Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 1980s radio commentaries  (Read 12693 times)
BoA Vagabond

Tufty club

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 21:37:07 »

I cannot wait to hear those. I can remember the Arsenal quarter final replay was on Radio 2, second half i guess but it could have been more. However i had a school concert that night, and my Dad wouldn't let me miss it to stay and listen, so i had to wait till i got home to find out the score. My sisters had listened for me and gave me a rundown.
Same problem for me. Bloody skool play. I think extra time was on the radio. Just to rub it in, Dad and Bruv travelled up from Devon for it, leaving me inconsolable.

Parasitic freeloading season ticket holder scum
ahounsell

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday, June 9, 2020, 07:08:15 »

These are great.  Would you mind if I make them available via the website?

Or course, feel free Smiley
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #47 on: Tuesday, June 9, 2020, 08:53:33 »

I cannot wait to hear those. I can remember the Arsenal quarter final replay was on Radio 2, second half i guess but it could have been more. However i had a school concert that night, and my Dad wouldn't let me miss it to stay and listen, so i had to wait till i got home to find out the score. My sisters had listened for me and gave me a rundown.
Sorry to hear this you missed the best game ever in my Swindon supporting life!

I was 13 and went straight to the ground to queue up after school, I was a 13 year old at Drove school back then.

Me and my best mate bought a ticket for the Stratton Bank and told the steward my (imaginary)brother had bought a ticket in the Shrivenham Road stand and could we go in there, he opened the gate and walked us past the Arsenal supporters and got us into the South Side.

About an hour before KO they opened up the gate under the floodlight so we watched the game from the Town End, long gone are the days you could easily go from one end to the other with little questioning!

I remember loads of Town fans sat all the way up the floodlights and they were left alone up there!

There was way more fans in the ground that day than the announced 22k it felt more than the semi final vs Wolves when it was announced at 26k, although not as many as were crammed in for the Spurs FA cup game when again there were 26k inside, I would think there were well over 30k for Spurs and probably 28k for Arsenal.

I have only ever seen the couple of highlights on the STFC.co.uk and never heard any radio commentary at all from that game. I wish some longer highlights would emerge from some long lost HTV/BBC recording rather than just the goals.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday, June 9, 2020, 08:57:48 »

Sorry to hear this you missed the best game ever in my Swindon supporting life!

I was 13 and went straight to the ground to queue up after school, I was a 13 year old at Drove school back then.

Me and my best mate bought a ticket for the Stratton Bank and told the steward my (imaginary)brother had bought a ticket in the Shrivenham Road stand and could we go in there, he opened the gate and walked us past the Arsenal supporters and got us into the South Side.

About an hour before KO they opened up the gate under the floodlight so we watched the game from the Town End, long gone are the days you could easily go from one end to the other with little questioning!

I remember loads of Town fans sat all the way up the floodlights and they were left alone up there!

There was way more fans in the ground that day than the announced 22k it felt more than the semi final vs Wolves when it was announced at 26k, although not as many as were crammed in for the Spurs FA cup game when again there were 26k inside, I would think there were well over 30k for Spurs and probably 28k for Arsenal.

I have only ever seen the couple of highlights on the STFC.co.uk and never heard any radio commentary at all from that game. I wish some longer highlights would emerge from some long lost HTV/BBC recording rather than just the goals.

I was a 16 year old schoolboy, skived school in the afternoon to queue up and was one of those up the floodlights near the hot dog stand. I've tried everywhere to find footage of the away leg and Billy Tucker scoring at the clock end but hit a brick wall

So, give no fucks
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #49 on: Tuesday, June 9, 2020, 09:07:12 »

I was a 16 year old schoolboy, skived school in the afternoon to queue up and was one of those up the floodlights near the hot dog stand. I've tried everywhere to find footage of the away leg and Billy Tucker scoring at the clock end but hit a brick wall
Yeah I was at Highbury, I skived and went with my mates dad, I have never seen the goal repeated on tv at all either.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday, June 9, 2020, 09:09:35 »

Yeah I was at Highbury, I skived and went with my mates dad, I have never seen the goal repeated on tv at all either.

We counted over a 100 Town coaches parked next to the railway line and near where the emirates is now and really disappointing that HTV West only filmed the home leg

So, give no fucks
ahounsell

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 13:30:43 »

We counted over a 100 Town coaches parked next to the railway line and near where the emirates is now and really disappointing that HTV West only filmed the home leg

(pedant mode) the tie v Arsenal was a draw followed by a replay (as opposed to the semi-final which was over 2 legs from the start). So probably not many people would have expected a return game prior to the original tie anyway.
sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Sunday, August 23, 2020, 12:08:50 »

Full video of our game at Bolton 36 years ago today. It was the season opener and we were facing Lancashire opposition having just been promoted to the third tier. Remember it feeling a big step up again at the time.
Home commentator refers to Town players Allan Kenny and Bernard Lee throughout. He’s also guilty of a very eighties mixing up of Chris Ramsey and Chris Kamara at one point..... I don’t believe it was their shared first names that confused him....

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MatchCentre.asp?MatchID=19870101
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Sunday, August 23, 2020, 12:24:48 »

(pedant mode) the tie v Arsenal was a draw followed by a replay (as opposed to the semi-final which was over 2 legs from the start). So probably not many people would have expected a return game prior to the original tie anyway.

I'm still surprised that the goals for the away game are not on the Arsenal sites

So, give no fucks
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Sunday, August 23, 2020, 12:37:16 »

Hope you are well.
What a night that was, one of my most memorable goals Supporting Swindon.
That Tucker header BOOM and then I nearly died under a pile of bodies.
The tube trains were also rammed with Swindon fans.

I got the slipper after the home game, 4 whacks for each goal. (Mr Hawes an Arsenal fan Smiley ..)
My Mate and myself bunked off school missing last lesson and we jumped over the school fence to get to Didcot station, however we were spotted.

Sandwiched in the Bury 8-0 game.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Sunday, August 23, 2020, 12:48:58 »

Hope you are well.
What a night that was, one of my most memorable goals Supporting Swindon.
That Tucker header BOOM and then I nearly died under a pile of bodies.
The tube trains were also rammed with Swindon fans.

I got the slipper after the home game, 4 whacks for each goal. (Mr Hawes an Arsenal fan Smiley ..)
My Mate and myself bunked off school missing last lesson and we jumped over the school fence to get to Didcot station, however we were spotted.

Sandwiched in the Bury 8-0 game.

All good thanks Dukey hope you're all good In Oxfordshire!
Great memories from both games and like you I was bundled in the clock end when Billy Tuckers header went in and many younger fans won't know that we had over 8000 there that night which is still holds great memories.
I also skipped school in the afternoon for the replay and was queuing up at 3pm outside the Townend to ensure that I got in but luckily me and many others only got detention as we had no kinky headmaster who was into spanking😁

« Last Edit: Sunday, August 23, 2020, 12:59:16 by Jimmy Quinn » Logged

So, give no fucks
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: