Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Anyone remember the great disco tunes from the late 70's onwards!  (Read 8049 times)
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 10:04:45 »

Disco would be far down my list of favourite musical genres but still ahead of grunge and britpop.

in fact even yacht rock would be higher up my list. HTH.

Yes I am old.

I missed yacht rock. What's that then? A sub-genre of AOR? I don't think I'm going to like it.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #16 on: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 10:14:36 »

I missed yacht rock. What's that then? A sub-genre of AOR? I don't think I'm going to like it.
Fleetwood Mac, Steely Dan, Supertramp and the Beach Boys.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 10:20:45 »

Fleetwood Mac, Steely Dan, Supertramp and the Beach Boys.

That's quite a wide category. Feared it was going to be Chris Rea et al. Don't mind a bit of Fleetwood Mac, though I could ditch the rest overboard. At least the Beach Boys would float.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Peter Venkman

« Reply #18 on: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 10:21:37 »

That's quite a wide category. Feared it was going to be Chris Rea et al. Don't mind a bit of Fleetwood Mac, though I could ditch the rest overboard. At least the Beach Boys would float.
Its a huge category, and exactly why I would put it above Disco etc.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 10:24:31 »

I feel love was a great tune  Smiley

Georgio Moroder is a genius....

I can imagine some on here turning their nose up at Chicory Tips cover of his 72 offering...

Oh Christain Roberts he used to play for City, but he's alright now  Smiley
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 10:31:51 »

Supertramp had Rick Davies in their line up.... Swindon boy lived on Eastcott Hill.   Possibly a rung or two below Justin Hayward.... Rodbourne boy, ex Commonweal, with a bit of the fB's about him in his youth.

I was at this gig.....

Peter Venkman

« Reply #21 on: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 10:37:06 »

Chicory Tip and Son of my father is a brilliant song.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 10:49:55 »

Have to say Northern Soul was something which passed me by.... I suppose due to being southern and having had a different musical cultural upbringing.... 

Back in the mid to late noughties, during my late Kings' weekends phase there'd be an annual charity night, to raise money in memory of Sandy Martin.... there were a bunch of old Brunel DJ's playing wall to wall soull/jazz funk. 

It was a pay to get in thing, and the punters seemed to consist of couples or ex couples who'd met at the rooms, and were trying to relive their youths... a bit weird. I found the music very hard work, not unlike modern reggae.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 10:51:11 »

I watched a film recently called Northern Soul, I enjoyed it.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #24 on: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 10:56:48 »

Being around the "ska scene" for many years I have been around Northern Soul a lot as they are closely linked for many and I have to say it leaves me totally flat. Not a massive fan of Jazz either.

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 11:07:13 »

Having worked in the capital of Northern Soul (Wigan) for a few years its still quite the thing.

80's & 90's kid me, never really got past it.

My missus is a bit younger than me so she possibly keeps me more up to date than I would normally be, although her mum seems to think I should be some sort of 70's expert despite me being 4 when the decade ended! 
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 11:11:59 »

Being around the "ska scene" for many years I have been around Northern Soul a lot as they are closely linked for many and I have to say it leaves me totally flat. Not a massive fan of Jazz either.

Had I been raised in Wigan or similar I'm sure I'd have been all over NS...

I had a spell when I lived in London where I'd go to Ronnie Scotts and see some jazz stuff, and occasionally pick up something elsewhere, but like with a lot of genres enjoyable, but never became fixated and moved on. There's only so many hours in the day and a lot of music out there..   I've a bunch of mates who are proper musos.... the more obscure the better.

I've a bit of a soft spot for Japanese surf guitar....

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 11:18:02 »

Having worked in the capital of Northern Soul (Wigan) for a few years its still quite the thing.
Disliked soul and disco when I was a kid/teen, but now quite like a bit of Northern Soul occasionally, largely thanks to my brother bombarding me with mix CDs a few years back. My auntie's a massive fan and still does the weekenders, despite being in her 70s!
Peter Venkman

« Reply #28 on: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 11:18:46 »

As for obscure I love this. I was intorduced to it on a long drive with Mr Jupitus after a gig, he is a real muso and comes out with the wierdest stuff.

Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 11:30:55 »

The disco kids are going to be annoyed at this hostile takeover of their thread, but while we're outing our obscure tastes, I now have 54 albums, including several doubles and triples - all purchased on CD despite the fact I immediately upload them - of this magnificent Belgian minimalist composer.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: