Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How will football look  (Read 14013 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« on: Monday, April 27, 2020, 12:02:51 »

After Covid.

Now we know pretty much how the land lies, I reckon they’ll be no football with fans for over 12 months.

By that time numerous clubs will have gone kaput, laying dormant - call it what you will. How any remaining clubs will emerge and be able to get a squad together along with non playing staff and with no money, I don’t know.

Some clubs will be gone forever, others could restart as part time. The footballing structure will have to be overhauled completely. Some PL clubs will be off to the European Super League. TV won’t be interested in the English rump to any great extent so I’d imagine it could be similar to the pre Sky era of well run clubs have a chance of being successful (whatever that will mean).

What STFC would look like I hate to think.
Flashheart

« Reply #1 on: Monday, April 27, 2020, 12:51:28 »

If things are as we are lead to believe - probably a lot better than a lot of other clubs.

As far as I can tell, most (if not all) of our debt is to our owner. I don't know how many others clubs can say the same.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, April 27, 2020, 13:07:04 »

Hope you’re right.

It’s really fucked everything up.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, April 27, 2020, 13:10:31 »

Interesting statement from Colchester.

Already told players out of contract they wanted to keep, wont be kept on due to Corona

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, April 27, 2020, 13:13:54 »

I can see clubs binning players whether they have a contract or not.

I had a quick look and after June 30 we still have about 12 senior players under contract.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, April 27, 2020, 13:28:56 »

If the season resumed and the industry (namely those who represent footballers) didn't embrace the FIFA endorsed extension of contracts beyond June 30 then it would be problematic for lower league football to say the least.

Our out of contract players...

Eoin Doyle
Anthony Grant
Jordan Lyden* - New deal pending
Mathieu Baudry
Lloyd Isgrove
Keshi Anderson
Danny Rose
Kaiyne Woolery
Ellis Iandolo
Luke McCormick
Will Henry* - Known option
Joe Romanski
Jacob Bancroft
Ralph Graham
Archie Matthews
Luke Haines

Worst case scenario could see loan players return as they have a set date on their temporary deal which could allow parent clubs to recall.

Steven Benda
Jerry Yates
Diallang Jaiyesimi
Rarmani Edmonds-Green
Admiral Muskwe
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, April 27, 2020, 14:06:48 »

Interesting statement from Colchester.

Already told players out of contract they wanted to keep, wont be kept on due to Corona
Bit more info on this here, and bizarrely a photo that makes the Colchester chairman look like a vampire

https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2020-04-27/colchester-united-release-a-number-of-senior-players-in-wake-of-covid-19-pandemic/
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, April 27, 2020, 14:11:40 »

Bit more info on this here, and bizarrely a photo that makes the Colchester chairman look like a vampire

https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2020-04-27/colchester-united-release-a-number-of-senior-players-in-wake-of-covid-19-pandemic/

Not really sure what the point is as I assume they will still be paying the players until 30th June and whatever happens we should all have a better clue what is likely to happen then, its not as if they will have a clamour of other clubs offering them contracts in the meantime as everyone is in the same boat? 

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, April 27, 2020, 14:12:38 »

Ryan Jackson would be a decent signing - for someone.

Dreadful time ahead for players. I think the GP’s want of a final good pay day may be wishful thinking now.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, April 28, 2020, 08:43:26 »

After Covid.

Now we know pretty much how the land lies, I reckon they’ll be no football with fans for over 12 months.

By that time numerous clubs will have gone kaput, laying dormant - call it what you will. How any remaining clubs will emerge and be able to get a squad together along with non playing staff and with no money, I don’t know.

Some clubs will be gone forever, others could restart as part time. The footballing structure will have to be overhauled completely. Some PL clubs will be off to the European Super League. TV won’t be interested in the English rump to any great extent so I’d imagine it could be similar to the pre Sky era of well run clubs have a chance of being successful (whatever that will mean).

Eventually stadiums and fans going to games will be extinct.
Clubs will just have one indoor, all purpose, state of the art artificial pitch and stream games to people’s homes.
The overheads you’d save in land ownership, stadium maintenance, police & non playing match day staff would be huge.
Games would never get called off due to the weather. You wouldn’t need a home pitch & a training facility.
The only logistical fall back is how you’d stop multiple people watching one stream at one persons house / pub.

Whilst I might be in the minority, but with a young family & being at work till 6am Saturday morning I’d be much more inclined to roll out of bed at 14:55 hit a few buttons on my smart tv and watch STFC in my pyjamas than going to the effort of going.

Loooong way off but think we will get to that point one day

Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, April 28, 2020, 09:59:47 »

Eventually stadiums and fans going to games will be extinct.
Clubs will just have one indoor, all purpose, state of the art artificial pitch and stream games to people’s homes.
The overheads you’d save in land ownership, stadium maintenance, police & non playing match day staff would be huge.
Games would never get called off due to the weather. You wouldn’t need a home pitch & a training facility.
The only logistical fall back is how you’d stop multiple people watching one stream at one persons house / pub.

Whilst I might be in the minority, but with a young family & being at work till 6am Saturday morning I’d be much more inclined to roll out of bed at 14:55 hit a few buttons on my smart tv and watch STFC in my pyjamas than going to the effort of going.

Loooong way off but think we will get to that point one day

I so hope you are so fucking wrong.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, April 28, 2020, 10:06:09 »

DV(alid) Pint Chang
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, April 28, 2020, 10:12:49 »

I so hope you are so fucking wrong.

I could well be...but...just in the long run think it will be cost effective for the clubs.
I don’t claim to be an expert on any clubs finances but I can’t imagine stadiums are cheap to own / run / maintain and some are only used around 25-30 times a season.

As far as I know we pay rent on the land the CG is on and also we have to pay the maintenance costs to. Huge overheads, I’d imagine.

The lower league clubs would probably gladly cut those overheads to survive and the bigger clubs could tap into overseas markets and probably triple their ‘attendances’
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, April 28, 2020, 10:14:59 »

That happens to a certain degree in this country already, plastic prem armchair 'fans'.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, April 28, 2020, 10:19:54 »

That happens to a certain degree in this country already, plastic prem armchair 'fans'.

Well, yeah - exactly. The clubs in theory have missed a trick by allowing Sky Sports and other foreign channels to have the rights to show the games.

I wonder how much (more or less) money the clubs would make if they were streaming their own games worldwide and taking 100% of the profit themselves
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: