Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Seasons End Predictions  (Read 39790 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 06:57:08 »

Some sensible options from Mark Warburton

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11711/11966787/managers-view-from-qpr-boss-mark-warburton-football-needs-to-set-a-return-date
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 08:12:48 »

On finishing the season...

L1/L2 Clubs need the gate receipts
No point playing it behind closed doors
So should wait until we can attend games again
Then play this season to a conclusion
Have 2 weeks off and start the next season
Play every Sat-Tues-Sat with perhaps some Sat-Tues-Thurs-Sat for as long as it takes to get it back to equilibrium
Players might be knackered but would be great for fans and Clubs need it

Is this your opinion (fair enough) or something that came out the meeting?

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 08:15:57 »

It would be handy if they could just agree that the present season will be finished - come what may.

No need for any timescale.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 08:44:48 »

Interesting:

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/football-news/coventry-city-league-one-fixtures-18025730
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 09:45:45 »

TLDR: the proposal is decide league placings on PPG, no relegation, promote those in auto spots plus the next one (i.e. no play-offs). Which would leave a 23-team Premiership, think it falls on that hurdle (because PL clubs won't accept the expansion of the league)
ReadingRed

Pragmatist clapper

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 10:03:45 »

On finishing the season...

Have 2 weeks off and start the next season

If pitches need to be dug up and relaid over the summer that would preclude any short 2-week turnaround between the 2 seasons, but I don't know if relaying is essential or if it can be put off for a year. Anyone know?

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 10:10:15 »

TLDR: the proposal is decide league placings on PPG, no relegation, promote those in auto spots plus the next one (i.e. no play-offs). Which would leave a 23-team Premiership, think it falls on that hurdle (because PL clubs won't accept the expansion of the league)
Why would the PL veto that? Subsequent seasons would see additional clubs relegated to return to a 20 team league.

Surely it’s the least they can do as no actual cash help is likely to be forthcoming.
Cheltred

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 10:27:29 »

If pitches need to be dug up and relaid over the summer that would preclude any short 2-week turnaround between the 2 seasons, but I don't know if relaying is essential or if it can be put off for a year. Anyone know?
And there's something no one (as far as I know) has mentioned - how long does it take to do the fixtures for the following season?
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 10:37:45 »

The best idea I’ve seen is finish this season - be it July, August or September. Have a month break before the start of next season, and have no domestic cup competitions (FA Cup, League Cup and Tinpot Trophy).
With that leaving you a number of free weekends and evening games, plus add an addition 4/5 evening games and you should still be able to finish the season at a relatively normal time.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 10:38:24 »

Why would the PL veto that? Subsequent seasons would see additional clubs relegated to return to a 20 team league.

Surely it’s the least they can do as no actual cash help is likely to be forthcoming.
Because they're a bunch of self-interested wankers with no interest in helping out the rest of football?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 11:12:36 »

And there's something no one (as far as I know) has mentioned - how long does it take to do the fixtures for the following season?
Done by computer isn't it? So I'd imagine that's pretty much click the button and off you go?
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 11:32:36 »

Can’t be beyond the wit of man - you could set up a ‘fixture list’ now for next year if you wanted, just use this years league position as placeholders and then drop in teams once the table is finalised

And then do a quick manual adjustment at the end so you don’t end up with things like Liverpool and Everton at home on the same day. That’s the bit you probably couldn’t be as thorough about - might have to resort to a lot more instances of moving games to Sunday’s/wednesdays rather than being too clever
« Last Edit: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 11:34:10 by Bogus Dave » Logged

Things get better but they never get good
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 12:05:12 »

Belgium league is the first to go, starting over again next season.

I firmly believe all leagues and cups will be voided here and across Europe. As soon as the Champs League goes everything under that will fall into line.
« Last Edit: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 12:06:46 by Abrahammer » Logged
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 12:16:40 »

Got that wrong, they have declared the season over and final positions will stand.

That would be fine if happened over here!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #104 on: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 12:52:49 »

Got that wrong, they have declared the season over and final positions will stand.

That would be fine if happened over here!
This happening here will be fine with me too!

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: