Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Your Favourite Season, Match, Manager & Player  (Read 15421 times)
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Monday, March 23, 2020, 13:53:15 »

Cheers PV, not quite how i remembered the temporary stand but it was 34 years ago!

I sat in the main stand in November 84 watching a very poor Swindon team lose 4-0, it can't have been long after that when it burnt down.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Monday, March 23, 2020, 20:54:23 »

was at this one, someone stabbed before the game, afterwards it kicked off, IIRC we won 1.0

Knives were visibly on display after the game waiting to get home.

TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Monday, March 23, 2020, 21:01:09 »

Town fans were stabbed in games vs Northampton on at least 3 occassions in the 80s, also they bottled my old mate Sid Sellars before the Kettering away cup game.

They used to be some nasty fuckers back then. Used to be a shit ground too, open to the elements and with the cricket pitch down the side, we always took a fair few there.

I remember Charlie Henrys goal in that game, we had well over 2,000 fans there for that game almost half the crowd, great but nasty atmosphere in and around the ground.

See Sid every now and again.
Still has that scar from the Pool Cue at Kettering. Always remember a red just missing my head outside their social club.
To think one of my best Mates is now a Cobblers fan going to every home and away game. Been going for years and through that era.

TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Monday, March 23, 2020, 21:04:52 »

Anyone on this forum go to the Boreham Wood away FA Cup game?
That was hell on. Particularly scary on the train station after the game.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #64 on: Tuesday, March 24, 2020, 09:26:29 »

See Sid every now and again.
Still has that scar from the Pool Cue at Kettering. Always remember a red just missing my head outside their social club.
To think one of my best Mates is now a Cobblers fan going to every home and away game. Been going for years and through that era.
I was working at the time with Sid at BREL as an apprentice, he didn't go to many Town games back then preferring Pompey, we travelled up with him and a load of other mates and I was stood at the other end of the bar/clubhouse/whatever it was when the fight broke out. Yes that scar is still with him, spoke to him a couple of weeks ago only to find out 2 of the lads we went with that day had recently died. Interesting times as a Town fan back then.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday, March 24, 2020, 10:39:56 »

I was in that sports bar. Someone lumped a pint mug at me, missed, glanced off another Town fan and got embedded in the dart board!

Saying that, I also remember at home against the Cobblers when about 40 of them were outside the CGH really early when hardly anyone was in. The CGH had a real small fella as doorman who just stood by the door barring them coming in. Me and a mate also went outside to stand with him when one of the pool players in the CGH charged the lot of them with his cue.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday, March 24, 2020, 11:20:58 »

All a bit samey from me, I'm afraid.

Season
1992/93

Match
Swindon 4-3 Leicester, 1993 Play Off Final.  I've tried hard to think of something less obvious, but nothing comes close to this.

Manager
Glenn Hoddle.  Loved his football philosophy.  Getting a team to play that way in the 2nd tier was a massive achievement.

Player
John Moncur.  He could make time stand still when he was on the ball.  My favourite play-maker.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Tuesday, March 24, 2020, 20:56:29 »

I was working at the time with Sid at BREL as an apprentice, he didn't go to many Town games back then preferring Pompey, we travelled up with him and a load of other mates and I was stood at the other end of the bar/clubhouse/whatever it was when the fight broke out. Yes that scar is still with him, spoke to him a couple of weeks ago only to find out 2 of the lads we went with that day had recently died. Interesting times as a Town fan back then.

I remember him going to Pompey for a while.
I come from a Pompey family and looking back could have turned blue in the 70’s but turned red and never looked back. Remember the day we signed Kamara as was down in Pompey at the time.
That 77’ debut, 3-1 the diving header and the run to the TE was a significant moment in Supporting the lads. The diving header captured superbly in the Football Pink.
The train journey home with the 6:57 was scary.
BoA Vagabond

Tufty club

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Tuesday, March 24, 2020, 22:07:49 »

I come from a Pompey family and looking back could have turned blue in the 70’s but turned red and never looked back. Remember the day we signed Kamara as was down in Pompey at the time.
That 77’ debut, 3-1 the diving header and the run to the TE was a significant moment in Supporting the lads. The diving header captured superbly in the Football Pink.

We used to play Pompey a lot around tben it seemed. Used to sit in block B of the old South Stand. From the top of the rickety steps you could see the Pompey lads hiding their scarves as they made their way to The Town End.

Parasitic freeloading season ticket holder scum
Peter Venkman

« Reply #69 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2020, 08:32:37 »

Absolutely all of that.

Here is the header.

TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2020, 17:39:45 »

Absolutely all of that.

Here is the header.

A picture of fucking beauty.
I have that picture saved from the vaults of time.

He was receiving death threats right up until kick off.
The run to the TE to acclaim his new home and fanbase, a legend was born.
Mind you I still get down to Pompey and I would be a liar to say that I didn’t have Pompey in my blood. My youngest whilst supports and follows Swindon has a soft spot for them and has to be reminded he is Swindon not “Peortsmouth” (as known).
As a City it’s had some much needed investment. Still have family and Nan lived in one of the roughest parts, Paulsgrove. In the 70’s and 80’s it was one of the deprived and roughest City’s in the Country.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #71 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2020, 17:52:08 »

A picture of fucking beauty.
I have that picture saved from the vaults of time.

He was receiving death threats right up until kick off.
The run to the TE to acclaim his new home and fanbase, a legend was born.
Mind you I still get down to Pompey and I would be a liar to say that I didn’t have Pompey in my blood. My youngest whilst supports and follows Swindon has a soft spot for them and has to be reminded he is Swindon not “Peortsmouth” (as known).
As a City it’s had some much needed investment. Still have family and Nan lived in one of the roughest parts, Paulsgrove. In the 70’s and 80’s it was one of the deprived and roughest City’s in the Country.
Ah yes the old "Peeeortssssmafff" TBH I have a few close mates that follow them, more so back in the 80s and 90s and in the main they are a fair bunch of lads.

I went to a match there many years ago with my Pompey mate, it was Pompey v Newcastle in 84.

Keegan was unplayable that day he got 2 and Beardsley got 2 as well. The Newcastle line up included Roeder, McReery, McDermott and Waddle as well. What a line up. Pompey had Mark Hateley up front.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: