Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 20   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: STFC related A-Z  (Read 63527 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #60 on: Thursday, April 9, 2020, 17:19:12 »

Tbh, I got to meet Joey Beauchamp quite a bit through greyhounds - he had them with John Peterson who trained at Oxford.

He’s a right nice fella.
I had a beer with him when I worked at the club, hes actually a really gentle bloke and really nice and softly spoken, was talking to him about his move to Wet Spam and said he hated every minute of it, not really about the distance as was said, he hated Redknapp and Bonds!

All they wanted him to do was run laps round the pitch and no training with the ball.

Hes still ex scum though and I do still laugh when I see that match above.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Thursday, April 9, 2020, 17:24:33 »

The consensus, as they said in the TV commentary, was that he never settled at Swindon.  And that's true to a point.  His best periods were for Oxford, no doubt about it.  But that glosses over the cracking performances he put in for us under Gorman - with whom he seemed to have a good relationship.  McMahon hated him, fair enough.  But John G got him playing as a very effective replacement for Summerbee.  Even now, I can remember some of his runs down the wing and thinking 'something's going to happen here'.  And Oxford fans, of course, hated that.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #62 on: Thursday, April 9, 2020, 17:29:56 »

Joey played an absolute blinder away at Charlton in the league cup in 94 in a 4-1 win, he was unplayable that evening. He set a couple up and scored off the post and keeper from 25 yards.

One of the few good games he played for us.

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Thursday, April 9, 2020, 18:45:48 »

Dave Bambi Bamber.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Thursday, April 9, 2020, 19:31:53 »

Tbh, I got to meet Joey Beauchamp quite a bit through greyhounds - he had them with John Peterson who trained at Oxford.

He’s a right nice fella.

I played against him in a sunday league game and he tore our team to shreds. Scored 5 i think. He did get a bit arsey when i kicked him at a corner though Cheesy
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Friday, April 10, 2020, 08:17:57 »

‘C’s

Cambridge - when the Hoddle team destroyed the anti football of John Beck’s hoofers

Crystal Palace - not a game, but in the pub beforehand when we were convinced Roy Wegerle was at the bar - that was a hoot.

Valid Pint

« Reply #66 on: Friday, April 10, 2020, 08:34:56 »

Clive King. Now departed this league. Formerly football correspondent on the Evening Advertiser (as was). Regular attendee at home and away games. Butt of the famous "black socks (or was it shorts) at Tranmere" prank. Anyone remember that one?
Peter Venkman

« Reply #67 on: Friday, April 10, 2020, 08:36:18 »

Colin Calderwood, Double C.

Brilliant player and person.

4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Friday, April 10, 2020, 08:43:55 »

County Ground  Pint
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Friday, April 10, 2020, 08:47:55 »

Charlton away. THAT play-off semi.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Friday, April 10, 2020, 08:59:32 »

Charlton away. THAT play-off semi.

That was awesome.  But so was the League game there almost exactly 20 years ago.  They were top by a mile and on their way up to the Prem; and we were rooted to the bottom.  We beat them, of course.  The funniest bit for me was when our stand started hurling abuse at one of theirs - graphic gestures, the lot - only for my friend James to see his girlfriend's Dad (Charlton fan) staring right back at him.  I don't think the relationship lasted a lot longer.
sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Friday, April 10, 2020, 09:04:51 »

Clive King. Now departed this league. Formerly football correspondent on the Evening Advertiser (as was). Regular attendee at home and away games. Butt of the famous "black socks (or was it shorts) at Tranmere" prank. Anyone remember that one?

That was my era but can’t recall the prank.
Pray tell....
kirky69

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Friday, April 10, 2020, 09:18:24 »

'Charlie Charlie Henry's' goal against Gillingham at the County Ground to set up the play off final replay at Selhurst Park and Chalkie White's double securing promotion for the second season in succession. 
Valid Pint

« Reply #73 on: Friday, April 10, 2020, 09:44:04 »

ayes in black socks (or shorts?).
That was my era but can’t recall the prank.
Pray tell....
Early 80s. Div 4 evening game. Probably one of their Friday nighters.
Bored on the coach on the way home, someone started a story about why we had played in black socks (or shorts?) which was unusual at the time. We hadn't. Clive overheard the conversation but he, like many, could not recall the colours.
The phantom changed kit was reported in an Adver story!
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Friday, April 10, 2020, 11:08:11 »

That was awesome.  But so was the League game there almost exactly 20 years ago.  They were top by a mile and on their way up to the Prem; and we were rooted to the bottom.  We beat them, of course.  The funniest bit for me was when our stand started hurling abuse at one of theirs - graphic gestures, the lot - only for my friend James to see his girlfriend's Dad (Charlton fan) staring right back at him.  I don't think the relationship lasted a lot longer.

Frank Talia with the greatest goalkeeping performance of all time
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 20   Go Up
Print
Jump to: