Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Adver Player of the Year  (Read 6663 times)
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« on: Saturday, June 13, 2020, 08:08:54 »

Five options, namely...

Benda
Doyle
Grant
DJ
Yates

My first reaction was WTF is DJ in there? Very skillful, lots of promise, lightning fast, cracking goal at Plymouth, one for the future etc but Player of the Year contender? With the greatest of respect, not a chance. I would have had Rob Hunt in there personally. Really consistent performer throughout the season. I would have put Doughty ahead of him as well - I don't actually know why there aren't more choices.

I personally can't separate Doyle and Grant so would have to award it to them jointly. Take away the contribution of either and we wouldn't have won the league.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, June 13, 2020, 08:16:54 »

I'm with you a joint decision by me both superb players who contributed so much. Maybe if Doyle hadn't of come back Grant may have edged it but that's really splitting hairs

So, give no fucks
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, June 13, 2020, 08:25:13 »

My first reaction was WTF

4 titles in 141 years  Angry .....bollocks what about the the 2 Soutern Leagues?   The standard of the Adver continues to plummet. It's a shame as their old PotY, used to be a well run thing, that made it quite prestigious for a player to win.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, June 13, 2020, 10:09:59 »

Swap DJ for Hunt and I think we have our top five.  DJ had a good season, btw and I'd have him back in a heartbeat.

Grant for me, but genuine joint winners with him and Doyle seems quite fair, too.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Flashheart

« Reply #4 on: Saturday, June 13, 2020, 10:10:56 »

Grant, the destroyer.
smalltowngypsymassacre

« Reply #5 on: Saturday, June 13, 2020, 10:18:16 »

Shared between Doyle and Grant, with Yates in second. Pretty easy for me
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #6 on: Saturday, June 13, 2020, 10:27:58 »

Grant for me but Doyle is equally as deserving.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Richie Wellen-Dowd

« Reply #7 on: Saturday, June 13, 2020, 10:38:46 »

As pivotal as Grant was, I'd go with Doyle for his incredible scoring run.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, June 13, 2020, 10:39:26 »

So, I think that this debate was largely played out in relation to the loathed strangers player of the season thread.  The consensus appeared to be that there were 2 clear candidates.  The obvious answer is to go for the goalscorer.

Nothing to see here
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, June 13, 2020, 10:41:23 »

Anyone know if there was a EFL league 2 team chosen by fellow professionals this season?

So, give no fucks
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, June 13, 2020, 11:35:24 »

I voted for Eoin Doyle but I won't be folding my arms and sulking when Anthony Grant wins because he's been great.

I think when you consider the amount of great forwards we've had who never got close to the run of Harry Morris then it's hard to not acknowledge that. I know we were set-up to feed Doyle but he's still got to score them.

Also, I've been referring to 4 titles in Football League history. It's a bit post-92 but it's the competition we're in.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, June 13, 2020, 11:37:28 »

Anyone know if there was a EFL league 2 team chosen by fellow professionals this season?

I think they usually do the voting around Feb/Mar. Not 100%

If the XIs chosen by experts are anything close to what the EFL players go for then expect only Doyle and, maybe, Grant to make it in.
Cheltred

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, June 13, 2020, 11:45:57 »

Not yet I don't think
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, June 13, 2020, 11:47:20 »

I voted for Eoin Doyle but I won't be folding my arms and sulking when Anthony Grant wins because he's been great.

I think when you consider the amount of great forwards we've had who never got close to the run of Harry Morris then it's hard to not acknowledge that. I know we were set-up to feed Doyle but he's still got to score them.

Also, I've been referring to 4 titles in Football League history. It's a bit post-92 but it's the competition we're in.

Yes 4 titles in FL history but not as the hack says 4 in 141 years of club history.... that's 6.   It's disrespectful to the club and its fans, compounded by saying Doyle broke a club record.... he didn't he equalled a club record.  Which in some ways is good because it means highlighting both Doyle's and Harry's feat.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, June 13, 2020, 11:58:37 »

I also like the fact that he equalled it and he gets my vote for that achievement.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: