Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Covid-19 Vaccine & Football  (Read 10205 times)
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« on: Monday, May 18, 2020, 17:45:49 »

If the governments prediction of having up to 30 million vaccines ready for September and assuming it will be compulsory or at least everyone encouraged to have it then surely the FA can use this to get supporters back into football grounds without worrying about social distancing etc. Each supporter would have to prove that they have had the vaccine to be allowed into the stadium.
There would be obstacles of course but maybe a little light at the end of the tunnel providing the government get the all clear from the scientist

So, give no fucks
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, May 18, 2020, 17:51:35 »

If the governments prediction of having up to 30 million vaccines ready for September
Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure the idea is that even if one of the vaccines being worked on could be proven to be effective in the next couple of months, there's no way it could be ready at scale until early next year at the earliest. Happy to be corrected if that can be stood up by an actual scientist (as opposed to vague handwaving in the press)
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, May 18, 2020, 17:54:21 »

Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure the idea is that even if one of the vaccines being worked on could be proven to be effective in the next couple of months, there's no way it could be ready at scale until early next year at the earliest. Happy to be corrected if that can be stood up by an actual scientist (as opposed to vague handwaving in the press)

I agree it's still very unclear but aren't most of their daily briefings!

So, give no fucks
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, May 18, 2020, 17:56:55 »

I agree it's still very unclear but aren't most of their daily briefings!
Apparently today the Deputy Chief Medical Officer tried to claim that the new quarantine restrictions on travellers had actually been in place for several weeks now. Since 30th February  Doh
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, May 18, 2020, 18:03:28 »

I doubt we’ll be back to ‘normal’ for a ver6 long time.

‘The Premier League has been warned current coronavirus restrictions are likely to be in place long-term, with Public Health England advising them the public health situation is unlikely to change in the next 6-12 months.

England's top flight was paused on March 9 due to the coronavirus pandemic and is making plans for a comeback in mid-June but a vast number of measures, including matches being played behind closed doors, will need to be adopted in order to minimise the risk of COVID-19 transmission.

While it is clear that fans will not be able to attend Premier League games for the remainder of the season, clubs have already started preparing for the possibility of playing the whole of next season behind closed doors.’

Who’ll be left by then?
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, May 18, 2020, 18:08:40 »

Who’ll be left by then?

Playing next season behind closed doors would probably finish off many league 1&2clubs

So, give no fucks
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, May 18, 2020, 18:11:10 »

Apparently today the Deputy Chief Medical Officer tried to claim that the new quarantine restrictions on travellers had actually been in place for several weeks now. Since 30th February  Doh

A neighbour works here for 4 days the flys back to Portugal for 4 days without any restrictions at either airport or at his place of work in Swindon. Shocking!!

So, give no fucks
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, May 18, 2020, 18:21:12 »

Can’t see how it could possibly be compulsory to take it and personally I won’t be taking a vaccine that hasn’t had any long term clinical trials as there are a fair few recent examples where vaccines have been as deadly as the disease.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, May 18, 2020, 18:27:48 »

Can’t see how it could possibly be compulsory to take it and personally I won’t be taking a vaccine that hasn’t had any long term clinical trials as there are a fair few recent examples where vaccines have been as deadly as the disease.

That would have to be forced by the government but without any scientific data to back it up its going to be difficult to get everyone on board but unkess they do force it we're going to have uncertain times for years to come 

So, give no fucks
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, May 18, 2020, 18:31:50 »

That would have to be forced by the government but without any scientific data to back it up its going to be difficult to get everyone on board but unkess they do force it we're going to have uncertain times for years to come 
Personally I think you’d have to be stupid to take anything for at least a year to see if there are any longer term side effects or complications. I’ve no problem taking the normal tried and trusted vaccines but putting something unproven and rushed out in my body, nah I’d rather take the chances with the virus tbh.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Monday, May 18, 2020, 18:32:44 »

If the governments prediction of having up to 30 million vaccines ready for September and assuming it will be compulsory or at least everyone encouraged to have it then surely the FA can use this to get supporters back into football grounds without worrying about social distancing etc. Each supporter would have to prove that they have had the vaccine to be allowed into the stadium.
There would be obstacles of course but maybe a little light at the end of the tunnel providing the government get the all clear from the scientist

I seen to recall that it was said that those numbers could be available if current trials are successful.  It is also acknowledged that we may not come up with a vaccine.

I am not sure that I will be lining up for this in the, dare I say, unlikely event that those trials are deemed a success.

Nothing to see here
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, May 18, 2020, 18:41:02 »

I admire your optimism but even if we have a vaccine by September, it will be used for those most at risk; including healthcare and front line staff. Not for the voluntary activity of going to watch football (unfortunately for some). Although I see your reasoning - if there was of course a mass use one available.

False expectations from Messr Johnson. He's soooo keen to go down in history as Churchill-esque.

A few recent quotes from experts working on the global vaccine race...

"I don’t think we’re communicating very well at all with the public, because I keep having to tell these people, you know, even if we had a vaccine that showed some evidence of protection by September, we are so far from having a vaccine in people’s arms," Dr. Michael Osterholm, Uni of Minnesota CIDR Director

"We’ve set a goal that we’re pursuing. And the data are going to tell us to what degree that’s an easy goal or very difficult goal to meet — but it’s not going to be very easy," Dr. Philip Dormitzer, Pfizer VP & CSO

"We’re going to be making millions of doses per month in 2020, ramped to tens of millions of doses a month in 2021," Stéphane Bancel, Moderna CEO

Regarding Healthcare and frontline staff;

"I think it’s reasonable to say that this should be the first target, because as we’ve seen everywhere, including in the U.S., when you have a health system which cannot accommodate sick people, then everybody suffers," Dr. Marie-Paule Kieny, Inserm Research Director

"Health care workers will likely (be) followed by people at the highest risk — those 65 and older and people with chronic health conditions, like diabetes, that have been seen to increase the risk of dying from Covid-19...

...I don’t think that the general population will have vaccine probably until the second half of 2021. And that’s if everything works OK." Dr. Robin Robinson, BARDA Founding Director

Any company can make a pledge to produce of course (AstraZeneca in this case) but you can't produce if there is no successful candidate and that is the biggest kicker at the moment. Many candidates come up in research all the time. Finding a successful one is one of the hardest parts.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Monday, May 18, 2020, 18:46:14 »

I think that the thread was created just to while away some time rather than to suggest that that this was a realistic possibility.

Nothing to see here
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, May 18, 2020, 18:52:31 »

I think that the thread was created just to while away some time rather than to suggest that that this was a realistic possibility.

We're told to  trust the government each day so let's see if they deliver!

So, give no fucks
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Monday, May 18, 2020, 19:02:46 »

I admire your optimism but even if we have a vaccine by September, it will be used for those most at risk; including healthcare and front line staff. Not for the voluntary activity of going to watch football (unfortunately for some). Although I see your reasoning - if there was of course a mass use one available.

False expectations from Messr Johnson. He's soooo keen to go down in history as Churchill-esque.

A few recent quotes from experts working on the global vaccine race...

"I don’t think we’re communicating very well at all with the public, because I keep having to tell these people, you know, even if we had a vaccine that showed some evidence of protection by September, we are so far from having a vaccine in people’s arms," Dr. Michael Osterholm, Uni of Minnesota CIDR Director

"We’ve set a goal that we’re pursuing. And the data are going to tell us to what degree that’s an easy goal or very difficult goal to meet — but it’s not going to be very easy," Dr. Philip Dormitzer, Pfizer VP & CSO

"We’re going to be making millions of doses per month in 2020, ramped to tens of millions of doses a month in 2021," Stéphane Bancel, Moderna CEO

Regarding Healthcare and frontline staff;

"I think it’s reasonable to say that this should be the first target, because as we’ve seen everywhere, including in the U.S., when you have a health system which cannot accommodate sick people, then everybody suffers," Dr. Marie-Paule Kieny, Inserm Research Director

"Health care workers will likely (be) followed by people at the highest risk — those 65 and older and people with chronic health conditions, like diabetes, that have been seen to increase the risk of dying from Covid-19...

...I don’t think that the general population will have vaccine probably until the second half of 2021. And that’s if everything works OK." Dr. Robin Robinson, BARDA Founding Director

Any company can make a pledge to produce of course (AstraZeneca in this case) but you can't produce if there is no successful candidate and that is the biggest kicker at the moment. Many candidates come up in research all the time. Finding a successful one is one of the hardest parts.
They’re talking about 30 million doses by September - that’s half the population.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: