Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Oldham v Swindon pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 29423 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: Friday, March 13, 2020, 13:10:43 »

Quote from: Abrahammer
to cancel the season and void it would be dispicable..
Other sports already have, i think it will become inevitable

to remain in League 2 after we've invested heavily....nah.... legal challenges ahoy
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Friday, March 13, 2020, 13:21:38 »

Be nice for us to be the ones filing a lawsuit for a change mind
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Friday, March 13, 2020, 13:27:07 »

There is no way out of this for the Football League.  They're damned, whatever they do.  But voiding the entire (or ¾ of) the season would, in my view, be more damaging in the long term than deciding that the tables as they stand should determine promotion & relegation.  It would mean that, in future, fans would never be sure that the games they were paying to attend would count for anything.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Friday, March 13, 2020, 13:35:37 »

it could also mean the pox in the championship!
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Friday, March 13, 2020, 13:37:51 »

Be nice for us to be the ones filing a lawsuit for a change mind

I would probably void the season and decide to relegate us to the conference

I come from a land down-under
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: Friday, March 13, 2020, 13:41:17 »

Bad for us as we are top of our league

Bloody hilarious if this stops Liverpool finally winning another title.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Friday, March 13, 2020, 13:42:40 »

Think of the Manchester United started this whole thing conspiracy theories
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Friday, March 13, 2020, 14:23:16 »

Bad for us as we are top of our league

We aren't.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Friday, March 13, 2020, 14:24:30 »

Way more open to legal challenge than ending the season with current standings. I wonder whether this is covered in the terms of entry to the league?

Is it, its all going to depend upon what the terms of entry say.

Would have made it so much easier for the League if this was government imposed, I suspect they will be hoping that happens come April 3rd.
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Friday, March 13, 2020, 14:38:14 »

The only reason the suspension is until 4 April is that there is an “International break” for the PL and Championship the week after next, so they have just brought it forward a bit. As others have said, a further decision will be needed at that point.
Awarding honours to teams based on current positions is fine in some cases (Liverpool were almost certain not to be caught in the PL) but in tighter situations it is fraught with problems - qualification for Champions League next year rather than Europa League has a huge financial impact, and the effect is similar for teams promoted or relegated as opposed to staying where they are. In close leagues a club could argue they have been unfairly treated. This means unless the rules already say what would happen in this instance whatever decision (either awarding based on the season to date - adjusted to points per game - or simply starting  again for 20/21 in whatever league you began 19/20) will provide litigation opportunities.
No point in worrying at this point.
I have to say that for  Nostradamus Smeeton to suggest he had this in mind when posting that promotion wasn’t a done deal is preposterous. I agree he was right that  it wasn’t a done deal as the league is close and we still have 10 games left, but today’s claim to prophetic insight is just ridiculous.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: Friday, March 13, 2020, 14:43:12 »

I see its being reported that the FL are to approach the government about emergency funding, what a load of crap the FL have enough in their pot and if not go cap in hand to the PL.
I'm no fan of the Football League but this is nonsense. How much money do you think the Football League has as reserves as an organisation? I'd be astonished if it was enough to cover the losses of clubs in L2, much less L1 and Championship. The Premier League is a rich organisation which could and should help out with solidarity payments, possibly jointly with its members, but I don't think the Football League is in a position to do this.
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Friday, March 13, 2020, 14:50:50 »

The start of 2020/21 season could be delayed to September or October to allow this season to conclude.

The Peterborough chairman has already proposed ditching the League Cup and EFL Trophy would free up the calendar to catch up. You could see the PL clubs using that as an excuse to ditch the League Cup permanently
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #87 on: Friday, March 13, 2020, 14:50:51 »

I'm no fan of the Football League but this is nonsense. How much money do you think the Football League has as reserves as an organisation? I'd be astonished if it was enough to cover the losses of clubs in L2, much less L1 and Championship. The Premier League is a rich organisation which could and should help out with solidarity payments, possibly jointly with its members, but I don't think the Football League is in a position to do this.
Agreed.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Flashheart

« Reply #88 on: Friday, March 13, 2020, 14:54:59 »

I love how, as is standard, so many people can only see one particular outcome occurring despite there being other options available.

You'd have to be rather tunnel-visioned to only see one outcome as a possibility. It could be any one of those suggested so far - and possibly one that has not yet been suggested.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: Friday, March 13, 2020, 14:56:09 »

Our wind tunnel advantage should be massively diminished if they play the rest of the season in April/May/June.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: