Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 ... 144   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: So, What Happens . . .  (Read 420108 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #465 on: Thursday, May 7, 2020, 11:52:48 »

That could be decades... there's still no vaccine for HIV for example. Does he mean vaccine alone or vaccine/effective treatment?

"We cannot yet mention a date for the last step, the mass gatherings. That is actually only possible if there is a vaccine and no one knows how long it will take. We hope of course soon, but a year or more is very real."

There are apparently 460 clinical trials of potential vaccines underway at the moment worldwide, I am pinning my hopes on the Llamas.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #466 on: Thursday, May 7, 2020, 13:31:15 »

Very bold statement there. If they go down that route and say in 12 months there’s still no vaccine I think they’ll have a lot of civil unrest on their hands demanding it return.
That goes for everything COVID19 related to be honest, if in 12 months no vaccine is on the horizon and there are still restrictions people will be demanding a return to full normality and we’ll just have to live with the virus.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #467 on: Thursday, May 7, 2020, 13:41:05 »

That goes for everything COVID19 related to be honest, if in 12 months no vaccine is on the horizon and there are still restrictions people will be demanding a return to full normality and we’ll just have to live with the virus.

Kind of.  Except 'full normality' will be a bit different to what went before.  I'm sure 2020 will be a bit of an era-defining date for historians in future.  Pre-2020 life in some respects will come to be seen as quaintly old-fashioned.  And probably in more ways than we appreciate right now.

But I take your general point.  The longer the pandemic lasts, the more difficult governments will find it to enforce restrictions.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #468 on: Thursday, May 7, 2020, 16:03:32 »

Kind of.  Except 'full normality' will be a bit different to what went before.

Its not full normality, its the new normal as the government has chosen to utter in just about every sentence, get with the messaging!
Cheltred

Ignore
« Reply #469 on: Thursday, May 7, 2020, 17:28:45 »

Well, if they do go bust,their record this season will be expunged and we’ll lose 3 points. Not sure how it affects other clubs at the top.
If I've got it right, we lose 3, Crewe and Plymouth 4, Cheltenham 3 and Exeter 6. I didn't bother with anyone farther down
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #470 on: Thursday, May 7, 2020, 19:29:07 »

League in Norway starting again on 16th of June, teams able to train again from now.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #471 on: Friday, May 8, 2020, 07:38:01 »

The Athletic saying that Leagues 1 and 2 will be told next week there is no hope of them finishing the season and to vote on how to decide the season. Once again the EFL not giving a shit about anything below Championship. They will also look fucking stupid if they dont promote lower league teams whilst crowing about suing the PL if teams dont go up from the Champuonship.

PPG is the only way for me, rather than null and voiding. It rewards failure, are Bolton and Macclesfield going to serve their punishments next season? Teams also saying they dont agree with PPG in case they could enter a run of form and its disproportianate is a load of bollocks too, you cant guess possible results. Stevenage, havent won a game since January and would be rewarded. Just end it now, PPG the only option.

Promote top three, have the chairmen from the playoff teams have a fourball at a golf course and promote the winner of that, promote Barrow. Job done Cheesy
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #472 on: Friday, May 8, 2020, 07:39:09 »

So Swindon will go up as champions with Crewe, Plymouth and Cheltenham while in Coventry, Rotherham and Oxford will go up to the Championship using a formula different to the one that would see Wycombe rise a billion places.
tans

Ignore
« Reply #473 on: Friday, May 8, 2020, 07:41:34 »

Is it a different formula to a straight PPG then?
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #474 on: Friday, May 8, 2020, 07:44:26 »

The rationale for this idea is a non-weighted PPG calculation does not take into account the fact that some teams have four home games left, while others have six.

This season across the Football League, the home team has won 46 per cent of the time, with away teams winning only 26 per cent of the games. Over the last six EFL seasons, the average PPG at home is 1.55, compared to 1.19 away.

Under this method, which has been used to decide the tables in English grassroots club rugby union, each club’s PPG would be worked out for their home and away fixtures, then multiplied by 22 for League One, which had 23 clubs this season because of Bury’s demise last summer, and 23 for League Two and then added together to reach a total for the season.

With the EFL admitting there is no chance of staging its traditional end-of-season play-offs in Leagues One and Two, the top three sides in the League One will be promoted to the Championship, with three going down to League Two, while four come up from League Two and only one goes down, to restore the EFL to its full quota of 72 teams.

The weighted PPG method does not change the top three in League One at all, meaning Coventry City would be crowned champions, with Rotherham United and Oxford United joining them in the Championship next season. The current bottom three — Tranmere Rovers, Southend United and Bolton Wanderers — would still be the bottom three, although Bolton would climb one spot, leaving Southend in last place.

In League Two, Swindon Town would leapfrog Crewe Alexandra into first place, with Plymouth Argyle staying in third but Cheltenham Town climbing over Exeter City to claim the final promotion spot. Stevenage would remain in last place, despite the seven-point deduction Macclesfield Town received on Thursday for failing to fulfill a fixture or pay their players on time.
tans

Ignore
« Reply #475 on: Friday, May 8, 2020, 07:50:48 »

Makes sense, i only saw the first part of the article as it was behind a paywall.

So, the Oxford owner has achieved more in 3 years than ours has in 5 Wink
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #476 on: Friday, May 8, 2020, 08:03:31 »

Makes sense, i only saw the first part of the article as it was behind a paywall.

So, the Oxford owner has achieved more in 3 years than ours has in 5 Wink

If this is the methodolgy the EFL clubs opt for then I'm not concerned by the Oxford news because Swindon getting out of L2 is the most important outcome. I'm not hugely bothered about the trophy either but losing to Crewe with a game in hand would perhaps linger on the mind.

To be honest, I'd love to end the run against Oxford and you can't do that without playing them but am content to avoid the circus for at least another season. Their momentum pre-suspension justifies promotion.

Cheltenham Town (a) again though. Great!
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #477 on: Friday, May 8, 2020, 08:19:57 »

Cheltenham Town (a) again though. Great!
Literally just read the Athletic piece and came on here to say exactly that. While by and large, weighted PPG seems the least worst way of resolving matters and obviously as you say us going up is the most important thing, Cheltenham again .... nnnnggghhhhh! Seems harsh on Exeter as well who are a far better side
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #478 on: Friday, May 8, 2020, 08:24:00 »

They will rue the momentum of Cheltenham but Exeter were wobbling and Chelt were kicking on.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #479 on: Friday, May 8, 2020, 08:25:58 »

They will rue the momentum of Cheltenham but Exeter were wobbling and Chelt were kicking on.
Oh I know and the (weighted PPG adjusted) table doesn't lie and all that, but still feel Exeter were a better side. Which doesn't always translate into better results, esp in L2. Except for us, we are fucking glorious!
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 ... 144   Go Up
Print
Jump to: