Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Covid-19 Vaccine & Football  (Read 10208 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday, May 19, 2020, 09:17:31 »

The cynic in me wonders whether Tory donors have money tied up in AZ after the Dyson ventilators debacle where the Tory donor was contracted to make ventilators he couldn't make then compensated when it was cancelled, its happening too many times.
Maybe they do, but I still contend that in the current circumstances £80m is a reasonable use of public money if it enables a vaccine to be made more readily available months earlier than would otherwise be the case. And if the bet doesn't come off, it's a drop in the ocean compared to the billions being spent to prop up the economy. This is exactly the kind of thing government should be doing IMO. They're effectively acting as a buyer of last resort to enable companies to take a risk that they perhaps wouldn't otherwise be prepared to take. That's on the assumption of course, that AZ then also ensure that any vaccine is made available globally at a reasonable cost rather than looking to hoover up vast profits on the patent.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday, May 19, 2020, 09:21:18 »

Maybe they do, but I still contend that in the current circumstances £80m is a reasonable use of public money if it enables a vaccine to be made more readily available months earlier than would otherwise be the case. And if the bet doesn't come off, it's a drop in the ocean compared to the billions being spent to prop up the economy. This is exactly the kind of thing government should be doing IMO. They're effectively acting as a buyer of last resort to enable companies to take a risk that they perhaps wouldn't otherwise be prepared to take. That's on the assumption of course, that AZ then also ensure that any vaccine is made available globally at a reasonable cost rather than looking to hoover up vast profits on the patent.

I don't know how the pharma trade works, but is it the case that say the US trial (as per the video I linked earlier) works they will release the recipe (being deliberately simplistic)  to allow AZ to make it, or are we tied into AZ coming up with a vaccine?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday, May 19, 2020, 09:38:35 »

I don't know how the pharma trade works, but is it the case that say the US trial (as per the video I linked earlier) works they will release the recipe (being deliberately simplistic)  to allow AZ to make it, or are we tied into AZ coming up with a vaccine?
I think it's a case of whoever comes up with one first. There's about 80 vaccines in development worldwide. It's likely there will be more than one "successful" one. However, one of the issues may be if, as has happened in the past, the pharma companies try to profiteer on the patent. Which could lead to a vaccine being widely available in the developed world, but unaffordable in many poorer countries. I sincerely hope govts take action to prevent that as it would inevitably lead not just to large scale deaths in the developing world but also a resurgence in the richer nations. So if a US pharma company succeeds in developing one, Trump's America First approach may well lead him to encourage them to profiteer, hence why it's important there's more than just one available
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday, May 19, 2020, 09:54:40 »

Judging by this thread, 90% of all clubs will have gone under by the end of the year then.

At least we went out with a title I guess!
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday, May 19, 2020, 09:57:46 »

Judging by this thread, 90% of all clubs will have gone under by the end of the year then.

At least we went out with a title I guess!

Talking about league one titles I thought the EFL were going to confirm promotion yesterday

So, give no fucks
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday, May 19, 2020, 10:00:27 »

Talking about league one titles I thought the EFL were going to confirm promotion yesterday
No, after their next board meeting which is, apparently, sometime this week. The League One meeting was yesterday, if that had ended in agreement, they might have been able to confirm something, but as it didn't, who knows?
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday, May 19, 2020, 10:56:21 »

They didnt even have the meeting yesterday did they?

If you listen to the Not The Top Twenty podcast there is a good episode on this whole saga that came out yesterday
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday, May 19, 2020, 11:05:49 »

I think there is a board meeting tomorrow, although I am not sure they can ratify anything regarding D2 without some sort of idea what D1 are going to settle upon?
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday, May 19, 2020, 11:23:58 »

EFL Board meeting Weds, Clubs and EFL meet on Friday I think

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday, May 19, 2020, 11:28:03 »

EFL Board meeting Weds, Clubs and EFL meet on Friday I think

It does make last fridays announcement seem a little premature and even listening to power on talksport he was talking like it was definite

So, give no fucks
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday, May 19, 2020, 13:00:15 »

Promote element of L2 is considered a formality. L2 is nowhere near as problematic except the request to stop relegation to the National League.
Cheltred

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday, May 19, 2020, 13:05:09 »

Promote element of L2 is considered a formality. L2 is nowhere near as problematic except the request to stop relegation to the National League.

As far as I could make out, L1 want more clubs involved in play offs because it is so close (having just looked at the table, even Gillingham in 11th probably think they have a chance). I guess there is no harm in that, if they can play the games. Also they are possibly not happy at no relegation from L2 when 2 or 3 are expected to go down from L1
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday, May 19, 2020, 15:10:55 »

6 prem players tested positive. That wont be starting then.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday, May 19, 2020, 15:14:48 »

The cynic in me suggests they play for clubs in danger of relegation.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday, May 19, 2020, 15:23:31 »

Hmm that's a step too far really saying clubs are deliberately infecting players. I love a conspiracy theory but that's even beyond that.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: