Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How will football look  (Read 14012 times)
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, April 28, 2020, 10:25:09 »

Eventually stadiums and fans going to games will be extinct.
Clubs will just have one indoor, all purpose, state of the art artificial pitch and stream games to people’s homes.
The overheads you’d save in land ownership, stadium maintenance, police & non playing match day staff would be huge.
Games would never get called off due to the weather. You wouldn’t need a home pitch & a training facility.
The only logistical fall back is how you’d stop multiple people watching one stream at one persons house / pub.

Whilst I might be in the minority, but with a young family & being at work till 6am Saturday morning I’d be much more inclined to roll out of bed at 14:55 hit a few buttons on my smart tv and watch STFC in my pyjamas than going to the effort of going.

Loooong way off but think we will get to that point one day

What you're describing there is effectively the end of football, and the creation of a new Netflix-style online entertainment offering.  I can't see it going this way, really.  There is always going to be a market for people who want to grab a drink & a bite to eat with friends before screaming like a lunatic with thousands of like-minded obsessives for 90 mins.  There could well be implications for how players are recruited and contracted, but I think the risks to live football are exaggerated.
Flashheart

« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, April 28, 2020, 10:30:44 »

I think people would still go for the day out. It's not just about the footy for some, but also the atmosphere, the pub, being with mates, and so on. I know I'd prefer to go in person if I could.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, April 28, 2020, 10:33:45 »

I think people would still go for the day out. It's not just about the footy for some, but also the atmosphere, the pub, being with mates, and so on. I know I'd prefer to go in person if I could.

If it was all about the football, I'd have packed Swindon in years ago.  You're absolutely right.  It's about matchday rituals, about meeting your friends, about getting out of the house for the day and about belonging to something.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, April 28, 2020, 10:36:36 »

Exactly
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, April 28, 2020, 10:37:16 »

What you're describing there is effectively the end of football, and the creation of a new Netflix-style online entertainment offering.  I can't see it going this way, really.  There is always going to be a market for people who want to grab a drink & a bite to eat with friends before screaming like a lunatic with thousands of like-minded obsessives for 90 mins.  There could well be implications for how players are recruited and contracted, but I think the risks to live football are exaggerated.
Absolutely.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, April 28, 2020, 10:40:51 »

I fully understand what people are saying about preferring to go. I get that but the clubs will do what is financially beneficial for them, regardless.

Plus, as I’ve said there is probably a market for those who can’t / won’t go who would stream from home.

suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, April 28, 2020, 10:43:55 »

I think you have a valid point. Who knows what changes will happen.
Richie Wellen-Dowd

« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, April 28, 2020, 11:01:28 »

It's not just that people will always want to go though, is it? Part of watching it at home is seeing and hearing the supporters in the ground. Without that it may as well be Legend's 5-a-side matches. A few would watch, especially if there was no alternative. Most wouldn't.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, April 28, 2020, 11:04:18 »

Bus trip into town, meet up with friends, few beers, lots of piss taking, funny songs and comments, decent result on the pitch, big bacon cheese burger at half time, sometimes another beer after the game, bus home. Go to sleep on the sofa. Good times.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, April 28, 2020, 11:32:24 »

agreed football is nothing without fans. but will gladly watch on ifollow in absence of an alternative.. temporarily.

how will football look after all this? I can't see how it can survive in its current form without financial support. problem is, it's not really in the interests of those with the money (who also have issues).

ifollow subscriptions won't keep a club alive. especially as I think not making home games free to those that have payed for season tickets as a bit of a scandal. merch revenues will be down too, not sure how much we make on that though .

can see players will have to temporarily take massive pay cuts to stay in football until this is over.

worry this will be the leverage the Prem need to get b-teams in , in exchange for wonga
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday, April 28, 2020, 11:49:41 »

Bus trip into town, meet up with friends, few beers, lots of piss taking, funny songs and comments, decent result on the pitch, big bacon cheese burger at half time, sometimes another beer after the game, bus home. Go to sleep on the sofa. Good times.
I'm with you. It's not just the game itself, in fact quite often it's not even the game itself. There have been whole seasons recently, under Flitcroft especially, where the football was so bad, the only reason I was bothering at all was to meet up with mates I only see at football. If it had been on telly, I very much doubt I'd have watched.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, April 28, 2020, 11:59:09 »

Yes,  but next to none of that has any significance to the club itself.
Even if you buy the beers and the food directly from the club - I still think in the long run the club would save by not having the overheads of running the food kiosks and bars, still just guessing like...
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday, April 28, 2020, 12:03:17 »

If to be played behind closed doors, they should play a bit of crowd noise on the tannoy. feels wrong writing it but this isnt normal and one of the biggest things I hate about behind closed doors or even friendlies is the silence and hearing players shout. watching it in silence makes it seem unofficial and meaningless. you cant beat a crowd and this would only be until they return obviously
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday, April 28, 2020, 12:19:26 »

I'm with you. It's not just the game itself, in fact quite often it's not even the game itself. There have been whole seasons recently, under Flitcroft especially, where the football was so bad, the only reason I was bothering at all was to meet up with mates I only see at football. If it had been on telly, I very much doubt I'd have watched.

And then there's the fun of away games too
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday, April 28, 2020, 13:17:44 »

Yes,  but next to none of that has any significance to the club itself.
Even if you buy the beers and the food directly from the club - I still think in the long run the club would save by not having the overheads of running the food kiosks and bars, still just guessing like...
In our case, it makes no difference as both the costs and the profits are down to a 3rd party catering company thanks to Jed selling off the catering rights for a decade.
In the general case, are you suggesting that catering at football clubs is run at a loss? Because it's usually considered to be a primary revenue stream for many clubs that don't have lucrative TV deals
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: