train would have been much worse had they been running!
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: Thursday, July 2, 2020, 14:57:21 »

I was behind the goal and stayed for the presentation but the stewards ushered everyone out shortly afterwards.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #250 on: Thursday, July 2, 2020, 15:13:25 »

I drove down from Preston. It was not an enjoyable journey home, but the train would have been much worse had they been running!

I was on a National Express from/to Derby. Enjoyable much?! But reflective on the journey back after chatting to the Kosovan bloke.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #251 on: Thursday, July 2, 2020, 16:52:58 »

There were rail strikes on if I remember correctly? I drove, so I was sober  Suicide
I drove with my Liverpool supporting best mate and Arsenal supporting daughter. Took me nearly 3 hours, managed to park at Harrow and Wealdtone for free for the day, easy being a Sunday. 3 stops down to Wembley Central on the overground.

Couldn't use the train as there were no trains back from Waterloo to Crewkerne on a Sunday after 7.30pm and with the EFL deciding not to KO the match until 5.30pm if we had managed to get to extra time (even without it) we wouldnt have made it back to Waterloo before about 9pm well after the last train had left on a Sunday.

Its a bloody long day if you take the train from here, a minimum of a 3 hour train trip to Waterloo, then Underground to Marylebone 20 min trip and 5 min walk after, then Marylebone to Wembley overground 20 mins making it almost impossible to do in less than 4 hours.

And at the end of that it was really not worth it.

300 mile round trip at least it only cost me about £25 in diesel and £3 each in train tickets compaired to costing £180 for 3 of us on the train!

Went to the JPT on the train and got home at 11.30pm after leaving at 7.30am, never again on the train.

Yes I am still bitter and yes I would have to think hard about going if Town got there again.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #252 on: Thursday, July 2, 2020, 17:04:03 »

I parked in some streets I know about 1/2 mile from Stamford Bridge, kept away from the usual haunts  Smiley
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #253 on: Thursday, July 2, 2020, 17:07:11 »

I'd have to get a flight, still think I'd do it.  Madness.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: Thursday, July 2, 2020, 20:53:15 »

I'd have to get a flight, still think I'd do it.  Madness.

It is ey? I think we've all healed a fair bit now. I'm sure had we got in the POs the following year or two later, lots would not be able to stomach it, despite any form.

But similarly, I think now even if I lived abroad, I'd very likely end up going again.

Spare a thought for Preston thoughh. They had to have a break some stage. I'm certain they'd lost their last 9(nine) PO appearances (3 or 4 of them finals) before winning against us. Possibly fate because their fans must've feared the worse. Had they beat Col Utd on the last day, they would've gone up automatic and we would've ended up playing MKFranchise but they slipped out of the autos losing 1-0. So potentially fated that they would win the POs on the 10th occasion.

But guess who could've made a big difference had he still been at Chesterfield in Preston's SF win? He scored a hattrick v PNE in the league for the Spirities. I also forgot he had an on field fight with Beckford when he was at Preston a couple of years later (a la Dyer & Bowyer. Gareth Barry played peacemaker that day. Angel was some player though ); which eventually saw him out of favour?

None other than, the Ginger Messiah.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 ... 43   Go Up
Print
Jump to: