Pages: 1 ... 114 115 116 [117] 118 119 120 ... 144   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: So, What Happens . . .  (Read 419837 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #1740 on: Thursday, October 15, 2020, 12:33:11 »

So, not only was Rick Parry prepared to sell us down the river, but so the FA’s Greg Clarke

Exclusive: FA chief Greg Clarke 'proposed Premier League 2 and B teams' in explosive leaked document
EFL boss Rick Parry seeks to clarify his version of events after FA plays major role in torpedoing PBP following clandestine plan's exposure
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #1741 on: Thursday, October 15, 2020, 13:07:47 »

So, not only was Rick Parry prepared to sell us down the river, but so the FA’s Greg Clarke

Exclusive: FA chief Greg Clarke 'proposed Premier League 2 and B teams' in explosive leaked document
EFL boss Rick Parry seeks to clarify his version of events after FA plays major role in torpedoing PBP following clandestine plan's exposure
Not just PL2 and B teams, but also the the 3 divisions of the National League would be added to Leagues 1 and 2 to make a new EFL, EPPP would only apply to PL 1 and 2, League Cup and FA Cup replays scrapped. Here's the link for those who want to read more

https://archive.fo/lyEMN
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1742 on: Thursday, October 15, 2020, 13:17:37 »

Thankfully Man U and Liverpool seem to have put them into the "shit ideas" bin.

I get that all viable options should be on the table even if to be explicitly discounted. That these were deemed worthy of that scrutiny, and put on the table by the FA chief is somewhat dissapointing
« Last Edit: Thursday, October 15, 2020, 13:40:49 by Batch » Logged
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #1743 on: Thursday, October 15, 2020, 16:21:26 »

Bailout has been rejected by EFL clubs and supposedly league 1 clubs are threatening to go into admin en masse.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #1744 on: Thursday, October 15, 2020, 16:38:39 »

Bailout has been rejected by EFL clubs
Can't see the sense in that, given they were in favour of Project BP. The £50m bailout for L1 and L2 is the same as they would have received under Project BP, albeit without the ongoing TV revenues. I can see the Championship clubs voting to reject it, but they'd be outnumbered by L1 and L2 clubs.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1745 on: Thursday, October 15, 2020, 16:55:43 »

the game is afoot.

wonder if there are unacceptable or unknown clauses in there
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #1746 on: Thursday, October 15, 2020, 17:47:31 »

Can't see the sense in that, given they were in favour of Project BP. The £50m bailout for L1 and L2 is the same as they would have received under Project BP, albeit without the ongoing TV revenues. I can see the Championship clubs voting to reject it, but they'd be outnumbered by L1 and L2 clubs.
The EFL are sticking together for once it seems, one deal for everyone or none at all.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #1747 on: Friday, October 16, 2020, 08:53:01 »

You've missed the point. It's not related to league position, it's money and power. So yes it can change, Man City joined the Big 6 when they got bought by a sportswashing regime who chucked in a shitton of money.

No I haven't mate. Unfortunately I think you misread, which in turn led you to only consider part of the quote. I did say, '...finish 7th and have a disaster financially.'

Although league position does have to have some form of the parts anyway;
you get less for your finishing position,
no champions league dollars,
players sale values lower,
less impact as a world leading brand,
as well as defined assurances from some backers/funders would likely fall away/decrease to a degree.

They would still be loaded, but it would still be a financial disaster for a team like Manchester City (in their current guise). It is all relative. Oh to be in that possible scenario  Roll Eyes

I guess you kind of answered my fears though, so whilst the current "Big 6" can be switched, as with anything super elite, the "Big 6 Members Club" will likely want to remain as that; like my Ferrari analogy. Even if they become shit (in world club/brand capacity) they'll will very likely hold their "Big 6" vote and be very hard to budge.

This just isn't really cricket any more, is it?

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #1748 on: Friday, October 16, 2020, 08:56:07 »

No I haven't mate. Unfortunately I think you misread, which in turn led you to only consider part of the quote. I did say, '...finish 7th and have a disaster financially.'

Although league position does have to have some form of the parts anyway;
you get less for your finishing position,
no champions league dollars,
players sale values lower,
less impact as a world leading brand,
as well as defined assurances from some backers/funders would likely fall away/decrease to a degree.

They would still be loaded, but it would still be a financial disaster for a team like Manchester City (in their current guise). It is all relative. Oh to be in that possible scenario  Roll Eyes

I guess you kind of answered my fears though, so whilst the current "Big 6" can be switched, as with anything super elite, the "Big 6 Members Club" will likely want to remain as that; like my Ferrari analogy. Even if they become shit (in world club/brand capacity) they'll will very likely hold their "Big 6" vote and be very hard to budge.

No that's a sexy as the Duckworth Lewis Method😁

So, give no fucks
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1749 on: Friday, October 16, 2020, 09:34:58 »

Gary Neville in talking sense shocker...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54558837

Setting aside the nonsense from the PL at the moment, there seems to be some sort of fissure between the EFL and FA happening with a power struggle between Clarke and Parry!
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #1750 on: Friday, October 16, 2020, 11:43:05 »

It does seemingly need a independent review from top to bottom, but that would need to be fully independent without any football club owner from certain clubs / levels having an undue influence or getting their representative involved.

The issue is the PL will always throw their toys out the pram and want to keep the bulk of the money and not share anything and will stomp their feet and shout loudly.

I find it funny the this comes out from the 'big 6' but they was included in rejecting it.

let hope that something can be done, as it cant be far off that one of the smaller clubs really does stop paying bills and start talking of admin, sadly may that is what it will take for something to be sorted.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #1751 on: Friday, October 16, 2020, 11:50:36 »

No I saw what you said, I just don't think league position is as important as you think, or rather one or even a couple of bad seasons isn't as long as the money keeps flowing. Man Utd have shown that, whereas Everton, historically always considered one of the Big 5 (as it was pre-Abramovich and Man City petrodollars),  didn't keep up financially and so faded out, despite frequently finishing above other members of the Big 6 during that time. But of course as you say league position does form part of it, it brings its own financial rewards and if one of them was really bad over the course of say 5 years and/or got relegated as Man Utd have done in the past, I don't think they'd survive that. But then that's the point of - their money and power prevents that.

Yes that's the main point, they were trying to cement their position as the Big 6, and prevent anyone else from joining e.g. the Saudi takeover at Newcastle could have seen them being able to compete financially at the same level
« Last Edit: Friday, October 16, 2020, 11:57:48 by pauld » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1752 on: Sunday, October 18, 2020, 08:03:36 »

anybody got any creative ideas about flogging next season's session tickets.

I know it's a few months off yet.

I just can't see many renewing if the prospect of no live football still exists.

To be honest I've got friends who while being somewhat understanding  are questioning why they are paying 50% more for ifollow than non season ticket holders (£350 renewal).

you don't have to agree with that, but it's going to be somewhat challenging as some do.

and yes, this is tomorrow's problem when won't be a problem if we don't sort out the issues of today
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #1753 on: Sunday, October 18, 2020, 08:29:56 »

L1 clubs threatening not to pay tax due to HMRC unless they get a bailout. The obvious outcome to that being everyone goes into admin at the same time, thus negating the points deduction and wiping out of non footballing debts.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #1754 on: Sunday, October 18, 2020, 09:53:35 »

Project Big Six is actually a much worse deal than it sounds financially for the EFL. It's explained in depth in this excellent thread from SportingIntel

https://twitter.com/sportingintel/status/1317581001401470979

But the TLDR is that currently the PL sells 380 games overseas, under PBP that would *drop* to 162 being sold by the PL (2 less teams plus each team can sell the overseas rights to 8 of their home games themselves so excluded from the central deal). So there is no way the overseas TV rights will be worth anywhere near the £1.4bn they're worth currently. He reckons more like £200m. So that takes the £3.5bn of central revenues down to more like £2bn. 25% of £2bn is still not pocket change, and abolishing parachute payments means each club will get more just from that, but it's a far cry from some of the calculations being done currently.

And that doesn't allow for the real danger here - those 8 home games that each PL club can sell direct. What's the betting that some clubs, not unadjacent to the Big 6 perhaps, find they can make significantly more money by selling their own games than they do through the central deal? So that in future years, they force through an even greater proportion of games they can sell direct? Or decide they want to also sell the domestic rights to those 8 home games too? All of a sudden that £2bn of central revenues is going to start shrinking very quickly indeed. And that 25% is going to look less and less like a good deal.

And remember that under PBP the EFL TV deal is folded into the PL TV deal as one pot of central revenues, so EFL clubs can't even fall back on that and look on the central PL revenues as extra, because that 25% of the PL revenues will be all they're getting. If those central revenues have been cut by top clubs cherry picking the best games, then we could be looking at 25% of not much.
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 116 [117] 118 119 120 ... 144   Go Up
Print
Jump to: