Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 ... 69   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: So, what are you doing?  (Read 185296 times)
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #840 on: Monday, May 11, 2020, 23:25:32 »

I read a preview of the Euro 96 re-runs and had meant to tune in, will try and watch some of the others.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/may/10/remembering-euro-96-gazzas-goal-three-lions-and-penalties-england

I was 11 and remember watching it all. Had forgotten things like Shearer going in to the tournament with 5 England goals in total, his last goal for England prior to the Euros being 12 games and nearly 2 years prior. Or that we weren't very good against Scotland, were drawing at half time, and they had a penalty saved not long before Gazza did his thing.

Also, before I saw the team picture for the Switzerland game, if you tried to convince me that Gazza and Gary Neville had played in the same England team I would have taken some convincing. For some reason they weren't overlapping in my mind, two totally seprate generations.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #841 on: Tuesday, May 12, 2020, 03:45:29 »

Gazza tore Colin Henry a new one that day. Probably one of the best centre backs in top tier footy of that era. Hadn't he not long won the Prem with Blackburn (and Shearer) or was that the year before?

Anyhoo, yes Shearer International form was shite but he had been scoring for fun in the top flight and Sheringham was also on form. It turned out to be a cracking combination for Euro96.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Richie Wellen-Dowd

« Reply #842 on: Tuesday, May 12, 2020, 04:50:34 »

Or that we weren't very good against Scotland, were drawing at half time, and they had a penalty saved not long before Gazza did his thing.

Uri Gellar claimed he made the ball move with his mind just before McAllister hit it(it did move.)  Soapy Tit Wank

Gazza tore Colin Henry a new one that day. Probably one of the best centre backs in top tier footy of that era. Hadn't he not long won the Prem with Blackburn (and Shearer) or was that the year before?

94/95 they won the league, they kind of imploded the next year, Batty and Le Saux fighting on the pitch etc. Shearer played and scored against us in the league Cup in 95/96.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #843 on: Tuesday, May 12, 2020, 08:51:52 »

I was lucky enough to go to England v Scotland at Euro 96. Was only 7 at the time but I'll never forget it, seeing that goal right in front of me... Magical!
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #844 on: Tuesday, May 12, 2020, 08:53:20 »

I read a preview of the Euro 96 re-runs and had meant to tune in, will try and watch some of the others.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/may/10/remembering-euro-96-gazzas-goal-three-lions-and-penalties-england

I was 11 and remember watching it all. Had forgotten things like Shearer going in to the tournament with 5 England goals in total, his last goal for England prior to the Euros being 12 games and nearly 2 years prior. Or that we weren't very good against Scotland, were drawing at half time, and they had a penalty saved not long before Gazza did his thing.

Also, before I saw the team picture for the Switzerland game, if you tried to convince me that Gazza and Gary Neville had played in the same England team I would have taken some convincing. For some reason they weren't overlapping in my mind, two totally seprate generations.

I was actually at the game with a load of other Town fans.  One of our group somehow got hold of tickets via Wise Bakery.  Believe it or not they were £35 including the coach!   Sat a few rows behind us were a load of "England Legends" who had been involved in a pre-match game.  Frank Lampard Snr (with a very young Frank Lampard Jnr) were part of the group.  Not that it's important but I remember they were the only two who didn't sing the national anthem.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #845 on: Tuesday, May 12, 2020, 09:13:34 »

I was lucky enough to go to England v Scotland at Euro 96. Was only 7 at the time but I'll never forget it, seeing that goal right in front of me... Magical!
I stewarded that game, what an amazing game and day, the Jocks were absolute wankers though and we were spat at and abused all game by the "Amazing Tartan Army" most of who had come just for a beer and to create as much havoc as they could.

The match itself was fantastic though and the Seaman penalty save was the real turning point.

As for Hendry, he was one of the best centre backs at the time in the air, on the ground though he was an absolute donkey and anyone with a bit of skill and pace could beat him. Calderwood didnt have a great game that day, they even had 2 Andy Gorams in goal Cheesy

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #846 on: Tuesday, May 12, 2020, 11:29:42 »

I stewarded that game, what an amazing game and day, the Jocks were absolute wankers though and we were spat at and abused all game by the "Amazing Tartan Army" most of who had come just for a beer and to create as much havoc as they could.

The match itself was fantastic though and the Seaman penalty save was the real turning point.

As for Hendry, he was one of the best centre backs at the time in the air, on the ground though he was an absolute donkey and anyone with a bit of skill and pace could beat him. Calderwood didnt have a great game that day, they even had 2 Andy Gorams in goal Cheesy

The scottish fans have always been utter pricks at wembley. I went to the last home international. They outnumbered England fans by about 5-1 and most of them were tooled up with something. I even got a crack on the head from a broom handle ffs.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #847 on: Tuesday, May 12, 2020, 11:33:16 »

The scottish fans have always been utter pricks at wembley. I went to the last home international. They outnumbered England fans by about 5-1 and most of them were tooled up with something. I even got a crack on the head from a broom handle ffs.
I have always found it amusing that the Scots hate the English far more than it is reciprocated.

I expect most of them were living in England expats anyway, horrible set of fans especially when they play England at Wembley.

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #848 on: Tuesday, May 12, 2020, 11:35:22 »

Very good memories of Euro 96, was living in Newcastle at the time and whilst didn't get to any games did get to see Hermans Hermits live in the fan village place!

On the day we beat Holland I was getting rat arsed on Tynemouth Beach, got my finals reswults that evening and passed!
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #849 on: Tuesday, May 12, 2020, 11:41:08 »

I have always found it amusing that the Scots hate the English far more than it is reciprocated.

Not sure that strictly the case, I have a number of English acquaintances who have a real problem with the Scots (Andy Murray and Sturgeon seem to set them off particularly), seems to be a correlation with them having the traditional English are best mentality and certain right wing tendencies.

Think it depends where you go in Scotland, never really had any problems with Scots, but I suppose if you travel following the football it might be much like the English supporters who go abroad and seem unable to avoid getting into fights. I have a Scottish mate who used to go to most Rangers home games and also follow Scotland away a lot, however, he has stopped it now as he can't be arsed with the pricks and all the sectarian nonsense.

One thing I will say for Scots is living up here we get a lot of them on the WCML trains and they without fail never avoid the stereotype of being invariably pissed (or on the way to being) whilst on public transport.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #850 on: Tuesday, May 12, 2020, 11:48:39 »

Not sure that strictly the case, I have a number of English acquaintances who have a real problem with the Scots (Andy Murray and Sturgeon seem to set them off particularly), seems to be a correlation with them having the traditional English are best mentality and certain right wing tendencies.

Think it depends where you go in Scotland, never really had any problems with Scots, but I suppose if you travel following the football it might be much like the English supporters who go abroad and seem unable to avoid getting into fights. I have a Scottish mate who used to go to most Rangers home games and also follow Scotland away a lot, however, he has stopped it now as he can't be arsed with the pricks and all the sectarian nonsense.

One thing I will say for Scots is living up here we get a lot of them on the WCML trains and they without fail never avoid the stereotype of being invariably pissed (or on the way to being) whilst on public transport.
My mother in law lived in Edinburgh for 15 year before her death, we would spend about 4 weeks a year with her up there and my best mate lives in Alyth between Perth and Dundee, who I visit twice a year and whenever they hear an English accent there is a sigh in their voice.

My mate works in a solicitors in Dundee and he will openly say that he has been passed over for promotion purely because he is English, he has no hatred of them and is not openly displaying a dislike for them but he does feel if you are English and live in Scotland the locals do like to make it harder for you than their own.

I can confirm that there is even more of a drinking culture in Scotland despite the cost of alcohol and I have never been there without seeing an angry drunk somewhere in the day somewhere!

I have to admit that certainly down in Somerset/Wiltshire there is very little hatred of the Scots, could be because we are so far away but I have never really seen or heard it, unlike when I go up there with the roles reversed.

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #851 on: Tuesday, May 12, 2020, 12:33:53 »

I'd imagine being a country that was attacked for centuries would build up some sort on in-balance in the relationship.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #852 on: Tuesday, May 12, 2020, 12:40:12 »

People have got to be angry about something I guess, if the previous several hundred years is it then crack on Smiley
I'm 41% Scots/Irish and 59% English/Welsh. Nearly evenly balanced  Grin

I'm always brought back to this clip.....

« Last Edit: Tuesday, May 12, 2020, 12:49:39 by 4D » Logged
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #853 on: Tuesday, May 12, 2020, 12:51:51 »

People have got to be angry about something I guess, if the previous several hundred years is it then crack on Smiley
I'm 41% Scots/Irish and 59% English/Welsh. Nearly evenly balanced  Grin

I'm always brought back to this clip.....

Fucking brilliant,  pissed myself watching that,  silly thing is I think we can all relate to it !!.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #854 on: Tuesday, May 12, 2020, 13:02:09 »

Sturgeon is fine, she is Scottish and does what she thinks  best for Scotland. I'm all for that. Murray on the other hand is a piece of shit. British when it suits him, and anti English pro Scottish when it  also suits him. 
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 ... 69   Go Up
Print
Jump to: