Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Back to work or extended furlough/job insecurity  (Read 6572 times)
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, May 6, 2020, 09:32:43 »

With the government looking to slash the furlough payments to 60% in July many companies will have big decisions to make by the end of June. Call employees back, make them redundant or cause more uncertainty laying them off knowing that thousands won't be able to manage on the governments reduced income

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8291781/Rishi-Sunak-set-plans-week-wind-furlough.html

So, give no fucks
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2020, 09:37:03 »

Forget all the pearl clutching because Dave down the road goes on two walks a day - this is going to be what causes a second spike

Things get better but they never get good
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2020, 09:37:40 »

That's probably why they will try to fast track things. Next step when things get real tough, is social unrest will become a problem.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2020, 09:39:34 »

I cannot see pubs or restaurants opening for the rest of the year. Social distance to remain for a while yet. Going out will be relaxed.

Shops will reopen, but for less time and distancing in place.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2020, 09:44:35 »

That's probably why they will try to fast track things. Next step when things get real tough, is social unrest will become a problem.

I agree that the next step could be socisl unrest / looting etc if they don't fast track things
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 6, 2020, 09:53:21 by Jimmy Quinn » Logged

So, give no fucks
Banker

On The Bank

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2020, 09:47:21 »

I agree that the next step could be socisl unrest / looting etc  if they don't fast track things

Cummings' opportunity crisis writ large.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2020, 10:02:19 »

Play it loud.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2020, 10:11:57 »

I agree that the next step could be socisl unrest / looting etc if they don't fast track things

There're no examples in recent UK history of groups of disaffected people turning to burning and looting shops during the shadow of austerity measures.

Oh, wait ...
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2020, 10:13:24 »

With the government looking to slash the furlough payments to 60% in July many companies will have big decisions to make by the end of June. Call employees back, make them redundant or cause more uncertainty laying them off knowing that thousands won't be able to manage on the governments reduced income

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8291781/Rishi-Sunak-set-plans-week-wind-furlough.html

Not a valid thread. You cannot quote the Daily Mail here. Shame on you.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2020, 10:13:38 »

Hence why the government is keen to get the PL going. Opium for the masses!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2020, 10:16:18 »

Some may be more vulnerable or closer than others, but I reckon most of us are not exactly in a secure job right now.

I'm working on a project linked to the MOD (not super secret), I really don't think the government are going to be splashing the cash in this area any time soon. They'll be broke.

Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2020, 10:18:07 »

I think it will get even harder when the lockdown finishes. They will be less public spending from councils, rates will go up, petrol will rise as will shopping.

It is extreme circumstances.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2020, 10:23:22 »

Going to be interesting to see how employers deal with this and their duty of care responsibilities to employees.

Likewise after 100+ staff deaths I wonder when the HSE investigation into the NHS/govt will begin?
Flashheart

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2020, 10:28:14 »

Likewise after 100+ staff deaths I wonder when the HSE investigation into the NHS/govt will begin?

It'll only end up in the same drawer as the Russian report and the Accuri investigation anyway.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2020, 10:29:30 »

Some may be more vulnerable or closer than others, but I reckon most of us are not exactly in a secure job right now.

I'm working on a project linked to the MOD (not super secret), I really don't think the government are going to be splashing the cash in this area any time soon. They'll be broke.

I work in M&A and my company's active portfolio has shrunk by 40% with minimal new clients coming in and can't see that changing until next year. The chances of selling many businesses in the active portfolio are very slim.
We've furloughed 70% of the workforce, whilst those remaining are getting paid for 3 or 4 days a week instead of 5. The business is relying on a successful CBILS application to see us through to next year, it's pretty dire right now.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: