Pages: 1 ... 90 91 92 [93] 94 95 96 ... 144   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: So, What Happens . . .  (Read 419952 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1380 on: Thursday, July 16, 2020, 11:59:26 »

they still appear to be doing the worst possible job at handling it.

That's their standard approach.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #1381 on: Thursday, July 16, 2020, 12:04:43 »

The Athletic are reporting that issues with relegation from The Championship (Wigan/Sheff Wed) and League Two (Stevenage/Macclesfield) might not be resolved before any scheduled start of the new season thus impacting the entire EFL.

Nobody needs that.
They’re hoping that Wigan and Sheffield Wednesday have enough points from games played to avoid relegation and then hand them a pointless 12 point deduction.
Panda Paws

« Reply #1382 on: Thursday, July 16, 2020, 12:11:39 »

They’re hoping that Wigan and Sheffield Wednesday have enough points from games played to avoid relegation and then hand them a pointless 12 point deduction.

My impression with Wigan is that if that happens, they start on -12 next season.
Cheltred

Ignore
« Reply #1383 on: Thursday, July 16, 2020, 12:29:34 »

My impression with Wigan is that if that happens, they start on -12 next season.
I think so, and presumably the same for Wednesday
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #1384 on: Thursday, July 16, 2020, 12:32:31 »

I am pretty sure the EFL said that, 12 point either now if it meant relegation or if they stayed up then it would be in place next season.

Sheff Weds are more likely to have a transfer ban and large fine than point deduction though it seems, Birmingham in a similar boat to Weds too.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sheffield-wednesday-face-potential-points-4253891

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #1385 on: Thursday, July 16, 2020, 12:32:58 »

If they were to finish in the bottom 3 after all games played their 12 point deduction would apply next season. If they finish outside the bottom 3 this season the deduction is applied this season.

So if they actually finish 13 points outside the 3rd relegation spot they’re safe even when the 12 point deduction is applied.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #1386 on: Thursday, July 16, 2020, 12:35:16 »

If they were to finish in the bottom 3 after all games played their 12 point deduction would apply next season. If they finish outside the bottom 3 this season the deduction is applied this season.

So if they actually finish 13 points outside the 3rd relegation spot they’re safe even when the 12 point deduction is applied.
Not quite.

If they finish in the bottom 3 WITH the points deduction then they will be relegated and the points taken THIS season.

If they stay up by more than 12 points then the points deduction will be next season.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #1387 on: Thursday, July 16, 2020, 12:42:10 »

Don’t think that’s right PV. If they’re relegated ‘naturally’ the deduction is definitely next season.

Outside the bottom 3 it’s applied this season. So if they happen to be 13 points clear of the relegation spot they stay where they are.

It’s why they are going to withdraw their appeal against the deduction if they avoid relegation naturally.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #1388 on: Thursday, July 16, 2020, 12:45:49 »

Don’t think that’s right PV. If they’re relegated ‘naturally’ the deduction is definitely next season.

Outside the bottom 3 it’s applied this season. So if they happen to be 13 points clear of the relegation spot they stay where they are.

It’s why they are going to withdraw their appeal against the deduction if they avoid relegation naturally.
They can't finish in the relegation zone except with 12 points deduction.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #1389 on: Thursday, July 16, 2020, 12:49:52 »

I understood that if they stay up by more than 12 points then the points will come off at the start of next season.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #1390 on: Thursday, July 16, 2020, 12:55:01 »

Nope. When the season finishes the 12 point deduction will be applied. As it stands there is no way they will finish in the bottom 3 naturally.

The only way the 12 point deduction would be applied next season is if they actually did finish in the bottom 3.

It’s almost certain they will avoid relegation even when the 12 point deduction is applied after 46 games.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #1391 on: Thursday, July 16, 2020, 12:58:29 »

I stand corrected then, seems a bit futile deducting them points that mean absolutely nothing other than a few hundred grand less league position bonus payments.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #1392 on: Thursday, July 16, 2020, 13:07:08 »

Not really. Obviously Wigan have done well enough to mitigate the 12 point deduction.

The real problem here is Sheffield Wednesday. I’m not sure what they’ve been charged with - abusing FFP? - and what the penalty is if found guilty.

Again, they should have enough points in the bag to render a 12 point deduction meaningless. If the penalty is one that does, somehow, relegate them they are bound to appeal - as we did. That appeal would likely eat into next season and may void the season starting in the Championship and L1.

Horrible thought. If they are just plain demoted - as we were - would that mean the piss stains would go up a la Sunderland or would the 3rd bottom in the Championship be reprieved?
Peter Venkman

« Reply #1393 on: Thursday, July 16, 2020, 13:10:34 »

Horrible thought. If they are just plain demoted - as we were - would that mean the piss stains would go up a la Sunderland or would the 3rd bottom in the Championship be reprieved?
Don't even think about that 1st option.

These days I doubt any club will ever be relegated for financial reasons unlike us, all punishments seem utterly futile anyway and will all be challenged at by clubs at every level.

It will be a fine and a transfer ban at best, not that a transfer ban has held back Bolton even.

Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #1394 on: Thursday, July 16, 2020, 13:11:08 »

Not really. Obviously Wigan have done well enough to mitigate the 12 point deduction.

The real problem here is Sheffield Wednesday. I’m not sure what they’ve been charged with - abusing FFP? - and what the penalty is if found guilty.

Wednesday were charged with misconduct in November after their owner sold their stadium to himself to avoid breaking the league’s profitability and sustainability rules in 2018.

Under those rules, clubs are allowed to make a maximum loss of £39 million over three years and they were set to overshoot that by a significant margin until the £60 million sale of Hillsborough turned a third straight loss into a £2.6 million profit.

They are not the only club to sell their stadium to their owner to avoid an FFP charge (Aston Villa, Birmingham City, Derby County and Reading) but they are the only club to have possibly waited too long to do it as the EFL believe the transaction took place after the 2017-18 accounting period.
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 92 [93] 94 95 96 ... 144   Go Up
Print
Jump to: