Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Your Favourite Season, Match, Manager & Player  (Read 15432 times)
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Friday, March 20, 2020, 15:30:40 »

- Season:    89-90, watching the Town (momentarily) reach the promised land by outclassing teams they had merely been outrunning

- Match:      the 1969 LCF

- Manager:  Paolo, don't expect ever again to see anyone in the dugout (or stands) or post match like him

- Player:      the Don, two footed, deceptively very quick, an unselfish creator and clinical assassin; matchless humility.
ahounsell

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Friday, March 20, 2020, 16:32:46 »

Great topic! My picks...

- Season:    92-93, some great football and results to back it up, and ultimately put right the injustice of 1990.

- Match:      Blackburn home play-off in 1990. The best atmosphere I can remember at the County Ground and knowing I'd get to see my team at Wembley for the first time at the final whistle. (People take Wembley trips for granted these days but back in the 80s/90s it seemed a really big deal to see your team play there)

- Manager:  Macari. Just compare the team he inherited to the one he left behind. Do that for all other managers and it's not even close

- Player:      Hoddle. There's a tendency to disregard Hoddle the player in these type of discussions because a player-manager feels like a different category, but Hoddle is probably in the top 5 most gifted English players of all time. Even though he was a little past his best by 92 he was still world class.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Friday, March 20, 2020, 16:37:09 »

season:  2011-2012 - forget the man. this bat shit crazy season was a blast for most of us. Some utterly brilliant memories and success. And we scored at New Wembley Wink

match: po semi v Charlton. I missed the 93 po final, so the utter joy of getting to Wembley again was of the scale. shame about what happened next

manager: controversial, but I'm going for Kingy. Favourite not best mind. kept us going under some really dark days and without a pot to piss in. Shame it went wrong when the Cureton Thorpe gamble failed.  I've not gone for Hoodle, Ossie or Lou because I only saw part seasons under them.

player: shearer, shearer. I could name  about 10 though, and #1 would change on a daily basis.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Friday, March 20, 2020, 18:22:44 »

Season. The PO win one with Sunderland. That season had everything

Match. 3 really V Gillingham in the PO final. Probably the best atmosphere I've ever been in at Palace

Manager Macari. He made us invincible after us being pretty shit for most of my to then supporting Life.

Player. I'm going with Jimmy Quinn. For nothing else bar the time we played at Millwall and I think his dad had died in the week before and he scored 2 and played like a demon that day.
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Friday, March 20, 2020, 18:34:11 »

Season - Maybe the more youthful snd at their peak 1989/90 side over the mostly the same players but by then ageing 1992/93 side. Ticker tape and Stigger's goal at Blackburn. What was Ossie's phrase 'Play, Play, Play'.

Game - Birmingham 6-4 away. The way Hoddle stepped up into midfield and made that comeback.

Manager - Lou Macari for where we started and the team he left for Ossie to take on to the next level.

Player - Early on loved Charlie Henry and that goal against Gillingham still gives me goosebumps.

Maybe Chalky just shades it for 8 years of goals and shithousery before the word was invented and the penalty he won against Leicester. At late sub cameo at Man U away summed him up.
BoA Vagabond

Tufty club

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Friday, March 20, 2020, 21:14:40 »

Season 1985/86. Glorious after a slow start. Highlights for me include Exeter away 3  -0 with Ken Allen asking for gum behind the goal whilst the game was in play. Also Chester which was just brilliant on every level.
Game could be many of those already mentioned such as Brum away or QPR with Digby sent off. However, mine is Southend home 6th April 1985 attended by 2695. Travelled up from Devon that morning, stood in the Town End and will never forget it. Most intense atmosphere ever despite the low numbers. Think about it often. That set up the seasons that came and proved that town fans still cared. Surprised that Lou left out of his book us blocking his car after. Emotional stuff!
Manager Lou Macari and like the look of how Wellens has started.
Lots of great players and could choose any of the ones mentioned. Liked Colin Gordon scoring and was a fan of Ray McHale and Steve Aizlewood. John Trollope and Dave Moss deserve a mention and SSP. Gonna go for Mickey Hazard cos my Dad rated him and still mentions him often when we discuss the Town every week.
Thanks for this thread. Really enjoyed reminiscing.

Parasitic freeloading season ticket holder scum
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Friday, March 20, 2020, 22:11:14 »

Yeah loved all those players. Mchale is very close to being my fav ever. Bristling skillful mincing machine
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Friday, March 20, 2020, 22:12:24 »

And not the hotpants sort of mincing i might add
kirky69

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Friday, March 20, 2020, 23:28:36 »

Season
79/80 as a young teenager to be a Town fan facing and beating (most) teams from the top division that we played in Stoke, Spurs, Arsenal, Wolves, getting to the league Cup semis and being one foul away from the final and getting to the 4th round of the FA cup.
Beating Bury 8-0 at home and putting 6 past Rotherham too, an amazing season and for me even more memorable than the Ossie and Hoddle play off seasons. Also having 2 total sell out crowds of 26,000 (even though there were more there) and 22,000 for the Arsenal game. Also playing in front of 2 crowds of around 40,000 in away games.

Match
Arsenal at Home in the above season beating them AET 4-3 with them having an almost entire international team that night.

Manager
Lou Macari, transformed Town from a poor Div 4 side that finished in 17th place in Div 4 to the play offs in the old Div 2 (now the Championship) in 5 years.

Player
So many good players over the years so many to choose from, easier to pick a whole team than a single player.
If I had to pick one it would probably be Chris Kamara, a man who gave everything for Town but had the skills to play in the top division too.

Was going to post exactly the same answers, with similar reasons.  PV - do you happen to be my twin!!
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Friday, March 20, 2020, 23:36:23 »

Balls I'd forgotten about Wolves away. Still think Gills at palace tops it, probably because we won really. Wonder what the crowd really was at wolves that night. Absolutely rammed.

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Friday, March 20, 2020, 23:47:32 »

ooh good thread. Like it.

Season. 89/90 best town side I've seen.

Match. Leeds at home that season was special. Stoke away to get in the play offs takes it though. Unbelievable atmosphere that day.

Manager. Ossie. Took us to the promised land and completely changed the way we played.

Player. Calderwood. At the time I liked Duncan shearer more but in hindsight what Calderwood did here was incredible.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Friday, March 20, 2020, 23:50:51 »

Calderwood and Taylor, awesome centre back pairing.
woolster

« Reply #27 on: Friday, March 20, 2020, 23:51:36 »

ooh good thread. Like it.

Season. 89/90 best town side I've seen.

Match. Leeds at home that season was special. Stoke away to get in the play offs takes it though. Unbelievable atmosphere that day.

Manager. Ossie. Took us to the promised land and completely changed the way we played.

Player. Calderwood. At the time I liked Duncan shearer more but in hindsight what Calderwood did here was incredible.
was the Stoke game 1.1 when they invaded the pitch, we was at that one
woolster

« Reply #28 on: Friday, March 20, 2020, 23:57:01 »

season 92/93
match Bristol away 1987, stopped them getting in the play offs, and it KICKED OFF big time
manager Macari
1987-05-09 Bristol City vs Swindon Town via @YouTube
« Last Edit: Saturday, March 21, 2020, 00:00:03 by woolster » Logged
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Friday, March 20, 2020, 23:59:25 »

season 92/93
match Bristol away 1987, stopped them getting in the play offs, and it KICKED OFF big time
manager Macari

They missed that penalty and the East end emptied.  My mate went and parked his car the other side of Ashton Park, the coppers suggested it wasn't a good time to get through the park  Smiley
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: