Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Seasons End Predictions  (Read 39664 times)
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 12:40:04 »

I'm not a fan of regionalisation, just cause I think it would get boring playing the same teams.

I quite like the odd trip up to some Northern shithole like Blackpool for a weekend, though admittedly that's not very often these days.

plus, it feels Mickey mouse to me.

but that's all just personal opinion, suspect I'll be in the minority

Maybe, but I'll join you.  Regionalisation would mean just the same few teams at the top each year. Having a Div 4 gives any team,  well managed, a shot at promotion.   I think a Div 3 N/S would do away with that. 

Also if a shit northern team popped up from the conference, we wouldn't play them, so how could we keep up our defeating the other 91 club record (92 If you count three myriad timers we've beaten ourselves).

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 12:52:50 »

Voiding the pro game would be a sports lawyers dream. It won't happen but until an announcement is made, I fear it.

I think there's another issue here that's not been discussed much.  If you void the competition, you set a precedent.  We will have completed ¾ of the season only for all of those games to become meaningless.  Supporters would, quite rightly, start to ask in future seasons whether the games they were watching would ultimately mean anything.  I hate to say it, but this could happen again...and if it did within the next 5 or 10 years, it could kill the concept of league football all together.

One way or another, a solution needs to be found that honours the 35 or so games that have already taken place.  And I'm not (I promise!) just saying that because I'm a Swindon fan.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 12:55:37 »

I think there's another issue here that's not been discussed much.  If you void the competition, you set a precedent.  We will have completed ¾ of the season only for all of those games to become meaningless.  Supporters would, quite rightly, start to ask in future seasons whether the games they were watching would ultimately mean anything.  I hate to say it, but this could happen again...and if it did within the next 5 or 10 years, it could kill the concept of league football all together.

One way or another, a solution needs to be found that honours the 35 or so games that have already taken place.  And I'm not (I promise!) just saying that because I'm a Swindon fan.

PPG isn't perfect, but it's fairest solution,  imo. Unless the playing behind closed doors cam happen.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 13:00:02 »

Yep, I've being saying it for years. Lower costs, bigger crowds, more fun.
I don't get why you want regionalisation or what it would actually achieve. If we were a 'South club we'd still have Colchester, Southend, Plymouth and the like so it's not like you are getting rid of long journeys.  
Despite the amount we moan about it the transport connections in this country are now pretty good so I see no point in going back half a century. Also you'd be stuck playing the same teams and have half the variety we currently have so would get very boring. Trips to Carlisle, Morecambe etc get you going to places that you would normally never bother visiting.

Regionalisation is very unappealing to me and it also becomes a complete farce when the balancing of leagues is done. Gloucester City are in the National League North so places like Gateshead and Darlington are in their league, only 200 odd miles away so hardly regional.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #79 on: Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 13:18:16 »

Current North South/Border divide.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 13:25:32 »

Just highlights how shit it would be IMO
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 13:29:10 »

I have a feeling we will do similar. Do a partial refund for season tickets or reduce next seasons prices for existing customers etc and finish it behind closed doors.
This.,  let's just get it done.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 18:22:24 »

I don't want my money back if they lob it on ifollow
Valid Pint

« Reply #83 on: Wednesday, April 1, 2020, 06:37:33 »

National League has now been suspended indefinitely. But meeting today between PL & EFL. What will happen next?

singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Wednesday, April 1, 2020, 13:55:12 »

I have a feeling we will do similar. Do a partial refund for season tickets or reduce next seasons prices for existing customers etc and finish it behind closed doors.

every fan would be different I'm sure but personally I would be really disappointed in any fan that asked for a refund and put their club financially at even more risk.

you have already paid your money last year. you watched 3/4 of a season supporting your team. your team may not survive if you all asked for it back. fans hate it when clubs treat fans like customers and fans should not treat it like a normal business.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: Wednesday, April 1, 2020, 13:59:43 »

every fan would be different I'm sure but personally I would be really disappointed in any fan that asked for a refund and put their club financially at even more risk.

you have already paid your money last year. you watched 3/4 of a season supporting your team. your team may not survive if you all asked for it back. fans hate it when clubs treat fans like customers and fans should not treat it like a normal business.
Personally I would agree but with people losing jobs etc not all will be in a position to make this decision.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Wednesday, April 1, 2020, 14:34:01 »

Personally I would agree but with people losing jobs etc not all will be in a position to make this decision.

of course. it's a tough one, I'm not sure a refund would ever be on the table anyway. if clubs were on the brink in these exceptional circumstances there would be lot of support from fans willing to put money in to cover any of those wanting out.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: Wednesday, April 1, 2020, 23:36:45 »

What the hell is going on with that Welsh "North/South" divide? It's like a State Border in the United States of Frycheiniog  Wink

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Valid Pint

« Reply #88 on: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 06:29:15 »

No conclusion in PL, EFL & PFA talks which continue today. Very worrying. Let's hope Bradford don't have the last laugh if the season is voided. Would Bury be back in the EFL?
I say finish 19/20 when we can, then have a season of 23 games - play every club once, random if you play a club home or away. Cup comps to be run as usual.
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 06:43:08 »

On finishing the season...

L1/L2 Clubs need the gate receipts
No point playing it behind closed doors
So should wait until we can attend games again
Then play this season to a conclusion
Have 2 weeks off and start the next season
Play every Sat-Tues-Sat with perhaps some Sat-Tues-Thurs-Sat for as long as it takes to get it back to equilibrium
Players might be knackered but would be great for fans and Clubs need it
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: