Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Seasons End Predictions  (Read 39512 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 13:09:55 »

Seems the logical thing to do. This present season needs finalising ASAP so that the new season, whenever that is, will be sorted and clubs know which league they’ll be in and can plan accordingly.

I’m hoping and praying football returns in its usual format some time this year.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 13:10:51 »

Why would the PL veto that? Subsequent seasons would see additional clubs relegated to return to a 20 team league.

Surely it’s the least they can do as no actual cash help is likely to be forthcoming.
Why shouldn’t clubs go down based on the PPG scenario? 80% of the season is a pretty fair reflection so if you are in the relegation zone down you go. Under these proposals Bolton would stay up and effectively have avoided any punishment which would be a complete farce as them and Southend are almost 20 points adrift. Maidenhead have only suggested this because they are in the relegation zone themselves and would be relegated based on PPG.
I don’t see any reason why we should have inflated league sizes next season, I’d bet around 90% of the teams that would be relegated now based on PPG would actually go down even if the season finished.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 13:13:39 »

Well said, Mo.

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 13:17:05 »

Why shouldn’t clubs go down based on the PPG scenario? 80% of the season is a pretty fair reflection so if you are in the relegation zone down you go. Under these proposals Bolton would stay up and effectively have avoided any punishment which would be a complete farce as them and Southend are almost 20 points adrift. Maidenhead have only suggested this because they are in the relegation zone themselves and would be relegated based on PPG.
I don’t see any reason why we should have inflated league sizes next season, I’d bet around 90% of the teams that would be relegated now based on PPG would actually go down even if the season finished.
Spot on
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #109 on: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 13:19:36 »

Spot on
Agreed.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 13:21:11 »

If we scrap the play-off promotion places so that 1 less team is relegated I’d bet that the number would be close to 100% but I’m only saying that as our Yellow friends would go up otherwise.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 13:33:20 »

As far as I can tell all the teams had played the same number of games in the Belgian top league, so not so much of a problem with calling it quits.

Would using PPG here get around the games in hand issue without the clubs who have played more games getting upset?

Could we end up having to defend our title next season.  Hmmm

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Peter Venkman

« Reply #112 on: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 13:38:00 »

As far as I can tell all the teams had played the same number of games in the Belgian top league, so not so much of a problem with calling it quits.

Would using PPG here get around the games in hand issue without the clubs who have played more games getting upset?

Could we end up having to defend our title next season.  Hmmm
If PPG is in play then we would go up as champions with Crewe in 2nd place. Cheltenham the only other affected by games played in the play off places and would stay in the position where they are now, Stevenage would still be relegated.
« Last Edit: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 13:40:24 by Peter Venkman » Logged

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 14:04:39 »

Exeter would dip out.
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 14:07:57 »

Expanding the PL to 23 teams probably wouldn’t work as with Champions and Europa Leagues, plus international breaks (these will be needed to sort Euro play offs and possibly 2022 World Cup qualifiers) and the need to finish for the European Championships means there are probably not sufficient available dates to fit in 44 games even playing twice a week.
What is clear is that if we finish 20/21  by playing all games (and they may need to ditch the playoffs to do that in a reasonable time frame), and have a break to facilitate the equivalent of a transfer window (replacing out of contract players and expired loans) there is unlikely to be time to play next season on the basis of having 46 games plus all the various cup competitions too. Logically the cups would be first to go (I think the boycott trophy will go, and the League cup downgraded at best, with replays being scrapped in the FA cup).
Talk of playing more than twice a week is fanciful (other than on a short term scenario to complete this season’s remaining games)  financial constraints will probably mean smaller squads next year, so the increased injury risk of playing too often is not really sustainable IMO.

PPG is a logical way to go if they want just to get on with next year, and it could be made slightly more sophisticated by taking account of home and away PPG (for teams whose remaining games are not evenly split).

I don’t follow the argument I read somewhere (may not have been on here) that finishing now will enable 20/21 season ticket sales to go ahead - if I hadn’t already bought mine under the early bird discount before the crisis began I would probably hold off until I knew what was going to happen, and of course if people are not being paid they won’t be able to commit anyway.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #115 on: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 14:14:26 »

Exeter would dip out.
Exeter would go down 1 place and Cheltenham up 1 but if we ignore the play offs, which would probably have to be the case then neither would go up.

If they promote 4th place team instead of having the play off them Cheltenham would indeed go up instead of Exeter.

theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 14:25:39 »

Could we end up having to defend our title next season.  Hmmm
I would say that you'd only get the teams in and around the play-offs and the maybe 4 or 5 teams that are currently in the relegation zone but have a chance of surviving objecting. So if it went to a league wide vote it would get through as the teams it doesn't impact in mid-table would be happy as well as it provides a conclusion and allows them to plan for the future.
Out of the 92 teams I'd say 20 at most would have a genuine grievance to differing extents.

Concluding the season or some form of PPG/current positions should be the only options on the table, nullifying the season shouldn't be an option due to how far through the season we are, expenditure incurred by clubs, fans etc. The only reason nullifying has even been discussed is because people think it would be funny as Liverpool are top of the PL. I dislike them as much as anyone else but a petty vendetta shouldn't be influencing the outcome of an 80% complete season.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 14:28:55 »

Given that money will talk, and the top leagues will have to schedule around the European Champions League and Championships being moved to summer 2021.  That pretty much kills off this season I think, so it will simply be how they do that - void or PPG.  I'd clearly prefer the latter as a Swindon fan, but is also seems the best of a bad set of possibilities.  At least the 3/4 of a season meant something and you avoid a lot of fans pressuring clubs for refunds etc.  You will no doubt get a legal challenge, but I doubt there is much that can be done in reality as no rule exists for dealing with a Pandemic, it will probably be down to the Administrator of the game to determine the best course of action.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 14:31:20 »

If PPG is in play then we would go up as champions with Crewe in 2nd place. Cheltenham the only other affected by games played in the play off places and would stay in the position where they are now, Stevenage would still be relegated.
Couldn't think of a better way of doing it !!!.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #119 on: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 14:31:46 »

Couldn't think of a better way of doing it !!!.
Sounds the best all round for me too!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: