Pages: 1 ... 89 90 91 [92] 93 94 95 ... 144   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: So, What Happens . . .  (Read 419982 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #1365 on: Monday, July 13, 2020, 08:48:52 »

Will the Championship get a salary cap too? I feel like it could widen the gap between the 2nd and 3rd tier... a gap that is already pretty big. I think some players would rather play some games at a Championship club for more money than be a regular at a League One club.
Any cap must be accross the board implimented or as you rightly state there will be a massive gulf between Championship teams hoarding talent being able to pay higher wages and sitting these players on the bench "just in case" rather than letting them develop in the lower leagues.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #1366 on: Monday, July 13, 2020, 08:59:32 »

Do you have a link for this Aud?

That does indeed seem a bit weird, promotions/goals/appearance bonus etc cant be taken into account before the season starts. Now if that was before bonuses I could understand it.

At league 1 level that would be roughly £3.5k pw which I would think would be a struggle for a lot of players who have been earnign way more, like Will Grigg for instance up at Sunderland.

Not against a cap in general as wages are way too high IMO for average talent players.

Also if players sign contracts before this comes in then surely the clubs will have to abide by the contract length and amount? maybe thats why clubs are trying to tie down players contracts early.

It will be very difficult to police if that is the case, some players on substantially lower contracts than players on existing contracts etc.
No link. It was a rumour in another board.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #1367 on: Monday, July 13, 2020, 09:04:47 »

An individual cap per player is absolutely ridiculous, and surely illegal. You wouldn't see it in any other industry.

A well-policed, stringent cap on % of revenue is all that's needed. No loopholes etc.
We have a % cap at the moment. The problem is, as you say, it's not well policed and when the league do try to enforce it or any other regulation, like the Financial Fair Play rules, clubs lawyer up. Increasingly coming to the view that football is incapable of governing it's own finances and the whole shebang (including the laughable Fit and Proper Persons - aka Owners and Directors - Test) needs to be hived off to an independent regulator. Certainly the EFL is not capable of regulating this aspect of the game. Leave the league to administer and organise the football side of things, separate out the financial administration to an independent body with expertise, experience and teeth
Peter Venkman

« Reply #1368 on: Monday, July 13, 2020, 09:10:49 »

We have a % cap at the moment. The problem is, as you say, it's not well policed and when the league do try to enforce it or any other regulation, like the Financial Fair Play rules, clubs lawyer up. Increasingly coming to the view that football is incapable of governing it's own finances and the whole shebang (including the laughable Fit and Proper Persons - aka Owners and Directors - Test) needs to be hived off to an independent regulator. Certainly the EFL is not capable of regulating this aspect of the game. Leave the league to administer and organise the football side of things, separate out the financial administration to an independent body with expertise, experience and teeth
No self respecting club would challenge a FFP ruling surely? they would admit they fucked up and accept their rightful punishment?

Oh wait....

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1369 on: Monday, July 13, 2020, 09:28:49 »

Out of interest, are things set in stone after Bosman going to change in the UK come January 1st?
Panda Paws

« Reply #1370 on: Monday, July 13, 2020, 09:56:16 »

That's a FIFA rule, not an EU law surely? You can sign someone on a Bosman from Norway....
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #1371 on: Monday, July 13, 2020, 10:02:44 »

That's a FIFA rule, not an EU law surely? You can sign someone on a Bosman from Norway....

Dunno, that's why I asked, I know that the Bosman ruling was given by the ECJ and is now enshrined as part of free movement of labour, never seen any mention of it being anything to do with FIFA (or UEFA). I vaguely remember it also put the kibosh on leagues enforcing any limits on home grown players within squads in Europe?

As for Norway they (as we will if our government so chooses) have signed up to a heck of a lot of EU law in order to get access to the single market, I would assume this includes the bit that Bosman sits within.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #1372 on: Monday, July 13, 2020, 10:43:28 »

I thought that, but a bit of research suggested otherwise
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #1373 on: Thursday, July 16, 2020, 01:13:37 »

Time for football crowds to use semaphore.

Have you passed the competencies for that? Will have to provide a certificate at the gate.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #1374 on: Thursday, July 16, 2020, 11:18:02 »

The Athletic are reporting that issues with relegation from The Championship (Wigan/Sheff Wed) and League Two (Stevenage/Macclesfield) might not be resolved before any scheduled start of the new season thus impacting the entire EFL.

Nobody needs that.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #1375 on: Thursday, July 16, 2020, 11:24:44 »

Jokers

EFL sre going to have blood on theit hands if clubs go to the wall due to this
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #1376 on: Thursday, July 16, 2020, 11:31:26 »

The Athletic are reporting that issues with relegation from The Championship (Wigan/Sheff Wed) and League Two (Stevenage/Macclesfield) might not be resolved before any scheduled start of the new season thus impacting the entire EFL.

Nobody needs that.
Eh? How does that work? Stevenage start in League 2 and then get relegated to the Conference half way through? Bonkers!
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #1377 on: Thursday, July 16, 2020, 11:44:37 »

Jokers

EFL sre going to have blood on theit hands if clubs go to the wall due to this

FL are damned if they do and damned if they don't, whatever they decide will no doubt be challenged  by those hit by it which immediately pushes any final decision into the autumn at the earliest.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #1378 on: Thursday, July 16, 2020, 11:50:25 »

Eh? How does that work? Stevenage start in League 2 and then get relegated to the Conference half way through? Bonkers!
Unbelievable decision, pathetic even.

Flashheart

« Reply #1379 on: Thursday, July 16, 2020, 11:52:34 »

FL are damned if they do and damned if they don't, whatever they decide will no doubt be challenged  by those hit by it which immediately pushes any final decision into the autumn at the earliest.

They are in a tough place, and I don't think there is a perfect solution, but they still appear to be doing the worst possible job at handling it.
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 91 [92] 93 94 95 ... 144   Go Up
Print
Jump to: