Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 ... 144   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: So, What Happens . . .  (Read 420047 times)
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #540 on: Friday, May 8, 2020, 22:23:38 »

All good fun isnt it.

I do long for the days when we spend a few years in the National League though Wink

We've done ok since 1879 a little longer than the early 60's neither have never changed names!
« Last Edit: Friday, May 8, 2020, 22:26:16 by Jimmy Quinn » Logged

So, give no fucks
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #541 on: Friday, May 8, 2020, 22:31:43 »

Is this summer the centenary of our election to the League?  100 year unbroken run.  If so, it's a shame the final lap is going to end this way.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #542 on: Saturday, May 9, 2020, 02:29:23 »

Well, that little Thai fella set the wheels in motion for Reading’s financial disaster and, no doubt, a similar scenario will eventually unfold at Oxford - probably augmented by the spawniest promotion ever. They’ll either just crash and burn in the Championship or, least likely, throw somebody’s money at it and still crash and burn ending with a financial noose round their neck.

Does anybody know who he is a front for?
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #543 on: Saturday, May 9, 2020, 02:39:32 »

This is from the Telegraph's Economics Editor earlier this week:

Fair enough, but you can go first mate.

*Removes Russell Lynch from Christmas card list. Adds Russell Lynch to 'VIP invititation to Hell' list*

And yes 'tit' was intentional  Wink

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Valid Pint

« Reply #544 on: Saturday, May 9, 2020, 05:09:56 »

We played Arsenal again in 1979 in the league cup in front of just under 22,000
That cup run got me the bug. Shame we haven't had any cup runs like it recently to maintain the pipeline. It's the legacy we will have from the current owner.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #545 on: Saturday, May 9, 2020, 08:15:43 »

That cup run got me the bug. Shame we haven't had any cup runs like it recently to maintain the pipeline. It's the legacy we will have from the current owner.

Great times Arsenal Spurs, Wolves all massive cup games and Town held their own against the big boys and fantastic away support which will live with me forever

So, give no fucks
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #546 on: Saturday, May 9, 2020, 08:30:05 »

Great times Arsenal Spurs, Wolves all massive cup games and Town held their own against the big boys and fantastic away support which will live with me forever

Sadly, those 'good old days' are unlikely to return and the effects of the current pandemic will only widen the gulf between the lower leagues and the 'big boys'.

Nothing to see here
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #547 on: Saturday, May 9, 2020, 08:39:54 »

Sadly, those 'good old days' are unlikely to return and the effects of the current pandemic will only widen the gulf between the lower leagues and the 'big boys'.

Yes I agree

So, give no fucks
BoA Vagabond

Tufty club

Ignore
« Reply #548 on: Saturday, May 9, 2020, 08:51:58 »

We played Arsenal again in 1979 in the league cup in front of just under 22,000

I'm sure this will have been dealt with in a thread before I joined. I attended from 1975 and throughout the seventies I can't recall ever paying to get in. On the Shrivenham road I and lots of other kids got passed over the turnstile and for the seats I just walked up the rickety stairs and in. I doubt my Grandfather ever stopped to get me a ticket. My apologies to him if I am wrong. He was a season ticket holder from after the war until the mid 80's so new the bloke on the door. Similarly, my Dad was a steward in the North Stand, and again, I just walked in. How many used to climb up and over into the Stratton bank? Lots. My point is that attendance figures are bollocks and always have been. Arsenal 79, Tottenham 80 etc figures made up. Who remembers the huge laugh when the attendance was announced v Ipswich first game after demotion? Quickly altered five minutes later to a huge cheer. So we have probably had much bigger support and the same for all clubs. Corrupt clubs and officials and who says no to a freebie? I used to think I owed them but having sat through the 99/2000 season I dismissed that thought!

Parasitic freeloading season ticket holder scum
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #549 on: Saturday, May 9, 2020, 09:07:24 »

I'm sure this will have been dealt with in a thread before I joined. I attended from 1975 and throughout the seventies I can't recall ever paying to get in. On the Shrivenham road I and lots of other kids got passed over the turnstile and for the seats I just walked up the rickety stairs and in. I doubt my Grandfather ever stopped to get me a ticket. My apologies to him if I am wrong. He was a season ticket holder from after the war until the mid 80's so new the bloke on the door. Similarly, my Dad was a steward in the North Stand, and again, I just walked in. How many used to climb up and over into the Stratton bank? Lots. My point is that attendance figures are bollocks and always have been. Arsenal 79, Tottenham 80 etc figures made up. Who remembers the huge laugh when the attendance was announced v Ipswich first game after demotion? Quickly altered five minutes later to a huge cheer. So we have probably had much bigger support and the same for all clubs. Corrupt clubs and officials and who says no to a freebie? I used to think I owed them but having sat through the 99/2000 season I dismissed that thought!
[/quote

I was at all those games and it was quite well known that the attendance were fixed and another game that stands out was Bournemouth at home over the Easter week end in 1987. It was a top of the table clash and we were packed in like sardines but they gave the crowd out as 14,302 which was simply unbelievable as there were no spaces anywhere apart from the few seats above the shrivenham road stand.

So, give no fucks
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #550 on: Saturday, May 9, 2020, 09:09:33 »

I honestly can’t remember when it changed from pay cash at the turnstile to pre-paid ticket entry.

All that physical money sloshing around on Matchdays was too tempting for most owners - hence the incredulity at some of the announced attendances. Also meant less money to pay the away club, too.

Suppose they’re using more technological methods to siphon it off nowadays.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #551 on: Saturday, May 9, 2020, 09:59:33 »

I'm under no illusions here, and I couldn't give a monkeys 'who is best'. All a bit of fun.
Absolutely, I say I hate Oxford, but tbh I actually hate the tiny minority of Oxford supporters that create havoc at games with totally mindless violence, same reason I hate Bristol Rovers and City. Its not a club thing as such its a group of idiot supporters that I really hate.

I am sure in the same boat Swindon have a similar amount of idiot supporters that just go to games to have a fight and they don't actualyl really give a flying fuck about the actual result or the club they profess to support.

Don't stop posting Goat man becuase its always great to hear what other fans think about things rather than just having a Swindon viewpoint (thats a link for the oldies!).

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Family at War

Midfield Maestro

Ignore
« Reply #552 on: Saturday, May 9, 2020, 12:03:46 »

To be honest what Robinson has done at Oxford this season turning them around after selling two key players they deserve to go up
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #553 on: Saturday, May 9, 2020, 12:14:42 »

To be honest what Robinson has done at Oxford this season turning them around after selling two key players they deserve to go up

What Coventry, Rotherham and Fleetwood have done is more commendable considering crowds, budgets and grown sharing goes

So, give no fucks
Panda Paws

« Reply #554 on: Saturday, May 9, 2020, 14:02:39 »

What Coventry, Rotherham and Fleetwood have done is more commendable considering crowds, budgets and grown sharing goes

Not sure about Rotherham in that mix, and Fleetwood are being bankrolled.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 ... 144   Go Up
Print
Jump to: