Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How will football look  (Read 14018 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday, April 28, 2020, 13:56:42 »

In our case, it makes no difference as both the costs and the profits are down to a 3rd party catering company thanks to Jed selling off the catering rights for a decade.
In the general case, are you suggesting that catering at football clubs is run at a loss? Because it's usually considered to be a primary revenue stream for many clubs that don't have lucrative TV deals

I have no idea what the catering is run at, nor the bars or the actual stadium itself.
Although most clubs are in it have historical financial trouble, of course there is a chance all the debt is racked up with regards to player wages and transfer fees.

Even if the Catering is run at a profit in itself - the ground may still run at a loss, if that makes sense.

It’s all guessing and assumptions on my part of course but streaming is the future (well it’s already here but you know what I mean) physical DVDs and Computer games will be phased out. There are even ‘straight to’ films on the streaming services. I don’t see why Sport wouldn’t eventually go down this route.

If it did - I’m sure at some point the discussion would occur whether live crowds and stadiums were still cost effective.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, April 28, 2020, 14:02:59 by DV Canio » Logged
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday, April 28, 2020, 14:11:15 »

I have no idea what the catering is run at, nor the bars or the actual stadium itself.
Although most clubs are in it have historical financial trouble, of course there is a chance all the debt is racked up with regards to player wages and transfer fees.
I don't think there are many clubs that would be breaking even on player wages and transfer fees if only it weren't for that damn burger van dragging them under Smiley

Even if the Catering is run at a profit in itself - the ground may still run at a loss, if that makes sense.
Yes that's fair enough, although again I'm pretty sure the major expense of any professional football club is the players' salaries.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday, April 28, 2020, 14:40:44 »

In our case, it makes no difference as both the costs and the profits are down to a 3rd party catering company thanks to Jed selling off the catering rights for a decade.
In the general case, are you suggesting that catering at football clubs is run at a loss? Because it's usually considered to be a primary revenue stream for many clubs that don't have lucrative TV deals
Would have thought it would be quite a profitable business,  especially at the prices they charge.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday, April 28, 2020, 15:12:31 »

Wonder where the club will stand on this if the season is cancelled, what with the catering contract being sold on the basis of 'x' no games a season?
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday, April 28, 2020, 15:18:52 »

If to be played behind closed doors, they should play a bit of crowd noise on the tannoy. feels wrong writing it but this isnt normal and one of the biggest things I hate about behind closed doors or even friendlies is the silence and hearing players shout. watching it in silence makes it seem unofficial and meaningless. you cant beat a crowd and this would only be until they return obviously

We can borrow Southends fake drum recording. No not really It's awful.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday, April 28, 2020, 15:42:29 »

It’s all guessing and assumptions on my part of course but streaming is the future (well it’s already here but you know what I mean) physical DVDs and Computer games will be phased out. There are even ‘straight to’ films on the streaming services. I don’t see why Sport wouldn’t eventually go down this route.

If it did - I’m sure at some point the discussion would occur whether live crowds and stadiums were still cost effective.
This is pertinent: Kieran Maguire has calculated the annual contribution per fan of matchday fans (i.e. those that actually attend games) in the Premiership and Championship

https://twitter.com/KieranMaguire/status/1255155543531913225

Even at the lowest end (Wigan) it's £205 per fan pa. Wigan's avg home attendance was 11,661 which works out at £2.4m per season or £104k per game from matchday fans. There's no way it costs over 2 million quid in stadium costs. So the income generated by matchgoing fans is a substantial contributor to the revenue of the club. Indeed, for most clubs, it's overwhelmingly their primary source of revenue
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday, April 28, 2020, 16:40:09 »

Iv forgot the exact details but iv posted previously, there are a number of items we get money from it isnt solely all catering.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday, April 28, 2020, 17:40:32 »

Rumours Charlton going into admin on Friday
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #38 on: Tuesday, April 28, 2020, 17:43:45 »

Lots of rumours of Southend being in a similar position too.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday, April 28, 2020, 18:03:47 »

Iv forgot the exact details but iv posted previously, there are a number of items we get money from it isnt solely all catering.
I know. We don't get any money from catering. I've said that in the post you quoted.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday, April 28, 2020, 18:04:25 »

Surprised they've lasted that long, absolute shit show going on there. Classic case of be careful what you wish for.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday, April 28, 2020, 18:15:54 »

FIFA’s Chief Medical Officer has said there should be no games played before September.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday, April 28, 2020, 18:38:24 »

Surprised they've lasted that long, absolute shit show going on there. Classic case of be careful what you wish for.

How times change.  Go back 20 yrs, and Charlton were held up as a model community football club that rose to the top flight in a sustainable way.  Remember being quite envious of them at one time.  And the Valley is a lovely ground as well.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday, April 28, 2020, 19:50:47 »

FIFA’s Chief Medical Officer has said there should be no games played before September.

On medical terms he may have made the right call. Then again, he’ll still get paid, handsomely....
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday, April 28, 2020, 19:51:32 »

How times change.  Go back 20 yrs, and Charlton were held up as a model community football club that rose to the top flight in a sustainable way.  Remember being quite envious of them at one time.  And the Valley is a lovely ground as well.

...and then Alan Curbishley getting then a lower mid table finish in the Premier League wasn’t enough and they moved on from him and haven’t recovered since...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: