Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Seasons End Predictions  (Read 38941 times)
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: Thursday, April 9, 2020, 13:15:27 »

BBC Article related to Nixon tweet:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52230105
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: Thursday, April 9, 2020, 13:25:51 »

I presume there will be an Ifollow style of subscription for fans. Clearly its not going to be anything like gate receipts but at least there would be some income for clubs.
Apparently the club gets 70% of the take on ifollow, I.e £7 per viewer per match,  obviously less from season ticket holder's, but can't see there being that many of them.   It would be some income for the club but as said nothing like a real matchday.  Expenditure would be a lot less though,  maybe the way ahead.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: Thursday, April 9, 2020, 13:33:52 »

Would be a shame to not watch us get promoted (if it happens) but I'd rather this than the season getting expunged
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: Thursday, April 9, 2020, 13:45:36 »

Reading the comments below that article - & elsewhere - it feels to me that the prevailing feeling is that the season should just be abandoned.  I disagree for reasons that I've gone through before - but with so  many people taking the view now that football doesn't really matter anyway in the scheme of what's going on at the moment, it wouldn't be that hard for the EFL to void the season.  I'm not sure either that playing 9 or 10 games behind closed doors is going to work.

Throwing one more idea in to the mix.  How about cancelling all matches now until when next season would have started (in 4 months from now) - and then resume the 2019/20 season?  You would then complete that season in October, before taking another short break before the start of the 2020/21 shortly before Christmas.  The 2020/21 season would be half the length of a normal league season; with each team playing its opponents just once.  Some teams would get 11 home games and others 12...but you'd have to swallow that.  I'm not sure how you'd handle cup competitions.  Just a thought.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: Thursday, April 9, 2020, 14:03:47 »

Reading the comments below that article - & elsewhere - it feels to me that the prevailing feeling is that the season should just be abandoned.  I disagree for reasons that I've gone through before - but with so  many people taking the view now that football doesn't really matter anyway in the scheme of what's going on at the moment, it wouldn't be that hard for the EFL to void the season.  I'm not sure either that playing 9 or 10 games behind closed doors is going to work.
Assuming it can be managed logistically (i.e. without putting players at unnecessary risk), playing the remaining games behind closed doors is always going to be less hassle from a legal/administrative point of view than voiding. If it comes to it, then PPG. Voiding is the worst possible outcome.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: Thursday, April 9, 2020, 14:15:48 »

I'm with you there.  Just being pessimistic!
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: Thursday, April 9, 2020, 14:18:55 »

If the football authorities have any marbles left at all, they have to be considering the implications of having an interrupted season for 2020/21 as well.  There is now way, without a vaccine, that we return fully to normal by a set date in a few months and then it all goes on as before.  Best case scenario, we return to a degree of normality and have intermittent shut downs are tightening again.
Panda Paws

« Reply #187 on: Thursday, April 9, 2020, 14:21:22 »

Football behind closed doors is utterly pointless. Just figure out a way to wait until we can resume, irrelevant of how long.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: Thursday, April 9, 2020, 14:29:45 »

Football behind closed doors is utterly pointless. Just figure out a way to wait until we can resume, irrelevant of how long.
Agree with the sentiment but clubs cannot hang on indenfinitely without revenue. One of the big drivers to end this season, which really isn't being considered in a lot of these discussions is that most clubs around now would be getting in season ticket money (not many start selling STs as early as we do). The advance from the PL will plug that gap temporarily, once it starts to be distributed. But that money will run out too. Once an end point is set for this season, and a start point for next season, then clubs can begin/resume selling STs and bring in some of their own revenues again. Football cannot be suspended indefinitely beyond the next month or so without further external funding.
Flashheart

« Reply #189 on: Thursday, April 9, 2020, 14:31:09 »

I doubt that having a 'point' is a priority right now.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: Thursday, April 9, 2020, 14:32:53 »

Either wait until it’s safe for fans to attend or do it on PPG. Behind closed doors will be a nonsense and you’ll get odd results as matches won’t have the same intensity and some players will just be going through the motions especially at teams with nothing to play for.

They should just delay it until safe to resume with fans, scrap the nations league, scrap the Euros and scrap the 2022 World Cup to allow club football to get back in sync. International football is unimportant in the grand scheme of things and the 2022 World Cup shouldn’t be happening anyway with the corruption issues. I know there is no chance of FIFA doing this because they are lucrative for them but this should be getting looked at.
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: Thursday, April 9, 2020, 15:40:52 »

If the football authorities have any marbles left at all, they have to be considering the implications of having an interrupted season for 2020/21 as well.  There is now way, without a vaccine, that we return fully to normal by a set date in a few months and then it all goes on as before.  Best case scenario, we return to a degree of normality and have intermittent shut downs are tightening again.

This. 

There will be no "going back to normal" for the foreseeable future.  The football shutdown was fast-tracked due to Arteta getting the coronavirus.  Any behind-closed-doors plans act as if footballers (and anyone working alongside a football team) and their families are somehow immune. 
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: Thursday, April 9, 2020, 16:16:15 »

I don't mind the idea of behind closed doors under the circumstances.

well, if it's that or void anyway
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #193 on: Thursday, April 9, 2020, 16:16:45 »

I don't mind the idea of behind closed doors under the circumstances.

well, if it's that or void anyway
Yep I agree.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: Friday, April 10, 2020, 00:02:34 »

BCD is really the only way to complete the season via matches actually being played. Those saying wait until crowds can come back and watch...that simply won't happen (or shouldn't) for a good while yet. That "good while" will be too long for the leagues to wait.

BCD can be achieved as long as all involved in said fixtures are Covid-19 free. I would assume if it is imperative to complete the season, the PFA, FA, PL & FL will all provide the funds from their own pots to test all 92 squads and management.

Other sports could do this too. Motorsport could do this much more easily and the same with a lot of Tennis matches too. Since both sports naturally already practice "social distancing". The only element you are taking out is the "live" spectator. In the current environment, I'm sure we could all cope with watching our favourite sports at home (isn't that pretty much Sky Sports et al whole remit anyway - armchair support).

If some sports really want to engage the virtual experience, they could surely tap up a sponsor or two and project "fans" onto the seats and play audio of the crowd when an event happens. If EA Sports can create an audio visual environment for gamers then I'm pretty sure it can be done (if we want to explore that side further). They could do a sponsorship deal with the FL and provide a "matchday" experience.

None of it is going to feel like it normally would at the moment but we don't live in normal times. I'd happily pay to watch a BCD stream and if it had virtual fans in the stadium (just so we feel good about it), with reactions at key points then fair enough. However, I don't think any of the leagues priority is the fans at this moment in time. They are focussing purely on how to conclude the season. We aren't top of the tree.
« Last Edit: Friday, April 10, 2020, 00:05:50 by bamboonoshop » Logged

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: