Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 28   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Forest Green Rovers pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 72706 times)
Mother Brown

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Thursday, March 5, 2020, 19:05:52 »

I meant at the County Ground which we have. A slight slip of the finger.
As the Bishop said to the actress
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #46 on: Thursday, March 5, 2020, 19:11:38 »

100% is way wide of the mark... our CB pairings have been to say the least interesting. At a conservative estimate we've used 9 different players, a couple like Ballard and Curran, not really significant as only getting a matter of a few minutes.

We've used 12 different pairings,  of which Baudry Fryers have 8 matches, Conroy Baudry next with 7.   Baudry Fryers have some decent results, but so have a lot of the other combos. For instance probably our best result thus far was winning at Home Park.... a Grant Fryers combo.

What makes it so interesting is that conventional wisdom is that in a successful side having a solid stable CB combo is a prime requirement.... and we've not had that.
I find your figures to be a bit wide of the mark.

I make it out that we have had 10 different pairings at CB using 8 different players there.

9x Baudry & Conroy with w5 d2 l2 conceding 11 goals with 2 clean sheets.
8x Fryers & Baudry with w6 d1 l1 conceding 5 goals with 5 clean sheets.
4x Baudry & Zakuani with w1 d1 l2 conceding 6 goals with 1 clean sheet.
3x REG & Baudry with w2 d0 l1 conceding 4 goals with 1 clean sheet.
3x REG & Fryers with w2 d1 l0 conceding 2 goals with 1 clean sheet.
2x REG & Broadbent with w1 d0 l1 conceding 2 goals with 1 clean sheet.
2x Fryers & Conroy with w1 d0 ll conceding 2 goals with 1 clean sheet.
2x Fryers & Grant with w1 d1 l0 conceding 2 goals with 0 clean sheets.
1x Fryers & Zakuani with w0 d0 l1 conceding 2 goals with 0 clean sheets.
1x Broadbent & Caddis & Grant w1 d0 l0 conceding 1 goal with 0 clean sheets.

Appearances playing at CB.

24x Baudry w14 d4 l6 including 9 clean sheets
15x Fryers w9 d3 l3 including 7 clean sheets
12x REG w9 d1 l2 including 3 clean sheets
11x Conroy w6 d2 l3 including 2 clean sheets
5x Zakuani w1 d1 l3 including 1 clean sheet
3x Grant w2 d1 l0 including 0 clean sheets
3x Broadbent w2 d0 l1 including 1 clean sheet
1x Caddis w1 d0 l0 including 0 clean sheets

It shows that Fryers and Baudry have easily the best partnership for keeping clean sheets with 63% of games they have played in as a pairing ending with us not conceding.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Thursday, March 5, 2020, 20:05:57 »

I make it out that we have had 10 different pairings at CB using 8 different players there.

It shows that Fryers and Baudry have easily the best partnership for keeping clean sheets with 63% of games they have played in as a pairing ending with us not conceding.

I can’t believe you’ve had to go to this length to prove what was obvious to 99% of people they Baudry and Fryers is our best combination as they are both very good ball players.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Thursday, March 5, 2020, 22:25:12 »

I can’t believe you’ve had to go to this length to prove what was obvious to 99% of people they Baudry and Fryers is our best combination as they are both very good ball players.

As many can attest, when up against you know who you have to be forensic in what you present otherwise these things will still be rumbling on come next August.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Thursday, March 5, 2020, 22:31:15 »

Fair enough as I said a conservative estimate.... a rough guide, I didn't bother checking to carefully.  However I included Conroy Broadbent for ColU game as Baudry went off earlyish.

The point being that Fryers Baudry have only featured in 8 league games out of 35, as stated they've done well as a combo but other combos have had some good results too. The sample isn't really big enough to make a sweeping generalisation on, becasue of the changes in personnel forced to happen.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Thursday, March 5, 2020, 22:52:53 »

I think we can safely say Baudry has a more positive influence when playing, whether partnered with Conroy, Zeki, REG or Broadbent. He's like a "mentoring" CB. Some of those he's partnered with have needed more guidance than others (Conroy/Broadbent). REG has been quicker to adapt/learn and of course, the golden ratio seems to be Baudry and Zeki. But Baudry is key here. It shows how "good" we are as we've still got results without him yet he does bring more calm to the defensive unit all round.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Friday, March 6, 2020, 07:06:29 »

I think we can safely say Baudry has a more positive influence when playing, whether partnered with Conroy, Zeki, REG or Broadbent. He's like a "mentoring" CB. Some of those he's partnered with have needed more guidance than others (Conroy/Broadbent). REG has been quicker to adapt/learn and of course, the golden ratio seems to be Baudry and Zeki. But Baudry is key here. It shows how "good" we are as we've still got results without him yet he does bring more calm to the defensive unit all round.

So in other words for this division, with a fully fit squad up against all the other teams our strongest line up (lest we forget that there are 11 players on the field at any one time) should consistently give us a 9/10 performance wise. At the worst with suspensions & injuries maybe a 7.5/10 so the key word for all the yinging and yanging is consistency. And that is what every successful team delivers, high levels of consistency. Of course there are individual nuances to pick over but for me a consistently high performance makes for an enjoyable game. Now at the other end of the scale when things are disjointed, that is when you really notice how bad players and their pairings if you will, stand out like a pimple the hooter.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Friday, March 6, 2020, 09:15:19 »

I'm all for someone who has evidence to back up their claims, and I'm a sucker for stats so I enjoyed the post!
Peter Venkman

« Reply #53 on: Friday, March 6, 2020, 09:18:51 »

I'm all for someone who has evidence to back up their claims, and I'm a sucker for stats so I enjoyed the post!
I love stats too, I actually didnt mind collating it, it does evidently show who "appear" to be the best centre back pairing.

I also think it proves Wellens correct in letting go of Zakuani who was only on a winning side once in his 5 appearances with that game being the only clean sheet game he appeared in as well, the 4-0 at Crawley.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #54 on: Friday, March 6, 2020, 09:33:05 »

As always the pre match views of FGR fans, not that there have been thatmany on their very quiet forum...

When we have such great news about the stadium I so wish we had more interviews and videos about the stadium rather than more or the same nonsense from Mark Cooper.

Cooper has outstayed his welcome at this s great club now.

I'm right behind the players though, but cannot bring myself to hear anymore of Cooper's rubbish in interviews.

not mr Coopers fault, but 80% of the questions/time was devoted to the interviewers fawning over the opposition, it is swindon on saturday and not Juventus who fgr are playing ?

Swindon to have a field day against an increasingly frustrated and disgruntled set of players
STFC 6 FGR 0

Sorry my head is still ruling my heart, Swindon 3 - 1 FGR

Don't see anything other than a defeat, but I hope to be proved wrong. Swindon 3 FGR 0

Dread to think, probably a 4 nil drubbing and MC exiting the door (just a pipe dream I have). Feel for the players, in need of a good coach and MC back to the managerial lines.

going and dreading it but would love SWI 1-1 FGR

Im thinking ( hoping ) 1 1 You must be able to get a result sometime.
..and what better time than helping out your best friends and neighbours Chelts

After a dearth of watching FGR recently
I can only see a defeat 4.1 a s we get a late consolation......
Doyle is a class act and a hat trick beckons.
Do I go and watch the humiliation or listen to Bob Hunt going oh dear oh dear on multiple occasions

Waiting to see if Scunthorpe hack the Ginger Pele, or any other key Town players, to the ground before making my forecast.... I am not wildly optimstic about our hopes, but maybe we will rise to the challenge against the odds.

Back to my La La land: Swindon 0 - 1 FGR.

Can see a big defeat here - possibly 4-0 to the Reds.

Ok. I reckon our boys will do their best and fight hard, but injuries of key players (Faz being out of action now being the very last thing we need, presuming he still will be) will be our big problem. Actually reckon we might play better there than we did last year. Swindon 2 - 0 FGR

Really looking forward to this one, nothing like a proper against the odds, backs to the wall type away game. Real test of character for everyone on and off the pitch. Brings back some good memories, can remember lots of times when we've been written off and produced a big performance. Let's hope Saturday is similar. Reckon we can get something. 2-2

Lets just beat them. Then even if they naff off to Div1 we would have had the last laugh and that's always the longest.

Pre match views from Cooper...

https://www.stroudnewsandjournal.co.uk/sport/18284638.forest-green-head-coach-mark-cooper-wants-side-play-without-pressure-table-topping-swindon-town/

Forest Green head coach Mark Cooper wants his side to play without pressure at table-topping Swindon Town

CALMNESS personified; Forest Green head coach Mark Cooper wants his side to enjoy themselves when they face champions-elect Swindon Town.

Cooper’s team were challenging at the top end of the table when the west country rivals last locked horns in December, fighting out a high-octane 2-2 draw. Rovers’ form has nosedived since – winning just two out of their last thirteen games and six defeats in their last eight games, but with 11 matches to go Cooper wants his side to play without pressure.

Cooper discusses the challenge of facing his former club, his admiration for Swindon Town boss Richie Wellens, playing on one of the best pitches in the league, latest injury news, Christian Doidge’s form at Hibernian and his personal coronavirus precautions.

theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Friday, March 6, 2020, 09:57:50 »

I love stats too, I actually didnt mind collating it, it does evidently show who "appear" to be the best centre back pairing.

I also think it proves Wellens correct in letting go of Zakuani who was only on a winning side once in his 5 appearances with that game being the only clean sheet game he appeared in as well, the 4-0 at Crawley.
Guessing you mean Cambridge at home on Boxing Day? Crawley was Fryers and Baudry. Worth pointing out our 7 game winning run that took us top coincided with Fryers and Baudry coming together at centre back and they were a constant until the Cambridge game where Fryers was injured.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #56 on: Friday, March 6, 2020, 10:04:00 »

Guessing you mean Cambridge at home on Boxing Day? Crawley was Fryers and Baudry. Worth pointing out our 7 game winning run that took us top coincided with Fryers and Baudry coming together at centre back and they were a constant until the Cambridge game where Fryers was injured.
Yeah sorry the Cambridge game.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Friday, March 6, 2020, 10:04:53 »

Benda also came in just before the Baudry Fryers debut, think a detailed analysis of your CB combo should look at the GK and holding midfielder as well.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Friday, March 6, 2020, 10:39:11 »

Win. 3-1

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #59 on: Friday, March 6, 2020, 10:39:40 »

Benda also came in just before the Baudry Fryers debut, think a detailed analysis of your CB combo should look at the GK and holding midfielder as well.
I will leave that one down to you then.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 28   Go Up
Print
Jump to: