Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Seasons End Predictions  (Read 38951 times)
Cheltred

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Saturday, March 28, 2020, 18:46:15 »

PPG seems the obvious solution with the highest placed team in the playoffs taking the final promotion slot.

I can see a team like WHU making a legal challenge however.  No feel for whether they would have a strong case in law.

Voiding seems wrong but easier.

Apart from Swindon, the team I would feel really sorry for would be Barrow.  Voted out of the league rather unfairly (they finished third from bottom and were replaced by Hereford who didn't even win their league), they have struggled for 48 years and are now having far and away their best season since 1972, well clear at the top of the National League.
What isn't so well known is that the League (allegedly) actually broke their rules then. They and Hereford got the same  number of votes at the first count - the rules stated that the non league club had to get MORE votes to get in, so that should have been that with Barrow staying up. Instead there was a second ballot and Hereford, of course, won. All this allegedly of course
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Saturday, March 28, 2020, 19:21:54 »

If the season can't be completed at some point my suggestion;

PPG.

Those teams in Promotion POs play their matches BCD and also teams in Relegation positions play BCD Relegation POs too.

Winners from both sets then play each other (Prem R PO winner v Champ P PO winner, Champ R PO winner v L1 PO winner...and so on.) to determine the last auto and relegation slots. That way it gives a chance for any of those teams (who may potentially protest about falling into the relegation/PO spots due to PPG alone), to play for their place to remain or go up.

Where three teams go down the team in the highest position gets a bye and the bottom two play each other first.

It's not perfect and those who miss out on a PO spot via PPG would be the only ones making a fuss. It would be more damage limiting as only one team from each promoting division; so three clubs over Champ, L1 & L2 (or Bristol City, Sunderland (sweet justice), & Port Vale (as it stands, not sure what positions PPG would produce)).

Much better than all current automatic promotion placed clubs missing out by voiding as that would give us 7 clubs plus denying Liverpool as Champions of their division and teams in current PO places protesting too. So voiding has a much bigger knock on and mess. Much easier to say compensate just three teams over the divisions, missing out on POs via PPG (if they make a claim); call it a form of "solidarity" payment.

Would the EFL (mostly) & EPL rather have three potential claims or 32 claims (7 auto, Liverpool, all PO spots and all relegation spots) to deal with? All 32 of those would have a claim of being denied winning a title and going/staying up.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
flammableBen

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Saturday, March 28, 2020, 19:27:20 »

As the weeks go on it's starting to seem less and less important.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Saturday, March 28, 2020, 19:44:58 »

not to me it isn't, not yet. I need something to look forward to after its over.

obviously I don't mean it's more important than saving lives. The emergency services cannot be diverted for football!

having just come off tablets for extreme health anxiety I hope can see I need to keep the two things separate and think more about one then the other
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #34 on: Sunday, March 29, 2020, 09:57:08 »

not to me it isn't, not yet. I need something to look forward to after its over.

obviously I don't mean it's more important than saving lives. The emergency services cannot be diverted for football!

having just come off tablets for extreme health anxiety I hope can see I need to keep the two things separate and think more about one then the other
This.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Sunday, March 29, 2020, 10:15:44 »

For me, STFC is just as important as ever if not more so. The fact is that really bad things have always been happening in the World but it has never stopped me caring about football in general / STFC in particular. What is happening now is obviously a particularly bad thing which is impacting on every one of us and is highly visible, unlike many of the other truly terrible things that happen which the media don't make us aware of.

I think that's a good way of putting it. STFC is woven into the fabric of my regular, every day life, my psyche and soul (is that a bit OTT? No...I don't think it is) which I am missing more than I could have ever imagined. That's not going to diminish, even with the enormity of the situation we find ourselves in.
« Last Edit: Sunday, March 29, 2020, 10:18:09 by OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR » Logged
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Sunday, March 29, 2020, 10:25:40 »

I know what you mean.  The club will be back next season, and we'll all be there...regardless of the division we're playing in.  Promotion figured massively in my thoughts until a few weeks ago, and I still want it.  But it's a lot further down the wish list than it was.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Sunday, March 29, 2020, 10:36:13 »

I know what you mean.  The club will be back next season, and we'll all be there...regardless of the division we're playing in.  Promotion figured massively in my thoughts until a few weeks ago, and I still want it.  But it's a lot further down the wish list than it was.

Yeah I’m pretty much in this camp as well.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #38 on: Sunday, March 29, 2020, 10:37:05 »

STFC is woven into the fabric of my regular, every day life, my psyche and soul (is that a bit OTT? No...I don't think it is) which I am missing more than I could have ever imagined. That's not going to diminish, even with the enormity of the situation we find ourselves in.
Yep, absolutely.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Sunday, March 29, 2020, 10:49:30 »

I will be glad to get back to 'normal' and get the opportunity to watch some football again. If ultimately this is div 4 again then it will be a disappointment but there we are.  It occurs to me there is more to life than whether one football season has been disrupted.

Nothing to see here
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Sunday, March 29, 2020, 11:00:11 »

Think Klopp put it quite well: "Football is the most important of the not important things" (or words to that effect, quoting from memory, can't be arsed to look it up)

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Sunday, March 29, 2020, 11:05:13 »

I hope we get to win the league as I backed us at 20/1
Jilted John

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Sunday, March 29, 2020, 11:20:11 »

I will be glad to get back to 'normal' and get the opportunity to watch some football again. If ultimately this is div 4 again then it will be a disappointment but there we are.  It occurs to me there is more to life than whether one football season has been disrupted.

If the season was declared void, it would be a disappointment. That said there's a lot more going on at the moment.

Change the fucking record, nobody has said that football is more important than life but you seem to be constantly insinuating they have.

Of course life and the current climate is way more important but for so many fans football is a way to avoid the stresses of life, for many it seems the only way to avoid what is going on.

Are you Reg? changing the direction of threads to suit your own end purposes?

I picked up some shopping for the old and infirm earlier today but I don't like to talk about it.
Modest with it.

Without Ill informed commentary, this forum would cease to exist.
Oh and a judge, sorry your honour.

We're not really violent people... this is our first gun.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Sunday, March 29, 2020, 11:23:14 »

Change the fucking record, nobody has said that football is more important than life but you seem to be constantly insinuating they have.

Of course life and the current climate is way more important but for so many fans football is a way to avoid the stresses of life, for many it seems the only way to avoid what is going on.

Are you Reg? changing the direction of threads to suit your own end purposes?
Modest with it.
Oh and a judge, sorry your honour.

I am flattered by the the fact that you have taken the time to consider, analyse and comment on my previous posts.

Nothing to see here
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Sunday, March 29, 2020, 11:42:29 »

I want promotion.
I would love the L2 title.
I fear the voiding of the season and how that'll impart STFC in the future.

I'm not really missing the day-to-day of the football season but because everything remains up-in-the-air it doesn't feel like the dull parts of May and June when there's no football and no credible transfer rumours.

The more I think about it, the more I think I'm mentally preparing for the worst case scenario of voiding the season (nobody will convince that it's off the table).

They can't expunge the memories though... can they?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: