Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Seasons End Predictions  (Read 38940 times)
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 14:38:26 »

Also if they nullify it league 1 will only have 23 teams again next season, or will Bury suddenly be allowed back in or will Notts County get their relegation from last season undone? That would create a minefield in itself. PPG or concluding the season are actually the least messy options.
Flashheart

« Reply #121 on: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 14:41:38 »

I think PPG will have the fewest mines. Those being the handful of clubs that will kick-off.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 15:07:35 »

Atlanta Utd just called me to check I was OK and not missing the games too much - of course, they were really calling to see if they could sell some tickets for later in the season assuming it starts back-up as they were only a couple of games in here.  Still, good idea and a pretty good approach they took on the call, not at all pushy.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 15:17:15 »

I’m happy to put my mind at rest that if PPG is, indeed, the method to be used to finalise league positions, those yellow fuckers who currently sit 3rd would be overtaken by Wycombe as they are 1 point behind but have a game in hand.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 16:12:52 »

Out of the 92 teams I'd say 20 at most would have a genuine grievance to differing extents.

Could easily be 31 clubs making a case if voided and annulled.

If the season can't be completed at some point my suggestion;

PPG.

Those teams in Promotion POs play their matches BCD and also teams in Relegation positions play BCD Relegation POs too.

Winners from both sets then play each other (Prem R PO winner v Champ P PO winner, Champ R PO winner v L1 PO winner...and so on.) to determine the last auto and relegation slots. That way it gives a chance for any of those teams (who may potentially protest about falling into the relegation/PO spots due to PPG alone), to play for their place to remain or go up.

Where three teams go down the team in the highest position gets a bye and the bottom two play each other first.

It's not perfect and those who miss out on a PO spot via PPG would be the only ones making a fuss. It would be more damage limiting as only one team from each promoting division; so three clubs over Champ, L1 & L2 (or Bristol City, Sunderland (sweet justice), & Port Vale (as it stands, not sure what positions PPG would produce)).

Much better than all current automatic promotion placed clubs missing out... So voiding has a much bigger knock on and mess. Much easier to say compensate just three teams over the divisions, missing out on POs via PPG (if they make a claim); call it a form of "solidarity" payment.

Would the EFL (mostly) & EPL rather have three potential claims or 31 claims (7 auto, Liverpool, all PO spots and all relegation spots) to deal with? All of those would have a claim of being denied winning a title and going/staying up.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 16:14:18 »

I’m happy to put my mind at rest that if PPG is, indeed, the method to be used to finalise league positions, those yellow fuckers who currently sit 3rd would be overtaken by Wycombe as they are 1 point behind but have a game in hand.
Sweet Jesus, that would be beautiful. Pint
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 17:33:15 »

I see rugby are ending their season but honouring the results

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/52133983

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: Friday, April 3, 2020, 13:03:21 »

Out of those of us in the bottom 2 leagues, how many would not survive if football didn’t return at all this calendar year?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: Saturday, April 4, 2020, 15:09:48 »

Out of those of us in the bottom 2 leagues, how many would not survive if football didn’t return at all this calendar year?
Most, I'd guess. Without wage cuts, the situation could be as bad in the top 2 leagues as well. They are typically grossly overexposed on their income to wages ratio, many spending over 100% of income on wages alone. Burnely are one of the better run PL clubs and they have put out figures saying that if the season is not concluded it will cost them around £50m, they esitimate other clubs could be facing losses of twice that

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/apr/04/burnley-warn-of-50m-loss-due-to-suspension-of-english-football

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: Saturday, April 4, 2020, 15:53:17 »

Fuck!

Presume come June 30 a lot of clubs will shed a shitload of players - whether they’d want them to re-sign or not.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: Saturday, April 4, 2020, 18:46:19 »

Fuck!

Presume come June 30 a lot of clubs will shed a shitload of players - whether they’d want them to re-sign or not.
Quite possibly. Ironically, after the PL £125m aid package for Football League and National League clubs, well-run lower league clubs might end up coming out of this better than poorly run big clubs
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: Saturday, April 4, 2020, 19:44:10 »

Fuck!

If the season extends beyond 30 June then presumably UEFA will extend the transfer deadline until the season is concluded and existing contracts roll over for 2 or 3 months.

Feels like June is the month by which the season has to restart in either in full or behind closed doors. There has to be a cut off somewhere.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: Saturday, April 4, 2020, 19:49:58 »

Heres' my 20 second thought process.

End the season as is. Records stay but no promotion or relegation

When we start up. Top team starts +8 points, 2nd +7 etc

Rest start on 0

Contracts roll until we start with 3 month window/thought process.

We melt the Kerry statue and build one for Doyle and Benda

Job done.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: Saturday, April 4, 2020, 20:44:46 »

er nope
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: Saturday, April 4, 2020, 20:47:08 »

I got there on edit attempt number 4