Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Seasons End Predictions  (Read 39362 times)
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Sunday, March 29, 2020, 12:04:21 »

Mind you, when things start re-adjusting towards normality, I wouldn't mind seeing a 2021 mini-season that goes regional in the EFL.

Alas, the policing costs probably make it unrealistic but sign me up to something involving this... even if we finish bottom because we don't do derbies (and localish games)

EFL REGIONAL (South & South West)

1. Swindon Town
2. Oxford United
3. Reading
4. Bristol City
5. Bristol Rovers
6. Cheltenham Town
7. Forest Green Rovers
8. Newport County
9. Plymouth Argyle
10. Exeter City
11. Swansea City
12. Cardiff City
13. Portsmouth
14. Bournemouth
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Monday, March 30, 2020, 15:02:45 »

This season has to be played to a conclusion.  Fuck worrying about next season,  let's get this season finished then we can worry about next season.
 Solution is simple,  once we are able to play then finish this season,  whether that is in July, October or  January,  let's just get it done. 
If a season has to be voided then void next season,  not this season even leapfrog next season if we have to.

Justice must be shown to be done, clubs that deserve to be relegated should be relegated,  clubs that deserve to be promoted should be promoted.
Cup competitions could be adjusted depending on the finish of this season.   Either put back, or cancelled completely for one season if fixtures deem it necessary.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Monday, March 30, 2020, 15:12:22 »

That has to be the correct approach but the limited information available from the press suggests this unlikely.  If the next season is shortened then everyone knows where they stand ab initio.

Nothing to see here
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Monday, March 30, 2020, 15:12:29 »

Whenever football can start - finish off this season. The 10 games or so could be played as a prequel  to the following season. Promotion and relegation from this season sorted.

Have, maybe, a 2 week break between this season’s programme finishing and the new season starting with clubs moving up or down to their appropriate league.

Yes, it will be difficult recruiting a squad not knowing which league you may be in but that is the price clubs have to pay to get it all sorted.

So, a 56 game season and drop Cup competitions except for the FA Cup
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Monday, March 30, 2020, 15:38:53 »

If the season get voided Bolton's punishment will effectively disappear as well and they will have completely got away with their financial mess. That in itself is enough reason that the season needs to be played out to a conclusion or at the very least concluded with the current standings or PPG calculation.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Monday, March 30, 2020, 15:42:37 »

This season has to be played to a conclusion.  Fuck worrying about next season,  let's get this season finished then we can worry about next season.
 Solution is simple,  once we are able to play then finish this season,  whether that is in July, October or  January,  let's just get it done. 
If a season has to be voided then void next season,  not this season even leapfrog next season if we have to.

Justice must be shown to be done, clubs that deserve to be relegated should be relegated,  clubs that deserve to be promoted should be promoted.
Cup competitions could be adjusted depending on the finish of this season.   Either put back, or cancelled completely for one season if fixtures deem it necessary.
Completely agree. It's the only sensible approach*. Which means the football authorities will almost certainly do something different.

* the caveat to this is, as always, financial. It may be that the league has to bring this season to an end sooner rather than later to allow clubs to start selling season tickets for "next season" (whenever that might be) to allleviate their cashflow considerations. If that is a driver, I hope they still conclude this season, whether by PPG or even using the FIFA simulation model, rather than voiding it
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Monday, March 30, 2020, 16:36:03 »

There are zero perfect solutions other than finishing the campaign but I do think it's 'June or bust' as far as that option is concerned. 2020-21 will be impacted if the season restarts tomorrow or November.

The framework within the football industry is way more complex than we want it be and finishing the season post-June won't be easy as the FA will have their say. As will the Premier League, Football League, National League will have interests, BT Sport, Sky Sports, international media companies, PFA, LMA, sponsors..... yada yada yada etc etc - I'll be surprised and impressed with all involved if the 'greater good' happens.

If it happens then the last ten games will be glorious chaos, it's own mini-season. Previous campaign form will be largely irrelevant beyond acting like how F1 qualifying decides the starting grid. Whoever has managed their down time better will prevail. It should be fun (if Swindon go up).
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Monday, March 30, 2020, 16:41:16 »

There's more chance of me playing in the final 10 games than there is of them being played IMO.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Monday, March 30, 2020, 17:25:02 »

There's more chance of me playing in the final 10 games than there is of them being played IMO.
void or this, not sure which is least damaging

Smiley
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #54 on: Monday, March 30, 2020, 17:31:25 »

Get yer boots out laddie. (not sure why but in my head I said that in Bill Shankleys voice Cheesy )

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Monday, March 30, 2020, 17:59:40 »

Mind you, when things start re-adjusting towards normality, I wouldn't mind seeing a 2021 mini-season that goes regional in the EFL.

Alas, the policing costs probably make it unrealistic but sign me up to something involving this... even if we finish bottom because we don't do derbies (and localish games)

EFL REGIONAL (South & South West)

1. Swindon Town
2. Oxford United
3. Reading
4. Bristol City
5. Bristol Rovers
6. Cheltenham Town
7. Forest Green Rovers
8. Newport County
9. Plymouth Argyle
10. Exeter City
11. Swansea City
12. Cardiff City
13. Portsmouth
14. Bournemouth

Slightly off piste, but given the lack of financial sustainability for L1/L2 Clubs, is there a decent logic to regionalising both divisions permanently - cut travelling costs and increase attendances through more local games for away fans
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Monday, March 30, 2020, 18:03:11 »

would not enjoy regionalised leagues myself
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 06:28:09 »

Maybe a good start would be to ask either openly or confidentially the owners and managers how they would like to see this season finish. Then go from there.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 06:32:59 »

Everybody has a vested interest, though. Those in danger of relegation will want the season voided, those going for promotion will want the season finished. Those middle for diddle clubs would also probably go for a void.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 07:53:04 »

Everybody has a vested interest, though. Those in danger of relegation will want the season voided, those going for promotion will want the season finished. Those middle for diddle clubs would also probably go for a void.

Ask the question. Has to be a majority consensus to move forward or else the season is suspended indefinitely. Another thought I had driving to work this morning was this situation could easily be the opening for a proper breakaway European league.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: