Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: STFC related A-Z  (Read 63518 times)
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #270 on: Tuesday, July 7, 2020, 12:49:21 »

Not sure it’s a small minority at all.

For example the NFL ranks 2nd or 3rd with Sky in terms of viewing figures by sport
This.  Plus the fact that every single NFL game played in the UK since '07 has attracted crowds of 70-80,000.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: Tuesday, July 7, 2020, 12:55:15 »

Just to clarify I have watched it for years and still play. In my humble opinion, my original post reflects the general level of interest in the UK.

Nothing to see here
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: Tuesday, July 7, 2020, 12:56:44 »

This.  Plus the fact that every single NFL game played in the UK since '07 has attracted crowds of 70-80,000.

I am not sure you can read much into that. There is a hard core of fans who attend from all over Europe.

Nothing to see here
Valid Pint

« Reply #273 on: Tuesday, July 7, 2020, 14:37:40 »

I still can't figure out from that '85 clip who Steelers were playing. In an interview at the end someone says they are playing Torbay in a couple of weeks, so presumably that had not just played Torbay.

Wasn't there an ex-Town player who did commentary on American Football on UK TV some years ago? Smith?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: Tuesday, July 7, 2020, 15:43:43 »

ex NFL player mate, and was on town books iirc. I think his brother left the story of how he said he got discovered some on the TEF

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowplow_Game

John Smith (American football) - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Smith_(American_football)

at least, I assume this is he that you refer to
Valid Pint

« Reply #275 on: Tuesday, July 7, 2020, 15:53:22 »

Thank you. Yes, John Smith. I didn't know the snow plough story - that's great!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: Tuesday, July 7, 2020, 17:42:09 »

Thank you. Yes, John Smith. I didn't know the snow plough story - that's great!
'not that nice if I'm honest' wrote this a fair few years ago 2012):

We lived in Oxford, and both my brothers were in the Swindon youth team. John had a powerful shot, and after playing one game for Swindon first team, he was spotted by an American Football scout, and offered a trial with NY Jets. They signed him as a kicker, and immediately traded him to the Patriots. He always says that the first game of American football he ever saw, he played in it, but I think he may be exagerating a bit.

The rest of the family stayed here, but he used to fly us out every Christmas for a few weeks to watch him...

He actually got spotted when he was on holiday in New York. He was always obsessive about training, so was taking the opportunity to practice by shooting at an American football goal in a park, trying to hit the single upright from 30 yards (he had a great shot on him !). Some guy was walking his dog and stopped to watch him. He came and asked him if he could hit the post on the left and he did. He then said hit the post on the right and he did. He then hit the one on the left again, and the guy asked for his address details and said he worked for the NY Jets. When he got back to England there was a letter with airline tickets in it for a trail.

He swears that hitting the post 3 times in a row was a complete fluke, and he could never do it again, but he was lucky at the right time.
He had 10 years on (what was then) megamoney
Cheltred

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: Tuesday, July 7, 2020, 18:32:32 »

Thanks for that. I remember it and I'm sure one of the papers thought it was the same John Smith that played in the League Cup Final! It's not a very common name, of course!
Valid Pint

« Reply #278 on: Tuesday, July 7, 2020, 18:49:11 »

Brilliant. Thank you.
Swindon-Town-FC.co.uk

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: Tuesday, July 7, 2020, 19:11:49 »

That is a brilliant story - I had no idea about the "other" John Smith from the 1968/69 season.

He didn't play for the first team, but he was a regular for the reserves and "A" team in the late sixties - the pinnacle of his Town career was a goal against Oxford reserves!
http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MatchCentre.asp?AuxiliaryTeam=Reserves&MatchID=1519691514

Valid Pint

« Reply #280 on: Tuesday, July 7, 2020, 19:37:34 »

So in that clip Steelers were in green, & it sounds like Weston(-Super-Mare?) were in red?

Vaga - did Weston have a team around that time?
Valid Pint

« Reply #281 on: Sunday, July 12, 2020, 11:51:43 »

Q is also for:
The Queen's Tap. A proper boozer frequented by railway-using out of town fans before or after home games.
Also a welcome venue after away-day excursion using the same method of transport.
Cheers QT!
« Last Edit: Sunday, July 12, 2020, 11:53:29 by Valid Pint » Logged
Cheltred

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: Sunday, July 12, 2020, 17:24:38 »

That is a brilliant story - I had no idea about the "other" John Smith from the 1968/69 season.

He didn't play for the first team, but he was a regular for the reserves and "A" team in the late sixties - the pinnacle of his Town career was a goal against Oxford reserves!
http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MatchCentre.asp?AuxiliaryTeam=Reserves&MatchID=1519691514

Interesting. Note the gate almost 1900. Hubbard and Blick ( permanent stand in for Burrows) played in the first team
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #283 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 00:50:11 »

R is for Red
&
Racnarmee.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Valid Pint

« Reply #284 on: Wednesday, October 14, 2020, 20:26:43 »

S is for Sunderland.

Bryan Wade's swivel at the Town End in the League Cup.

The 1-0 annihilation at Wembley.

5-3 goal fest at the CG.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20   Go Up
Print
Jump to: