Pages: 1 ... 93 94 95 [96] 97 98 99 ... 144   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: So, What Happens . . .  (Read 419830 times)
Super Hans

Ignore
« Reply #1425 on: Saturday, July 18, 2020, 13:20:44 »

Didn't really get close to scoring that second half bar a couple of efforts. Stoke were never stretched.

Should have known not to bet on the early kick off.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #1426 on: Saturday, July 18, 2020, 14:46:59 »

FA guidelines for grassroots and youth football signed off by DCMS: teams can resume full training in groups of up to 30, friendlies, tournaments and SSGs allowed as of Aug 1st, leagues can start from September
sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #1427 on: Sunday, July 19, 2020, 10:50:08 »

Nice mixed metaphor in this quote in the Adver...

“On Facebook, —————— said: "I'd be waiting longer. What the government say and what the medical situation actually is are two different things entirely. I miss football like a hole in the head but it just isn't safe." “

Definition of like a hole in the head. informal. : not at all —used with need to say that someone doesn't at all need something. Ex- She already has too many shoes. She needs another pair like a hole in the head.

« Last Edit: Sunday, July 19, 2020, 10:52:46 by sir windon » Logged
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #1428 on: Monday, July 20, 2020, 19:17:59 »

Being reported in The Athletic that some clubs in L1 and 2, including Bolton, say they will not start the season with no fans as they can’t afford the testing.

Funny how they can pay Doyle £4k pw to sit on his arse, though.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #1429 on: Monday, July 20, 2020, 19:35:31 »

Or 250k up front in compo for Evatt...
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #1430 on: Monday, July 20, 2020, 19:36:05 »

Being reported in The Athletic that some clubs in L1 and 2, including Bolton, say they will not start the season with no fans as they can’t afford the testing.

Funny how they can pay Doyle £4k pw to sit on his arse, though.

Does it say the other clubs?

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #1431 on: Monday, July 20, 2020, 19:44:19 »

Here’s the article

From The Athletic

The EFL already has plenty of delicate and time-sensitive issues on its plate with investigations into FFP breaches and potential relegation appeals. Well, now you can add the threat of clubs potentially striking over the restart of Leagues One and Two if coronavirus testing measures are still in place.

English football’s third tier was the last to decide how to resolve its 2019-20 season, caught in the middle of the Premier League and Championship’s Project Restart, and League Two curtailing their campaign.

Although there is no definitive date, clubs in Leagues One and Two are expecting to be told to return to competitive action come mid to late September, keeping their 2020-21 season as close as possible to the top two tiers.

That would be six months since most of those clubs hosted a game and the government’s announcement this week, bringing the potential return of crowds to matches from October, is welcome news.

However, the bigger issue is the testing and biosecurity protocol that has made football’s return possible.

Aside from those clubs involved in the end of season play-offs, Leagues One and Two are yet to function under the current strict and regular COVID-19 testing regime. The Athletic understands at least a dozen clubs, including Bolton and Ipswich, have told the EFL they will not restart as they cannot afford the costs involved.

It means the EFL faces the threat of clubs refusing to play unless the testing rules are relaxed by updated government advice, which seems most likely, or the EFL can find a more cost-effective way for the biosecurity rules surrounding post-COVID football to be met.

Either way, how to make football in England’s third and fourth tiers viable remains a live discussion.

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #1432 on: Monday, July 20, 2020, 20:57:35 »

That's fine. Forfeit the game and 12 point deduction for each match they don't play. If there are individual players that don't feel safe to play, that's one thing, but these are supposedly comparatively well-off clubs that are trying to force everyone else to abandon a testing protocol that ensures players can feel safe to play. Fuck em.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #1433 on: Wednesday, July 22, 2020, 09:11:15 »

For those clubs that have already signed players prior to a salary cap being brought in, they will be counted as having the average salary for players under that cap.

So, Bolton will have Doyle capped as if he is on £2500pw - which is the average a player will get paid under a £2.5m wage cap.

£2500pw is about 5% of a club’s total cap in L1.

Edit. Silly me. Doyle is playing under the L2 cap, but the premise is the same.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, July 22, 2020, 09:21:51 by The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey » Logged
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1434 on: Friday, July 24, 2020, 13:07:34 »

French cup final tonight, crowd capped at 5k
SuggWillSugg MBE

Ignore
« Reply #1435 on: Friday, July 24, 2020, 13:25:40 »

Premier league 20/21 season confirmed as a September 12th start date. The EFL is normally a couple of weeks before, wonder if that will push up the start date for us

theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #1436 on: Friday, July 24, 2020, 13:43:39 »

Confirmed for us as well. Normal finish so plenty of midweek games I’m sure.
Flashheart

« Reply #1437 on: Friday, July 24, 2020, 13:50:03 »

Confirmed for us as well. Normal finish so plenty of midweek games I’m sure.

There's going to be lot of teams digging deep into their (already thin) squads.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #1438 on: Friday, July 24, 2020, 14:02:38 »

There's going to be lot of teams digging deep into their (already thin) squads.
May impact Wellens thinking a little as players with injury records will be an even bigger risk.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #1439 on: Friday, July 24, 2020, 21:31:40 »

Suppose it has to start relatively close to normal and end (as this one would've done) a little earlier because the delayed Euros will be going ahead next Summer too. Another factor and knock on effect.

If/when crowds come back it's going to be great for any football fan but especially neutrals, who like to go to a mixture of matches. Bar a few weeks after the end of this "season" it is non stop from now, all the way through to this time next year (Europa/Champs League RndOf16 start soon in August I think, then the leagues kick in again and then the above mentioned delayed Euro2020). Let us just hope we have some teams lower down the order to fulfil fixtures and that Town are one of them that can do so. Strange mix of partly weird yet also exciting times.

Most of us alive today will have never seen anything like this, bar a few older folk who were old enough to see the abandonment of the Leagues during WWII. The world has changed a fair chunk since then but could you see players like Mason Mount or Jack Wilshere having their contracts cancelled and signing up for the Armed Forces, if such a similar situation were to arise? No doubt today they'd be excused on purely entertainment terms or just be sent out to play footy at one of the bases to keep the troops entertained. Which I guess happened with footballers who "went to war" and ended up playing for the AF Teams.

This bit stuck out from an IWM piece, regarding the introduction/limitation of crowds;

In 1939, the threat of air attack and the introduction of conscription made it impossible for football to continue as before. However, on 21 September, the Home Office agreed to allow a revised programme of football as long as it didn't interfere with national service and industry. Crowds were limited to 8,000 in evacuation areas and 15,000 elsewhere. 

I think we're seeing the beginnings of similar phases of reintroduction, albeit for dissimilar reasons.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/history/10-facts-about-football-in-the-second-world-war

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 95 [96] 97 98 99 ... 144   Go Up
Print
Jump to: