Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 144   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: So, What Happens . . .  (Read 419969 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 08:19:34 »

If this pandemic lasts for 12 or 18 months before things return to whatever normal is then, what state will football, as we know it, be in?

There’s no way a host of clubs, ourselves included, could survive with no income. Players get laid off, owners whose businesses fund clubs go bankrupt. Even the big boys whose wage bill is virtually what they get from TV and sponsors will not be immune.

What would STFC fans do without STFC?
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 08:48:50 »

It won't last that long, we'll have all had it by then if we are going to catch it.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 08:48:50 »

well, we have to hope that doesn't happen. So many businesses will go under not just football

from an stfc point of view we'd need financial help. But there are bugger fish to fry for the government.

Maybe a mothballing of the club and with minimum maintenance and layoff of all staff with the hope of resurrecting it later?

But I think 12-18 months is alarmist even if hypothetical. hopefully
Flashheart

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 08:57:13 »

There won't be much point in keeping people isolated after a point, surely? The whole idea is to slow the spread to help the health system cope. What's the point in keeping people inside when most of us have already had it?

Although a second wave in the winter could be troublesome I suppose. Which was supposedly what Boris was trying to account for in his bungled attempt at dealing with it.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 09:02:41 »

I assume even with the PL now there are going to be issues, yes they have the TV money but that's based upon a contract to provide football for the broadcasters to show, will depend what the contracts say but as the PL is not providing the service its contracted to provide are the TV companies going to want their cash back?

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 09:06:43 »

As I said originally, one of the biggest problems will be how some owner’s businesses have fared during the crisis. If they are close to being unsustainable I’d imagine they’d jettison a football club pretty quickly if it meant their core business survived.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 09:10:23 »

I assume even with the PL now there are going to be issues, yes they have the TV money but that's based upon a contract to provide football for the broadcasters to show, will depend what the contracts say but as the PL is not providing the service its contracted to provide are the TV companies going to want their cash back?

well sky and bt have said no refunds to customers so surely they cant ask for money back from clubs.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 09:22:27 »

As I said originally, one of the biggest problems will be how some owner’s businesses have fared during the crisis. If they are close to being unsustainable I’d imagine they’d jettison a football club pretty quickly if it meant their core business survived.

Where does Power actually get his cash from?

well sky and bt have said no refunds to customers so surely they cant ask for money back from clubs.

Will all depend what the contracts say I suspect?
Panda Paws

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 09:24:47 »

Clubs will mothball - lay off all non-playing staff and as many players as possible and then rebuild as and when they have to.

I'd imagine we'd go bowl-in-hand to the council for a break on rent, ask fans to contribute to the running costs of a mothballed organisation. If there are no players, no staff, no rent and minimal operating costs, the entity survives but the rebuild would be carnage.
Panda Paws

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 09:25:24 »

Sky will allow you to remove your sports subscription with notice charge.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 09:32:32 »

Clubs will mothball - lay off all non-playing staff and as many players as possible and then rebuild as and when they have to.

I'd imagine we'd go bowl-in-hand to the council for a break on rent, ask fans to contribute to the running costs of a mothballed organisation. If there are no players, no staff, no rent and minimal operating costs, the entity survives but the rebuild would be carnage.
But if the fans have no income,  no work.............   vicious circle,  it ain't gonna end pretty.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 10:05:53 »

Where does Power actually get his cash from?
I was just thinking the self same thing. For all the time being here and, supposedly, injecting funds regularly, just where does he get it from?
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 10:09:06 »

I was just thinking the self same thing. For all the time being here and, supposedly, injecting funds regularly, just where does he get it from?

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2011/01/mafia-bust-how-do-mobsters-make-a-living-in-the-21st-century.html

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Badger

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 10:15:52 »

The Italian spirit is alive and well in Marsh Farm Luton

https://twitter.com/CamLTFC1/status/1239327611265986565
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 10:31:03 »

Coming to a Facebook site near you soon!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 144   Go Up
Print
Jump to: