Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 ... 144   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: So, What Happens . . .  (Read 419939 times)
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #960 on: Wednesday, May 20, 2020, 10:29:03 »

Is it sense though? We've seen Southampton, Leeds, Wolves, Forest etc getting 30k attendances in league 1, surely they should have more spending power? % of turnover still seems like the most sensible route but removing the financial doping from rich owner loophole.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #961 on: Wednesday, May 20, 2020, 10:33:27 »

The great equaliser!
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #962 on: Wednesday, May 20, 2020, 10:38:54 »

The great equaliser!
But doesn't make it right... We'd have been fucked in league 2 we'd have had no advantage over any club despite having 5 or 6 times the crowds.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #963 on: Wednesday, May 20, 2020, 10:43:36 »

But doesn't make it right... We'd have been fucked in league 2 we'd have had no advantage over any club despite having 5 or 6 times the crowds.
I know what you mean, though without a specific figure clubs would find loopholes as they have done with FFP.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #964 on: Wednesday, May 20, 2020, 10:45:59 »

I know what you mean, though without a specific figure clubs would find loopholes as they have done with FFP.
You're assuming they can't circumnavigate this with lucrative signing on fee's and bonus arrangements, there will always be a way around it.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #965 on: Wednesday, May 20, 2020, 10:46:49 »

I think you might be slightly overestimating us there. We're above average for League Two sure, but we're not double the average let alone five or six times it! https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/league-two/attendances
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #966 on: Wednesday, May 20, 2020, 10:51:09 »

Outside the playing budget, there are the associated costs of running a club. Rent or mortgage payments, loans, stadium upkeep, groundsman and staff, back room staff etc. That comes out of your turnover, which as we’ve seen under FP is skewed with sponsorship income, there has to be a limit that is truly transparent.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #967 on: Wednesday, May 20, 2020, 10:53:48 »

Why have they decided to bring this in?

Yes salary caps are good in football IMO but the FFP in theory did almost exactly the same job as the new guidelines, L2 clubs can only spend 55% of turnover on player wages and L1 clubs thats 60%.

So the higher attendances can spend more on player wages, makes perfect sense to me.

What they need to clamp down on is the idiots like Dale Vince who have artificially high player wages due to his company sponsorships, thus totally avoiding any FFP caps by just throwing another £1m a go sponsorship deal at the club.

Any sponsorship should be totally seperate from actual attendance/merchandise and should not be included in the "turnover" figures.

If a team such as FGR get an average attendance of 2,500 which would equate to roughly £50k per home game which over a whole season would be around £1.4m including cup games and merchandise. This would allow them to spend @ £770k on player wages.

Compaired to a team like Plymouth who averaged almost exactly 4 times that much then they could in theory spend £3m on wages.

If the EFL removed the sponsorship loophole in funding being added to actual turnover then they would not need to bring in this new salary cap system.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #968 on: Wednesday, May 20, 2020, 10:56:06 »

I think you might be slightly overestimating us there. We're above average for League Two sure, but we're not double the average let alone five or six times it! https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/league-two/attendances
The bottom 4 in that table have all had a significant number of games where attendances have been below 2k. Our overall average is more than double that of the team 14th in that table so some arbitrary figure just doesn't make sense.
Like I said Leeds, Wolves, Norwich etc had 30k attendances in league 1, in 3 or 4 games their turnover from ticket sales alone would bring in more than the £2.5m spending cap, it just doesn't make sense.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #969 on: Wednesday, May 20, 2020, 11:01:28 »

It's nice to see we have a bigger average than the massive Oxford Utd whose numbers are also have an advantage of regular big away support

So, give no fucks
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #970 on: Wednesday, May 20, 2020, 11:28:13 »

brutal but necessary.

question - what do those with big squads with long contracts do?

I guess this is an attempt to level the post covid playing field so everyone has a chance of competing.
Flashheart

« Reply #971 on: Wednesday, May 20, 2020, 11:29:22 »

You'd think it'd be phased in rather than happening overnight to give the bigger spenders time to adjust.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #972 on: Wednesday, May 20, 2020, 11:34:01 »

brutal but necessary.

question - what do those with big squads with long contracts do?
Is it not just going to create a massive gap between league 1 and 2 now as well because there is pretty much no chance a league 2 club can compete with a league 1 club on wages so league 2 will just be full of even more dross with decent players a rarity. Same goes between league 1 and the Championship, that gulf is just going to increase exponentially.

This doesn't do it for me, it needs to be turnover based otherwise it's just going to be a complete farce. A big club could end up stuck in league 1 accruing tens of millions in their bank due to a high turnover but unable to spend it as they are restricted to £2.5m a year in wages. How is that the way forward?
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #973 on: Wednesday, May 20, 2020, 11:40:50 »

Talks are ongoing...

Amazing that this years Turkeys Bolton, Tranmere and Southend have put forward a motion to cancel Christmas. Funny that...

Clems Army!
Valid Pint

« Reply #974 on: Wednesday, May 20, 2020, 12:01:48 »

'Black Cats chief executive Jim Rodwell reiterated the club's view that all fixtures should be completed.

"We believe that any league places should be determined by what happens on the pitch, not in a meeting room and most certainly not in a courtroom," he said'

That takes the Fucking biscuit
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 ... 144   Go Up
Print
Jump to: