Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Your Favourite Season, Match, Manager & Player  (Read 15420 times)
Boeta

Ignore
« on: Friday, March 20, 2020, 13:11:56 »

Let’s get a bit of football chat going again..

What/who has been your favourite STFC ... and why:

- Season
- Match
- Manager
- Player
Panda Paws

« Reply #1 on: Friday, March 20, 2020, 13:18:00 »

2009/10
My last year at uni, without a real care in the world. No wife or proper job, coasting towards a decent degree and more spare time than I knew what to do with. Thankfully, the Town played along and had their best season in a long time too.

Charlton (a) May 2010
The perfect away game - a mix of jeopardy, high-stakes, disaster and glory. Massive following, good people around me.

Manager
Wellens - didn't buy into the Di Canio hype mostly down the way he treated people. Wellens has got me back into club - been to more games this year than the last 5 combined.

Player
Childhood hero - Digby.

Special mentions to Austin, Parkin and Cox.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, March 20, 2020, 13:19:52 »

- Season = 92/93
- Match = 12.1.91 Bristol City 4-0 away  Smiley
- Manager = Hoddle
- Player = Shaun Taylor
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, March 20, 2020, 13:29:52 »

Season - 85-86 huge comeback from some absolute shite seasons - much like now. It’d be easy to say 68-69 but I’d only been supporting STFC for a year or so, so it seemed fairly normal to a young lad!

Match - got to be Birmingham 4 Swindon 6. My birthday, just about to leave at 4-1 down.

Manager - Macari. Revitalised the club - again like Wellens is doing now.

Player - easy one. The Don.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, March 20, 2020, 13:32:36 »

Player - Luc Nijholt

Nothing to see here
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #5 on: Friday, March 20, 2020, 13:44:27 »

Season
79/80 as a young teenager to be a Town fan facing and beating (most) teams from the top division that we played in Stoke, Spurs, Arsenal, Wolves, getting to the league Cup semis and being one foul away from the final and getting to the 4th round of the FA cup.
Beating Bury 8-0 at home and putting 6 past Rotherham too, an amazing season and for me even more memorable than the Ossie and Hoddle play off seasons. Also having 2 total sell out crowds of 26,000 (even though there were more there) and 22,000 for the Arsenal game. Also playing in front of 2 crowds of around 40,000 in away games.

Match
Arsenal at Home in the above season beating them AET 4-3 with them having an almost entire international team that night.

Manager
Lou Macari, transformed Town from a poor Div 4 side that finished in 17th place in Div 4 to the play offs in the old Div 2 (now the Championship) in 5 years.

Player
So many good players over the years so many to choose from, easier to pick a whole team than a single player.
If I had to pick one it would probably be Chris Kamara, a man who gave everything for Town but had the skills to play in the top division too.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Friday, March 20, 2020, 13:45:13 »

Season...95/96...4 defeats all season. Utter dominance.

Match... Newcastle 2-1 93/93... Best ever atmosphere at the CG for a league game.

Manager... Macari... what Audrey and JJ said and agree about Wellens.

Player... Duncan Shearer... Scored every type of goal imaginable... God knows what he would be worth in today's money.
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, March 20, 2020, 13:53:23 »

Season...89/90...for the football we played that season, i still think we played better football that season than any other i've seen before or since (let's just forget the ending shall we!)

Match...I've gone for a slightly different one, Swindon 5 Sunderland 3 in September 1991. We were 3-0 up at half time and played Sunderland off the pitch, it was our first meeting since the Wembley final of 1990

Manager...Ossie Ardiles...i remember watching Andy Rowland's testimonial against West Ham in August 1989 and even after 20 minutes you could see this was a totally different style of football to what we'd had previously (although i loved the Lou Macari years too and am not knocking it at all)

Player...So many to choose from, but i'm picking David Kerslake for his first stint at the club, a bargain for £110,000 from QPR. Honourable mentions go to Steve Foley, Steve White, Duncan Shearer, and Fraser Digby.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Friday, March 20, 2020, 14:00:16 »

Season - probably the Di Canio one as it was comparatively stress free.

Match - Leicester play off final, albeit not at the time!

Manager - Difficult one, Glenda but his departure left a bad taste, Gorman, just because he seemed a genuinely nice bloke. I would probably say Wellens or Wilson or Sturrock.

Player - Horlock (obviously) also had a soft spot for Ty Gooden. Cuervo and Digby.
Flashheart

« Reply #9 on: Friday, March 20, 2020, 14:07:39 »

- Season
The promotion season to the Prem under Hoddle probably.

- Match
The playoff final, under Hoddle. What a day out that was. I lost my voice for 2 days after that.

- Manager
I'm tempted to say Wellens for the way he bought the love back to the club.

- Player
Where to start? Digby? Taylor? Calderwood? Bodin? Moncur? Hazard? Summerbee? Horlock? Chalkie? Shearer? Fjortoft? I could go on, and it's impossible to choose one.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Friday, March 20, 2020, 14:10:45 »

Season - 92/93 I think, probably more than the 89/90 season because of what it meant.  Looking back on it, it felt more successful than it was as well - we didn't exactly run away with things but it felt like we were a really impressive team.

Match - 90 vs Sunderland.  I don't think I have seen a Swindon team play on a complete other level than the opposition before or since.  We saved our best performance for a game at Wembley and left it 1-0 to ensure that even in the dominance it wasn't some steamrollering where you lose interest.

Manager - Ardiles.  What he did with Macari's team is still beyond me.

Player - tough one, I loved watching Moncur play in his pomp, made the team tick.  Hoddle was a delight for the same reason but I think Taylor.  Having met him as well (he popped in once for tea and biscuits with my parents!) he was just a nice off the pitch as he was courageous on it.
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, March 20, 2020, 14:27:02 »

Season - 85/86 - we had suffered several turgid years in Div 4, and Lou Macari had arrived. The first few games weren’t good (we were in the bottom 6) but things turned around after a League Cup away win at Sunderland. We went on a great run, both in League and League Cup (we lost at Ipswich in the quarter finals). The football was quite rudimentary - a high tempo long ball game, underpinned by extraordinary fitness levels. We won a lot of those games with goals in the last 15 mins, basically because we were fitter and stronger than the opposition.

Match - apart from the 1969 Final (too obvious) three stand out for me - interestingly all evening games under lights

- the 1987 Gillingham play off decider at Selhurst  Park, a brilliant evening after two goals from Steve White (one early)
 - the 1986 game v Chester at home 4-2 win which clinched automatic promotion that season - the intensity in that game, with Chester in 3rd place at that point , was immense - another brilliant evening game.
- the 1975 3rd round FA cup 5-0 demolition of a Fulham side containing 3 legends of the game - George Best, Rodney Marsh and Bobby Moore. We simply swept them aside. The first game on the Saturday before (in those days the replay was only 3 days after the drawn first game) was also memorable, including one of the best goals I have seen - Rodney Marsh’s first of that game.

Manager RW - for the style of play and also revitalising the club and its link with the fanbase.

Player - Don Rogers - for anyone of my age or older the only possible choice.
Flashheart

« Reply #12 on: Friday, March 20, 2020, 14:29:26 »

Great to see Wellens getting so much love.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Friday, March 20, 2020, 14:58:05 »

Season - 92/93.
Although this season would eclipse that even if it ends with us all peering at screens to watch the remaining games.

Match - Away, the 6-4 at Birmingham. Home the 4-3 v Arsenal.

Manager - Macari. Closely followed by Wellens.

Player - Fraser Digby as he is the one that has made most appearances in my Town following career.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Friday, March 20, 2020, 15:30:26 »

Season: 2009-10 for having a quality team and that time in life where it’s about football, mates and beers

Most entertaining side was the 2013-14 team - Kasim, Louis and Luongo in mid with Byrne at RWB were unplayable at times

Match: Swindon 3-0 Leeds 2010 - I just didn’t think we won games like that. Absolutely dominated a big club in front of packed house. Douglas was brilliant that night

Beating Stoke 4-3 in the LC under PdC was great for similar reasons.

Manager: Wellens for how he’s rescued the club on the field and reconnected it back with the fans

The highs were higher under PdC - loved his scarf celebrations and goading the oppo fans. But the lows were lower, e.g. hauling Fod off at Preston

Player: Fjortoft in the early days, Steve Finney for his golden season and Miglioranzi was a class act. Most enjoyed seeing Charlie Austin score though
« Last Edit: Friday, March 20, 2020, 15:33:46 by Boeta » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: