Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 144   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: So, What Happens . . .  (Read 422695 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #90 on: Thursday, April 16, 2020, 10:51:50 »

I'm torn between wanting to take promotion now and wanting to continue what has been a very enoyable season. We can't be sure when the next one will come around.

Having said that, there's no guarantee this season will continue to be as much fun if it did continue. Rather a lot has changed since the last time we played.
Absolutely this.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: Thursday, April 16, 2020, 10:57:12 »

I’ve gone from being desperate for the games to be finished and now desperate for the season to be finished - not voided, mind.

From an unselfish point of view, I really dont want any club to fold under these circumstances - even that lot up the road.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: Thursday, April 16, 2020, 11:01:07 »

Always been weird about this sort of stuff. I sort of don't care what division we're in, so long as I can get to some games and it's enjoyable when we're there, with positive fans and half-decent football. For example, I'd take this season over any of the last 2 or 3 in League One.
Kind of with you there but the standard in League 2 is fucking terrible. Much more likely to see a decent game in L1 than L2 (notwithstanding your actually quite reasonable point about the last two seasons we were there). Bottom line though, I just want a club to support. If that means canning the season now, can away say I
kirky69

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: Thursday, April 16, 2020, 11:16:58 »

I'm torn between wanting to take promotion now and wanting to continue what has been a very enoyable season. We can't be sure when the next one will come around.

Having said that, there's no guarantee this season will continue to be as much fun if it did continue. Rather a lot has changed since the last time we played.

I only hope that one of these two scenarios actually transpire. I am becoming increasingly sceptical about this, as many L2 club owners are apparently saying they will not support playing the remaining games behind closed doors, due to associated costs and not even sure that players would agree, given health risks. If it is not feasible to finish the season before June 30th, I can not see it being finished at all due to players contract issues and clubs dire cashflow positions, with next to no income coming in. Then it comes down to option of season being declared null and void or promotions/relegations being awarded based on current positions or ppg and I believe that the null and void option would be chosen, due to majority vote. This would be the absolute nightmare for us and particularly gut wrenching bearing in mind our current league position.

I fear for the future of the majority of lower league football clubs, including ours, where I can see the 2020/21 season being played out behind closed doors, with much reduced playing staff on significantly reduced wages, possibly with many league clubs in administration or worse still.

The irony is that it has taken a pandemic virus to bring to a head the financial crisis that has existed for many years in football. The football bubble is finally bursting. You can not continue to pay out 100%+ of your income on player wages. The greed of the top 6 clubs in the Premiership, backed by wealthy foreign billionaires,  has gone unchecked and caused massive wage inflation throughout the pyramid. It is a disgrace, the football authorities are completely toothless and the PFA led by that grossly overpaid and irritating little shit Gordon Taylor are nothing short of an embarressment. The top Premier clubs need to be mandated now to donate a percentage of their wealth ( not by way of loans or advances on money due later) to support lower league clubs through this crisis and there then needs to be proper regulation in all leagues around player wages relative to a clubs income (do not allow owners loans to prop up) and stop this stupid rule which exists in the Championship around a club being allowed to lose several £m's per season, which only encourages gambling on a clubs future.

Unfortunately self interest is likely to prevail and for that reason I can only see the inequality in football growing, and the number of professional lower league teams diminishing. I hope I am wrong.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: Thursday, April 16, 2020, 11:19:23 »

I only hope that one of these two scenarios actually transpire. I am becoming increasingly sceptical about this, as many L2 club owners are apparently saying they will not support playing the remaining games behind closed doors, due to associated costs and not even sure that players would agree, given health risks. If it is not feasible to finish the season before June 30th, I can not see it being finished at all due to players contract issues and clubs dire cashflow positions, with next to no income coming in. Then it comes down to option of season being declared null and void or promotions/relegations being awarded based on current positions or ppg and I believe that the null and void option would be chosen, due to majority vote. This would be the absolute nightmare for us and particularly gut wrenching bearing in mind our current league position.

I fear for the future of the majority of lower league football clubs, including ours, where I can see the 2020/21 season being played out behind closed doors, with much reduced playing staff on significantly reduced wages, possibly with many league clubs in administration or worse still.

The irony is that it has taken a pandemic virus to bring to a head the financial crisis that has existed for many years in football. The football bubble is finally bursting. You can not continue to pay out 100%+ of your income on player wages. The greed of the top 6 clubs in the Premiership, backed by wealthy foreign billionaires,  has gone unchecked and caused massive wage inflation throughout the pyramid. It is a disgrace, the football authorities are completely toothless and the PFA led by that grossly overpaid and irritating little shit Gordon Taylor are nothing short of an embarressment. The top Premier clubs need to be mandated now to donate a percentage of their wealth ( not by way of loans or advances on money due later) to support lower league clubs through this crisis and there then needs to be proper regulation in all leagues around player wages relative to a clubs income (do not allow owners loans to prop up) and stop this stupid rule which exists in the Championship around a club being allowed to lose several £m's per season, which only encourages gambling on a clubs future.

Unfortunately self interest is likely to prevail and for that reason I can only see the inequality in football growing, and the number of professional lower league teams diminishing. I hope I am wrong.
100% agree with every word of this. Absolutely spot on
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: Thursday, April 16, 2020, 11:38:57 »

Reinstate the punishment next season.
You know that wouldn’t happen, same with Southend they are 20 points adrift how can they get a reprieve. It would be a complete joke if a 75% complete season was made to ‘never to have happened’ as fans and clubs alike have probably spent billions on this season.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: Thursday, April 16, 2020, 12:07:34 »

I think we may have to face the fact that football as we know it is absolutely fucked.

Maybe a few PL clubs can operate with no attendance money, but those in the next 3 leagues can’t. Fans or, indeed, any large gatherings will continue to be banned until there is a vaccine.

How many clubs could survive that - no games until the 2021/22 season (with fans attending). Could clubs just lie dormant with no staff until then? But when it could start up again those clubs will have no money anyway to pay players or all the other associated costs.

Much the same as the thousands of ordinary businesses that will cease to exist.
Flashheart

« Reply #97 on: Thursday, April 16, 2020, 12:14:18 »

This virus won't be around forever.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: Thursday, April 16, 2020, 12:15:40 »

The problem is, though, that neither will a shedload of clubs.
Leggett
Do you like popsicles?

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: Friday, April 17, 2020, 09:13:30 »

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/football-league-championship-return-behind-closed-doors-tv-stream-online-a9470056.html

No date yet, obviously, but at least something is confimed...

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: Friday, April 17, 2020, 09:15:42 »

his statement

https://www.efl.com/news/2020/april/open-letter-to-supporters
Flashheart

« Reply #101 on: Friday, April 17, 2020, 09:30:52 »

Nothing in there about financial support for clubs.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #102 on: Friday, April 17, 2020, 09:33:52 »

Behind closed doors > expunging season.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: Friday, April 17, 2020, 09:43:36 »

There's nothing definitive in that statement*. Previously the EFL hoped to be back up and running in early April. Then late April. Now BCD... at some point, hopefully.

We will see.

*Open letter
« Last Edit: Friday, April 17, 2020, 09:48:54 by Costanza » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: Friday, April 17, 2020, 10:12:31 »

there only thing the *open letter* does is sow the seeds in preparation for BCD, TV only football.

Wonder if it's simply an FA holding pattern , or whether there are ongoing talks with the government on a 'if we relax lockdown next time' basis.

we can only speculate.

god I'm bored
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 144   Go Up
Print
Jump to: