Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 ... 69   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: So, what are you doing?  (Read 181285 times)
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 18:12:50 »

Don't forget to clap, cry, be thankful, bang a saucepan at 8pm for our NHS and all keyworkers.

Instead of banging a saucepan, would it not be more productive simply to stop voting in Tory governments?  It's happened 4 times on the bounce now.  And the result has been that frontline NHS staff are having to put themselves at risk because the government couldn't be bothered to prepare for a pandemic.  Heathcare staff in Germany don't seem to have the same problem.  Watching Johnson 'clap the NHS' outside Downing Street last Thursday turned my stomach, as does the 'NHS' badge that Hancock wears on his lapel.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 18:16:12 »

I'll be honest, I didn't like the clapping last week. It feels a bit like "raising awareness" for charidee. It's nice to show appreciation, but like you say, actually funding the poor fuckers properly would be a million times more useful. That said, if one person who its for appreciates it then maybe it's worthwhile.

Either way, I'll probably do it (quietly, I'm still British) this week. But I'll also give as much money as I can to causes that need at it this time, especially as my outgoings are pretty low right now as I can't go to the pub. Obviously not everyone can, but plenty could and digging into your pockets would be the most useful thing you could do with your hands this evening (and wash them, perhaps)
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 19:31:00 »

Instead of banging a saucepan, would it not be more productive simply to stop voting in Tory governments?  It's happened 4 times on the bounce now.  And the result has been that frontline NHS staff are having to put themselves at risk because the government couldn't be bothered to prepare for a pandemic.  Heathcare staff in Germany don't seem to have the same problem.  Watching Johnson 'clap the NHS' outside Downing Street last Thursday turned my stomach, as does the 'NHS' badge that Hancock wears on his lapel.

I didn't fucking vote for a Tory government myself. I'm pretty certain you are intelligent enough to separate the two things. Showing visual public support and being pissed off at our government are separate. Ffs. I'm increasingly seeing people trying to make the "clap for key workers" a political thing. Expected better from yourself tbh.

I can't stop Johnson/Hancock/Rees-Mogg/Gove from being complete cunts but I can understand that banging a saucepan or clapping can be separated from politics when it's a show of fucking support. You can do what you want - it doesn't have to be a clap, it can be a quiet moment alone. Just don't put a political slant on it.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #288 on: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 19:47:57 »

Calm down.  It wasn't a pop at you.  Just exasperated that we've arrived at a point where millions will stand on their doorsteps every week to show support for the NHS while society as a whole repeatedly votes in political leaders with a track record of running the service down.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 20:27:00 »

Still eating the week end curry.... which in all fairness is getting better each day.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 20:31:38 »

Why does all this need to be political.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 20:40:45 »

Fuck me Ardiles,  do you really think Corbyn would have done a better job ?, I shudder to think where we would be with that  prick at the helm. Anyway, couldn't care less about the politics at the moment,  just wish everyone well,  keep safe,  going to put my saucepan back now,  good turnout in our street,  in fact better than last week ......... it's catching on !!!.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 20:47:27 »

NHS staff going in to work without the correct protective equipment or access to testing facilities could not be any more political.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 20:50:35 »

Fuck me Ardiles,  do you really think Corbyn would have done a better job ?

Yes, I do.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 20:54:10 »

Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 20:56:51 »

It doesn’t matter whether another politician would have done better, the fact is that the government have fucked up big time

Whether they get held to account by an inquiry or the next election is by the by - it doesn’t change the reality that we are behind the game because of their inaction
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 21:05:03 »

I'm happy to be in a minority here.  Very happy.  Showing support visibly & audibly for the NHS & its staff is laudable...but only if you're also then prepared to make it known that the politicians that have failed those staff - and they have - need to up their game.  Otherwise, your support is noisy, but pointless.  The penny has even dropped with the right wing press - that the political leadership in this country is well behind where they should be and where they need to be.  Coronavirus was not an avoidable catastrophe, but the government's response to it most certainly was.
« Last Edit: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 21:06:38 by Ardiles » Logged
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #297 on: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 21:11:08 »

Still eating the week end curry.... which in all fairness is getting better each day.

Same, just finished tuesdays. Marinating by the day
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: Thursday, April 2, 2020, 21:47:41 »

Calm down.  It wasn't a pop at you.  Just exasperated that we've arrived at a point where millions will stand on their doorsteps every week to show support for the NHS while society as a whole repeatedly votes in political leaders with a track record of running the service down.

Indeed. Yet my point still stands that these two things can be separate. We are all aware that putting anything of responsibility in the UK electorate's hands is quite anything but sensible. Best to keep it simple. It's not like we're asking the public to decide on our trade and economic future (a la Leave/Remain), just to clap, acknowledge or bang whatever.

I'd be one of the first to hold government to account for their misgivings. I would do the same if it was a Labour, Lib. Dem. or Green government. I don't necessarily agree with you that it would be better under any other government but dick measuring really isn't the time or place right now. Only hindsight can truly give us that information as it emerges.

Should they? Would they? Could they? Etc, etc. Yes, these are all things that should be talked about and enquired with when the time is right. But to not be able separate this and allow it to be standalone is seemingly a typically British thing; to associate everything with politics.

I can't wait to see the day when PMQs only major issues of concern are why Stoke Newington doesn't have a composting service but Enfield does.

#BangMyDrum Soapy Tit Wank

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #299 on: Friday, April 3, 2020, 07:29:52 »

Same, just finished tuesdays. Marinating by the day

Want to come round tonight and help me fucking finish it? I have Stella in the fridge (and beer in the garage boom boom) otherwise I’ll end up looking like Ghandi by Sunday.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 ... 69   Go Up
Print
Jump to: