Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Booked Holidays - what's happening with yours?  (Read 32029 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: Wednesday, July 8, 2020, 11:33:12 »

It strikes me as a very British thing to be desperate for a holiday. Not sure why. The missus is crawling up the walls at the thought of not getting away this year.

I've always blamed Cliff Richard....

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: Wednesday, July 8, 2020, 11:35:31 »

Quote from: 4D

things aren't going to be back to normal for a very long time.. but delaying may mean they are better practiced at the 'new normal' and you can see if they work in practice
The travel company I booked the package with. It's basically along the lines that I accept that products, services etc may be subject to short notice change. I take that as measures may be put in place at the resort or hotel due to Covid 19, which might mean closing the pool, restrictions etc. I don't want to spend a couple of grand to be sat in a hotel room  Smiley[/quote]

ah I see. yeah I get that they are covering themselves for 'shit holiday' lawsuits.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: Wednesday, July 8, 2020, 11:39:17 »

Quote from: mexico red
Well spain is pretty much totally back to normal. The only thing different is you have to wear face masks. Bars restaurants theme parks museums all running fine. Only issue currently is tourists arriving and not complying with law.

Everywhere has sanitizer outside that you must use before entering. There are no menus in restaurants. Every table has a QS code on it which you scan to see menus. The beaches are monitored by drones and have apps to tell you if they are too busy. To be honest it’s all pretty slick and running like a dream.

I’m in the high risk category and feel totally safe

cheers mex, very reassuring. hope Tenerife is as sorted. I'm sure they will be, another lockdown would kill half the tourist industry there.

I read they were trying to get more hugely testing of tourists before/on arrival. sounds good to me.

also read some beaches were pre-book to ensure social distance capacity isn't hit, but can find no online evidence of how to do so.
Valid Pint

« Reply #123 on: Wednesday, July 8, 2020, 12:04:02 »

In other words not worth visiting for holiday's then..  why so many people are desperate to get away on holiday (if they haven't already booked ahead of Covid) is beyond me..  The same people will be shouting later in the year that they spent X amount on a holiday and it was ruined by the (understandable) restrictions in place.. and they want a refund etc..

I'm with you on this. All very well wanting to go outside the UK to experience other cultures, food etc. But when you are all holed up in a hotel on an all-inclusive with maybe the odd day excursion on a coach full of Brits, you are more likely to be exposed to the cultures of Essex & Yorkshire. Therefore why not just go there?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: Wednesday, July 8, 2020, 13:42:03 »

cause it's sunny abroad.

if you could transport the climate here, I'd do the UK every summer
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: Wednesday, July 8, 2020, 22:36:47 »

I wouldn't call it a desperation to get away but when travel and circumstances allow, I will travel abroad. Likely Turkey. I care not for the need to be by a swimming pool or spend every day on the beach (that isn't to say they aren't valid activities) so a so called "normal" holiday isn't likely to make me worry about those things not being available.

I can totally understand those that do love to go away and do nothing but relax. That is just part of getting away for many, regardless of location. For some it's a detachment from reality for a week or so. For myself, I've always treated my time away as an extension of reality rather than a detachment. In part I love being in a place where I can understand very little of the language and have to gain part of the trust of the local element before "settling in". Trying different foods and making a fool of myself trying to piece the right  sentence together and not mistakenly telling them that "Your Mother, was an 'amster and your Father smelt of elderberries".

It's for all of those reasons above that I'll be holidaying in Clydebank later this year  Soapy Tit Wank

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: Wednesday, July 8, 2020, 22:41:24 »

If you are implying we drive to Barnard Castle that's south of Northumberland Wink, Christ if I go north that's Seahouses or Berwick, neither of which are very good for your eyesight.

Yes I did but if you're having to check your eyesight, how would you know if you were travelling North or South?  Wink

Yeah agree RE: Starmer and the BrewDog ethics. However it was mild, comparative to anything the government in situ have been guilty of.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: Thursday, July 9, 2020, 08:12:42 »

cause it's sunny abroad.

if you could transport the climate here, I'd do the UK every summer

I get that, of course I would like some sun.  What I don't fancy is having to wear a mask in between applying sun cream, not being able to swim in a pool, or if I can wondering if it is a soup of Covid and urine instead of just the usual urine. Having to go to dinner at a set time because of social distancing etc. etc. 

Paying a chunk of money now to go to spend 2 weeks in what could be a hotter more relaxed version of the lock down we have been in for the past 3 or 4 months isn't something I would be scrambling to spend my money on at the moment..  add to that the risk that you could end up getting locked down there if another spike happens.

Each to their own, but I fully expect there to be a thread on here by the end of the year about how to try to get a refund on a holiday that advertised no restrictions only to find that nothing was open when they got there..

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: Thursday, July 9, 2020, 10:04:07 »

Which is why I'm cancelling mine today Berni, will lose the flight money but hey ho.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: Thursday, July 9, 2020, 20:39:45 »

Spain cancelled, 4 nights in Dorset booked
Valid Pint

« Reply #130 on: Thursday, July 9, 2020, 20:57:26 »

Spain cancelled, 4 nights in Dorset booked

Lucky Dorset.

Grockles are go.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: Friday, July 10, 2020, 07:39:58 »

Lucky Dorset.

Grockles are go.
Thought grockles were Devon/Cornwall direction ??.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Valid Pint

« Reply #132 on: Friday, July 10, 2020, 07:50:42 »

Thought grockles were Devon/Cornwall direction ??.

A Wight Islander I know says they use the term there. I've also heard it used by Born(going down)muff locals.

But yes, I have heard it moreso in Ambrosia country & the land of giants.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: Friday, July 10, 2020, 08:03:17 »

Grockle is generally associated with Devon and Dorset AFAIK, Emmit is used in Cornwall.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: Friday, July 10, 2020, 13:41:31 »

The travel company I booked the package with. It's basically along the lines that I accept that products, services etc may be subject to short notice change. I take that as measures may be put in place at the resort or hotel due to Covid 19, which might mean closing the pool, restrictions etc. I don't want to spend a couple of grand to be sat in a hotel room  Smiley

A couple of Grand?? Its hard enough getting a round out of you....only breathe in!
« Last Edit: Friday, July 10, 2020, 13:43:04 by THE FLASH » Logged

Clems Army!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: