Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Seasons End Predictions  (Read 39871 times)
Panda Paws

« Reply #60 on: Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 08:11:38 »

Slightly off piste, but given the lack of financial sustainability for L1/L2 Clubs, is there a decent logic to regionalising both divisions permanently - cut travelling costs and increase attendances through more local games for away fans

Yep, I've being saying it for years. Lower costs, bigger crowds, more fun.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 08:58:01 »

Maybe a good start would be to ask either openly or confidentially the owners and managers how they would like to see this season finish. Then go from there.
Think they've done that, well asked the clubs (which will be owners) anyway. The problem is building a consensus
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 09:02:12 »

Slightly off piste, but given the lack of financial sustainability for L1/L2 Clubs, is there a decent logic to regionalising both divisions permanently - cut travelling costs and increase attendances through more local games for away fans
There are not enough clubs of equal ability for this to work.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 09:04:36 »

There are not enough clubs of equal ability for this to work.

But isn't this just winding the clock back 60 years?  Pre-1958, you had Division 1, Division 2, Division 3 North & Division 3 South.  There's a precedent for this.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 09:11:48 »

Are there 24 ‘southern’ and ‘northern’ clubs of equal ability, though?

If you are already a poor L2 southern club what chance have you got having to compete with 12 L1 clubs.

Anyhoo, this goes on long enough and there will be more than enough natural wastage.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 09:19:36 »

The differential in the standard of football between League 1 & League 2 is not that great.  A bigger issue, I think, would be that only a couple of teams from each of the N&S divisions could be promoted to Div 2.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 09:24:56 »

The differential in the standard of football between League 1 & League 2 is not that great.
And it would rebalance over time - if all the L1 and L2 clubs were effectively at the same level, there'd be a balancing out in wages, which tends to be the differentiator in whether a club is any good or not, which would then balance out the quality. But as Audrey says, if this goes on for a few months or more we may well end up with only enough teams for one 3rd division anyway.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 11:04:49 »

Problem solved - Squires has sorted it

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2020/mar/31/david-squires-on-the-english-premier-league-game-julian-fellowes-netflix

/thread
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 11:19:34 »

I'm not a fan of regionalisation, just cause I think it would get boring playing the same teams.

I quite like the odd trip up to some Northern shithole like Blackpool for a weekend, though admittedly that's not very often these days.

plus, it feels Mickey mouse to me.

but that's all just personal opinion, suspect I'll be in the minority
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 11:36:26 »

I don't think you'd be in the minority. Lots of people don't like radical change and I think people would be upset with such a change and see it as disrespectful etc.

I do agree that people who love their away days would probably suffer and home attendances probably won't be as great as we'd anticipate (probably the same as now). Although I would argue that we play the same 'boring' teams most seasons anyway and, although I'm not a fan of the term, I don't think regionalisation would be any more 'tinpot' than what L1 and L2 already is.

The biggest issue would be the 'what is North and what is South?'

Non-League have never really fully figured it out and over the years with teams like Gloucester City being placed in the Northern divisions having to play Blyth Spartans which defeats the whole purpose. It would also get potentially probelmatic when the relegated clubs from The Championship and promoted teams from Non-League come through.

I am pro-review of the structure of English football as a result of current events, I doubt there will be. I am on the surface level pro-regionalisation of the lower leagues but definitely see why folk wouldn't want it.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 11:39:19 »

If they voided the season, surely they open themselves up to legal action from those clubs that would have gained promotion, but surely with 3/4 of the season played voiding the season would be the wrong thing to do.

Potentially finish the season with how the table stands now, maybe make the play offs 1 leg all at neutral venues and a final.

They cant keep pushing it out as it then affects next season and any future season if the season finishes later to adjust then the following season has to start later so players get adequate rest (you could argue they are getting it now) and clubs able to deal with out of contract players and build new squads.

It is a minefield but surely the FL & PL have to be thinking this way and making plans for the what if scenario.

I think the next couple of weeks will be crucial, if there is still not sign of when things will improve then they will have to start thinking this way

The main thing is though helping out the clubs as the would losse gate receipts
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 11:49:04 »

There are already a handful of Non-League clubs looking in to appealing the decision to void their respective levels. I've read arguments elsewhere regarding things like fines paid being returned if everything has been expunged and, although not the biggest issue, it's a fair point.

Voiding the pro game would be a sports lawyers dream. It won't happen but until an announcement is made, I fear it.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 12:05:20 »

If they voided the season, surely they open themselves up to legal action from those clubs that would have gained promotion
And if they finish it in any other way than by playing the games (e.g. as it stands, PPG, simulating remaining matches) they open themselves up to legal action from the clubs that get relegated. As you say, it's a legal minefield
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 12:20:34 »

Apparently Bundesliga clubs have voted to resume the season in May, behind closed doors
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #74 on: Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 12:24:19 »

Apparently Bundesliga clubs have voted to resume the season in May, behind closed doors
I have a feeling we will do similar. Do a partial refund for season tickets or reduce next seasons prices for existing customers etc and finish it behind closed doors.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: