Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 ... 43   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: EFL Play-Offs  (Read 92300 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: Tuesday, June 30, 2020, 14:13:32 »

Exeter had a good few years of goalkeeping stability with Christy Pym or Bobby Olejnik as number 1 with James Hamon as the settled back-up.

I know Maxted played yesterday but Lewis Ward's performance at the CG this season was one of the poorest I've seen in a good while and he largely got away with it.

If you compare Maxted to Benda in regulation league games, you find that Maxted has played 17 games to Benda's 24, both have kept 10 clean sheets.  Maxted has conceded 19 goals, Benda 23.  Maxted concedes at a rate of just over 1 a game Benda just under 1.   Benda has a clean sheet % of 43%, Maxted 59%.   Exeter's defensive seems generally solid, but is then prone to shipping a few if conceding a goal.... perhaps an issue of game management.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: Tuesday, June 30, 2020, 15:05:33 »

Saw the highlights on quest. Exeter’s GK was MOTM, in my humble opinion. Sure four went past him but bloody hell, could have been double that, as for their defence, where was it?
Welcome back
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: Tuesday, June 30, 2020, 15:15:56 »

If you compare Maxted to Benda in regulation league games, you find that Maxted has played 17 games to Benda's 24, both have kept 10 clean sheets.  Maxted has conceded 19 goals, Benda 23.  Maxted concedes at a rate of just over 1 a game Benda just under 1.   Benda has a clean sheet % of 43%, Maxted 59%.   Exeter's defensive seems generally solid, but is then prone to shipping a few if conceding a goal.... perhaps an issue of game management.

Not sure clean sheets tell the full story. 

Nothing to see here
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #213 on: Tuesday, June 30, 2020, 15:18:58 »

So basically what you are saying is that Maxted is as good as Benda?

Have you ever actually watched Maxted play? if you think he is anywhere near as good as Benda or for that matter even McCormack then I do not trust your judgement on goalkeepers, sorry.

Do not judge purely by stats judge by performances.

He conceded more in 1 game than Swindon have conceded with any keeper since Wellens first game in charge.

RCC would have kept that many clean sheets behind that defence this season IMO, one of the tightest in the whole football league.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: Tuesday, June 30, 2020, 15:27:29 »

Don't think you can underestimate the impact of playing behind closed doors, especially in bigger stadiums, plus the long lay off.  I've no idea how good or bad the keeper is usually, but the beard did not help.  Big beards on keepers set alarm bells ringing for me, they are likely to be shit, FACT!
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: Tuesday, June 30, 2020, 15:38:36 »

Don't think you can underestimate the impact of playing behind closed doors, especially in bigger stadiums, plus the long lay off.  I've no idea how good or bad the keeper is usually, but the beard did not help.  Big beards on keepers set alarm bells ringing for me, they are likely to be shit, FACT!

Tim Howard?

Nothing to see here
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: Tuesday, June 30, 2020, 16:47:32 »

Welcome back

Not been away 😉🤭
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: Tuesday, June 30, 2020, 17:03:43 »

So basically what you are saying is that Maxted is as good as Benda?

Have you ever actually watched Maxted play? if you think he is anywhere near as good as Benda or for that matter even McCormack then I do not trust your judgement on goalkeepers, sorry.

Do not judge purely by stats judge by performances.

He conceded more in 1 game than Swindon have conceded with any keeper since Wellens first game in charge.

RCC would have kept that many clean sheets behind that defence this season IMO, one of the tightest in the whole football league.

As clearly indicated Maxted concedes at a marginally higher rate than Benda, ergo he isn't quite as good, however the clean sheet ratio suggests that if all Grecians defensive parts are working he can keep a clean sheet, which is a desirable attribute.
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: Tuesday, June 30, 2020, 17:07:42 »

I agree that clean sheets are only part of the answer to whether a keeper is a good one.
The quality of the rest of the defence can impact adversely on whether a clean sheet is achieved - our team under Cooper with Foderingham is an example of that - some very poor goals conceded in the second half of that season.
The other point is distribution when in possession - Benda’s ability in this regard was a major contribution to our style of play this season - he did mix it up / go long too, and he understood the importance of playing it wide rather than central when defending at the Stratton end in the wind tunnel - unlike some of the comedians other teams had between the posts.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: Tuesday, June 30, 2020, 17:16:00 »

I agree that clean sheets are only part of the answer to whether a keeper is a good one.
The quality of the rest of the defence can impact adversely on whether a clean sheet is achieved - our team under Cooper with Foderingham is an example of that - some very poor goals conceded in the second half of that season.
The other point is distribution when in possession - Benda’s ability in this regard was a major contribution to our style of play this season - he did mix it up / go long too, and he understood the importance of playing it wide rather than central when defending at the Stratton end in the wind tunnel - unlike some of the comedians other teams had between the posts.

The keeper as footballer is now a thing again thanks to Guardiola.... Joe Hart has just been released by Burnley, as his form had nose dived, since PG binned him off for not being good enough with the ball. That it's not quite a new thing was shown by Hoddle leaving out Fraser for Nicky Hammond who he felt was better at distribution.

Personally, I doubt too many sides in Div 3/4 will fanny about with that sort of stuff, where the old fashioned hoof is probably more sensible.
Banker

On The Bank

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: Wednesday, July 1, 2020, 10:26:56 »

Black cloud lifted.  Cheesy

Appreciate the empathy rather than ridicule, which I'd anticipated, and it threw me somewhat until I discovered we both now share the 'heaviest defeat at a play off final' record !  Beers

Fine margins, what could have been, hey ho. You now look forward to swelling your coffers playing Sunderland, Huddersfield, Ipswich, Rovers and co. and we welcome Morecambe, Macclesfield, and Barrow once again.

COVID19 and fixture list permitting, it'll be my solemn duty to be with you in the Town End v Argyle, cheering your boys on.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: Wednesday, July 1, 2020, 10:29:08 by Banker » Logged
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: Wednesday, July 1, 2020, 10:33:13 »

I did mention somewhere before the POs started that 30 teams that played in red and white stripes and black sorts have contested the POs - and not one has won the thing!
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: Wednesday, July 1, 2020, 10:33:27 »

Black cloud lifted.  Cheesy

Appreciate the empathy rather than ridicule, which I'd anticipated, and it threw me somewhat until I discovered we both now share the 'heaviest defeat at a play off final' record !  Beers

Fine margins, what could have been, hey ho. You now look forward to swelling your coffers playing Sunderland, Huddersfield, Ipswich, Rovers and co. and we welcome Morecambe, Macclesfield, and Barrow once again.

COVID19 and fixture list permitting, it'll be my solemn duty to be with you in the Town End v Argyle, cheering your boys on.  Cheesy

Always liked Exeter and was hoping you'd come up with us. Northampton have some real quality in their squad but still play like shithouses... It felt like your manager had never seen them play.

We know all too well what it's like to have your team not show up at all in a PO final. If it's a small crumb of comfort, at least you weren't there and didn't spend a fortune!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #223 on: Wednesday, July 1, 2020, 10:41:28 »

Appreciate the empathy rather than ridicule, which I'd anticipated, and it threw me somewhat until I discovered we both now share the 'heaviest defeat at a play off final' record !  Beers
Most Town fans will appreciate that you, like us, support one of the shitter teams in the league by definition, we didn't get where we are today by winning games consitantly!

You do get some fans doing the "Billy big balls" "too big for this shit league" from some but in the main we know we are where we are becuase we have not been good enough. Some fans will always think they are far better than where they are, Bolton will be one like this for you this coming season. Bradford to an extent also.

We have been there as fans, going to Wembley (you guys watching on TV) and then the entire team decide to start their Summer holiday a day early. We know EXACTLY how that feels and its difficult to stomach.

It has taken a lot of Town fans many years to get over the utter capitulation we suffered at the hands of Preston in the L1 play off final, it took the stuffing out of a lot of fans for a long long time. The lack of effort and quality, the conceding of many soft goals.

It genuinely took me until this season to fully get over it (5 years), how a team can turn up and just look like not 1 of them are bothered about winning made me and several fans question if they deserved mine/our support.

It actually took the stuffing out of the entire club and we soon fell down the league and then were relegated within 2 years.

I hope it doesnt affect your fans and players as it did many of us and all the best for next season.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: Wednesday, July 1, 2020, 11:21:41 »

Always liked Exeter and was hoping you'd come up with us. Northampton have some real quality in their squad but still play like shithouses... It felt like your manager had never seen them play.

We know all too well what it's like to have your team not show up at all in a PO final. If it's a small crumb of comfort, at least you weren't there and didn't spend a fortune!
Agree on both counts. Spent several hundred quid on a perfectly nice family day out in London which was slightly spoiled by an absolute shitshow for 2 hours in the middle. Best of luck next season Banker, just go up auto and dodge the play-off hoodoo (and expense)
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 ... 43   Go Up
Print
Jump to: