Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: On this day...  (Read 10358 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« on: Sunday, April 19, 2020, 09:59:11 »

Well today we should have been celebrating winning the league with the last game home of the season having supposed to have taken place yesterday, seems a bit weird even thinking about football at the moment TBH.

But the original point of the post.....

On this day 34 years ago Town win their first ever league championship title after drawing 1-1 away at Mansfield.

Well over 2,000 and probably nearer 3,000 Swindon fans celebrated as they have never celebrated before as we got our first ever football league title after Leigh Barnyard scored an equalizer to take the title with 4 games still left to play.

An amazing day out in difficult circumstances with the "edgy" Police pressence there, so absolutely memorable, the Old Bill being the only blot on the day.

Mansfield at the final whistle playing "We are the champions" for us, just as Aldershot did the week after as our players came onto the pitch for kick off, still gives me goosebumps.

Trying to post a bit more "happy and positive feeling" threads to take our mind off the crap going on at the moment.
« Last Edit: Sunday, April 19, 2020, 10:32:17 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, April 19, 2020, 10:19:55 »

Lifetime away. Sobering thought that it’s highly unlikely I’ll get to see the next 30 years - or 20 come to that.

The one constant in all that time being STFC. 2 wives ago, son on the way, just started my business.

Fuck. Where has all that time gone?
Valid Pint

« Reply #2 on: Sunday, April 19, 2020, 10:28:18 »

The result was 1-1, hence how we managed to score an equaliser.

The OB didn't help things by pulling over all vehicles outside of Mansfield before th game to nick all booze unless it was drunk on the spot. Consequently there was one mass beer swill.

Could we seek a copper from that day to explain their policy. Maybe they could do a plodcast.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #3 on: Sunday, April 19, 2020, 10:33:57 »

The result was 1-1, hence how we managed to score an equaliser.
Yes it was a slip of the fingers, sorry to offend you.

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, April 19, 2020, 10:36:14 »

Yes it was a slip of the fingers, sorry to offend you.
I’ve used that excuse in very differing circumstances!
Peter Venkman

« Reply #5 on: Sunday, April 19, 2020, 10:59:55 »

I’ve used that excuse in very differing circumstances!
Not just the fingers I bet! Cheesy

sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, April 19, 2020, 11:28:14 »

I believe the Notts police had honed their skills during the miners strike. Incredibly heavy handed. We were treated in the same manner as they’d been dealing with ‘flying pickets’, as the Notts mines had returned to work earlier than other parts of the country.
Anybody know why there was a tv ban, resulting in no actual video footage of this immense day for Town?

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MatchCentre.asp?Tab=Video&MatchID=19860142
Peter Venkman

« Reply #7 on: Sunday, April 19, 2020, 11:39:04 »

Anybody know why there was a tv ban, resulting in no actual video footage of this immense day for Town?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-33149689

sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, April 19, 2020, 11:49:06 »

There’s, thankfully, footage of the promotion sealing classic under lights against Chester from earlier that month though? Any idea how that filming was permitted?

Peter Venkman

« Reply #9 on: Sunday, April 19, 2020, 11:52:06 »

There’s, thankfully, footage of the promotion sealing classic under lights against Chester from earlier that month though? Any idea how that filming was permitted?
It was only a handful of weekends that season that weren't filmed at all, it wasn't a whole season that went missing. Just most of it, and not that much was filmed in Div 4 at the time anyway only on HTV news or Points West.

swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, April 19, 2020, 12:53:27 »

It was only a handful of weekends that season that weren't filmed at all, it wasn't a whole season that went missing. Just most of it, and not that much was filmed in Div 4 at the time anyway only on HTV news or Points West.
with........... Roger Malone, Roger Malone, we know you're ..........................

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #11 on: Sunday, June 7, 2020, 08:46:45 »

On this day 30 years ago...

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/footballs-biggest-punishments-7248403.html

Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, June 7, 2020, 08:54:01 »

This was the day I became a Town fan, and I'm sure I wasn't alone.  Riled me up no end.  My first game was 3 months later.  I still have all my teenage press clippings detailing the whole sorry saga.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #13 on: Sunday, June 7, 2020, 08:59:59 »

I still remember it very well, I worked at the club at the time and it truly sent shock waves through the whole club, players, managers, staff and office staff which took a couple of years to get over, many of us fans have never got over this fully and never will.

Valid Pint

« Reply #14 on: Sunday, June 7, 2020, 11:33:50 »

Being one of one last to leave the holding area in Faringdon Road Park for the protest march, and turning right into Milton Road, the head of the march was turning back into Commercial Road from Fleming Way. That stretched all the way up Milton Road, Commercial Road, Princes Street & Fleming Way. One of the largest protest matches in Britain outside of London was a description in a national rag. About 15,000 I recall?

The planned concert afterwards in FR Park was cancelled due to safety concerns.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: