Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Back to work or extended furlough/job insecurity  (Read 6574 times)
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2020, 10:54:50 »

A lot of uncertainty at the moment, naturally. Hindsight is 20:20 and all, but moving into a job in business travel in Feb is looking like a pretty bad call now - we've been furloughed since the scheme opened and will be for as long as possible, and the company are being good about transparency and paying us in full, but it's not comfortable - worst case scenario, I'm still within the probation period and best case scenario, our business is going to return about as slowly as anyone's.

Should probably look around but not exactly full of motivation to do that.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2020, 11:03:21 »

Not a valid thread. You cannot quote the Daily Mail here. Shame on you.

Take your pick as we're find out come Thursday/Sunday but I would imagine there's some truth coming out of either rag newspaper but I would take note of the telegraph
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11557327/furlough-help-only-poorest-workers/
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/05/05/coronavirus-furlough-scheme-could-cut-back-costs-soar/
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 6, 2020, 11:17:43 by Jimmy Quinn » Logged

So, give no fucks
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2020, 11:06:23 »

A lot of uncertainty at the moment, naturally. Hindsight is 20:20 and all, but moving into a job in business travel in Feb is looking like a pretty bad call now - we've been furloughed since the scheme opened and will be for as long as possible, and the company are being good about transparency and paying us in full, but it's not comfortable - worst case scenario, I'm still within the probation period and best case scenario, our business is going to return about as slowly as anyone's.

I've just been furloughed from a company that serves aerospace & the mod on 80% so really don't want it going into July if the Sun, Mail & telegraph have got it right. It's the uncertainty that's the hardest do deal with as you don't really know what to do
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 6, 2020, 11:18:20 by Jimmy Quinn » Logged

So, give no fucks
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2020, 11:33:20 »

Take your pick as we're find out come Thursday/Sunday but I would imagine there's some truth coming out of either rag newspaper but I would take note of the telegraph
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11557327/furlough-help-only-poorest-workers/
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/05/05/coronavirus-furlough-scheme-could-cut-back-costs-soar/
In this context you're probably right to look at those 3, if what you're looking for is a hint at where the govt are likely to go, as all 3, Telegraph especially, get regularly used by this govt as outlets for stories/ideas they want to push. If you're looking for objective facts, it's a different matter, but if you want the Johnson line, Telegraph is probably first port of call.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2020, 11:41:46 »

In this context you're probably right to look at those 3, if what you're looking for is a hint at where the govt are likely to go, as all 3, Telegraph especially, get regularly used by this govt as outlets for stories/ideas they want to push. If you're looking for objective facts, it's a different matter, but if you want the Johnson line, Telegraph is probably first port of call.

Good point you make regarding the government using the Telegraph etc so it will be interesting to hear what they say either Thursday or Sunday as they clearly need a new strategy  to stop the country going bankrupt

So, give no fucks
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2020, 11:42:24 »

There isn't anything around. I keep an eye on jobsgopublic for IT stuff, usually there are 120+ on there. When I checked last week there were 4 positions up. And judging by the date left to apply I reckon those would have been cancelled.
flammableBen

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2020, 11:49:26 »

The best thing for the economy would be to borrow our tits off whilst it's cheap and keep spending on furloughed wages, benefits, services to keep the economy moving to stop the whole thing grinding to an unrestartable stop.

Or shrink the whole thing until all that's left is owned by the top 100 Tory Donors and we all live in even more of a tennant/mortgage surfdom than we already do.

I reckon the second one.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2020, 12:18:34 »

I'm working on a project linked to the MOD (not super secret), I really don't think the government are going to be splashing the cash in this area any time soon. They'll be broke.

Counter-argument is that government may have to open the Keynesian spending taps to weather the downturn, and borrow like they never have before to fund it.  When the private sector is tanking, government has a duty to keep the public sector going to prop things up.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2020, 12:35:09 »

They do seem genuinely shocked that they offered this scheme and god forbid people actually took them up on it. Its almost like it was a PR stunt with no real plan behind it.

The suggestion that the country is in some way 'addicted' to the scheme is just shitty language sounding the dog whistle.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2020, 13:48:43 »

They do seem genuinely shocked that they offered this scheme and god forbid people actually took them up on it. Its almost like it was a PR stunt with no real plan behind it.

The suggestion that the country is in some way 'addicted' to the scheme is just shitty language sounding the dog whistle.

why do you think this? the furlough scheme and system was fantastic, slow on self employed but that is a mine field. 6 days from submission to payment and has helped millions continue to have an income. this was never going to last and reigning it back with reduced lockdown will help businesses start to adapt and find some income again
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2020, 13:53:57 »

Quote from: Ardiles
Counter-argument is that government may have to open the Keynesian spending taps to weather the downturn, and borrow like they never have before to fund it.  When the private sector is tanking, government has a duty to keep the public sector going to prop things up.

it's a fair comment, tanking the whole thing simultaneously in private and public sectors , and while fucking around with brexit ..... it could be even worse.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2020, 16:05:12 »

why do you think this? the furlough scheme and system was fantastic, slow on self employed but that is a mine field. 6 days from submission to payment and has helped millions continue to have an income. this was never going to last and reigning it back with reduced lockdown will help businesses start to adapt and find some income again

I agree its worked very well, however suddenly coming up with what appears to be an arbitrary date for its reduction, before there is any indication of what the start up process is going to entail or its timetable has just put the fear of god into many people?

The two should have been announced together as part of a cohesive plan.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2020, 21:32:49 »

I cannot see pubs or restaurants opening for the rest of the year.

Try telling my local that. They've not been officially open....but they seemingly haven't "closed". Fucking prick.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: