Poll
Question: What would you rather
Oxford lose to Pompey in the play off semis - 11 (23.4%)
Oxford beat Pompey, lose the final in heartbreaking fashion - 16 (34%)
Don't care - 20 (42.6%)
Total Voters: 42

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What would you rather  (Read 7932 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2020, 09:33:39 »

In some respects, I would take a couple of seasons of hoof ball and 'shithousery' if that yielded a change in fortunes.
For me its a no, a little hoof and a little shithousery I can accept but not a full 90 mins of it every game.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2020, 09:36:08 »

In some respects, I would take a couple of seasons of hoof ball and 'shithousery' if that yielded a change in fortunes.

I assume most people would if I got us back into the 2nd tier, it’s ultimately a results business.

Entertainment is nice but I doubt Wycombe fans have any complaints about their style right now
Peter Venkman

« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2020, 09:37:32 »

I assume most people would if I got us back into the 2nd tier, it’s ultimately a results business.

Entertainment is nice but I doubt Wycombe fans have any complaints about their style right now
Going by their forum they seem totally oblivious of it and just relishing in the promotion.

Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2020, 09:44:20 »

Going by their forum they seem totally oblivious of it and just relishing in the promotion.

If Swindon got promoted to The Championship and within the first 12 hours somebody was on TEF saying 'well we'll probably go down next year unless with do this and that' then I'd be pushing for a short-term forum ban...!

Smiley
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2020, 09:45:54 »

Good to hear, I’m pleased for them

They had the FA Cup semi a few years back but their fans must be in dreamland. Can’t be much more than 20 years ago they got into the FL, with all levels of the game becoming more dependent on your finances it’s good to see a side like that making the 2nd tier.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2020, 09:45:59 »

Winning > Performance

I’d take 10 years of hoofball and shithousery if it meant we dominated football like Liverpool in the 80s, Manchester United in the 90s...
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2020, 09:46:37 »

Going on the screams of FFFOOOOORRRWWWAAAAARRRDDD from large sections of the county ground, hoofball is attractive to many punters.

Nothing to see here
Flashheart

« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2020, 09:47:12 »

If Swindon got promoted to The Championship and within the first 12 hours somebody was on TEF saying 'well we'll probably go down next year unless with do this and that' then I'd be pushing for a short-term forum ban...!

I can think of a few candidates already.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2020, 09:50:24 »

Smiley
Oh absolutely, but they seem totally oblivious to their own style of play, the lack of entertainment is far less important than results, which I can understand, but to bury your heads in the sand as to how you have achieved it I just don't understand.

When Sky put the ranking up for total passes, passes completed, short passes, possession in games, 10+ pass sequence....over the season Oxford were 1st on every stat and Wycombe 23rd on every stat, only Bolton were below them.

Yet here we are! Cheesy

« Last Edit: Tuesday, July 14, 2020, 11:02:57 by Peter Venkman » Logged

JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2020, 09:57:51 »

I suppose the trite observation is that you don't get points for passes completed etc.

Nothing to see here
Peter Venkman

« Reply #25 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2020, 10:17:53 »

I suppose the trite observation is that you don't get points for passes completed etc.
Indeed you do not.

jutty274

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2020, 11:21:06 »

What sort of stat is Width per Passing Sequence??

Stats are unreliable because you can take the same data and manipulate it to your own gain.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #27 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2020, 11:30:39 »

Stats are unreliable because you can take the same data and manipulate it to your own gain.
NFI!

Sounds made up to manipulate figures as you rightly point out.

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2020, 11:48:52 »

It's the distance between the left-most and right-most point in any given sequence of passes. It's used to measure how teams try to open up the opposition within a passing sequence and differentiates between a 5-pass sequence where you ping it around in little 5 yard triangles but don't really switch the point of attack vs a 5-pass sequence that switches from left to right and back again for example where you're possibly more likely to open a side up. But as a stat on it's own without context it doesn't really serve much purpose. I suppose the contrast would indicate that Wycombe are more direct than Oxford.
https://www.optasports.com/news/opta-s-event-definitions/
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2020, 12:03:07 »

If only Luke Williams had cottoned on..
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: