Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 28   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Forest Green Rovers pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 72751 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Thursday, March 5, 2020, 11:34:25 »

PV 1-1 Reg. Halftime in this feisty derby  Smiley
Super Hans

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Thursday, March 5, 2020, 12:14:20 »

Fancy another comfortable win. They've won two games since the end of November.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Thursday, March 5, 2020, 12:23:39 »

Fancy another comfortable win. They've won two games since the end of November.

What happened to our natural pessamism under such circumstances?

We've changed.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Thursday, March 5, 2020, 12:28:10 »

Based on previous experience against FGR, and their run, I think they'll open up to try and attack us and we'll have a rare game with less possession than the opposition, BUT, that will be their downfall and we'll play much more direct against them, winning 4-2.
Super Hans

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Thursday, March 5, 2020, 13:25:58 »

What happened to our natural pessamism under such circumstances?

We've changed.

True. Just feel to get anything from us away from home at the moment a team will have to be full of confidence and in form. FGR aren't that side.

Wellens won't allow us to take our foot off the gas. I'm sure of it.
Oldwembley69

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Thursday, March 5, 2020, 13:57:00 »

One positive is Mills their LB and Capt? still out injured I believe. He tends to run things for them
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Thursday, March 5, 2020, 14:22:31 »

One positive is Mills their LB and Capt? still out injured I believe. He tends to run things for them

Yeah he was decent for them against us. Wouldn't mind bringing him here.. home town and all.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #37 on: Thursday, March 5, 2020, 14:26:26 »

Yeah he was decent for them against us. Wouldn't mind bringing him here.. home town and all.

Easily their best player and pretty solid at left back, takes a decent free kick too.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Thursday, March 5, 2020, 15:13:04 »

I was talking to a fellow TEf'r yesterday about the same thing.

We aren't playing badly but we have not quite clicked into full gear yet, but we are still winning games at a canter.

If we all click on the same day somebody will get absolutely mullered 5 or 6 nil if not more.

As bizarre as this may sounds as he’s a centre back I think we aren’t clicking as we are missing Baudry. All of our sustained periods of possession are orchestrated by him.  On Tuesday we had REG giving the ball away with bad passes and Broadbent constantly giving the ball away with long cross field passes to Isgrove that their defender won every time. I think it showed why Wellens drops Broadbent as soon he’s in a position to play either Fryers or Baudry at centre back, Broadbent just isn’t good enough with his feet. Even Scunthorpe cottoned on to this on Tuesday and gave him as much time as he liked on the ball.

We were at our fluent best when Fryers and Baudry lined up alongside each other.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Thursday, March 5, 2020, 15:14:45 »

We were at our fluent best when Fryers and Baudry lined up alongside each other.

100% this. The best we've played is with those two at CB... or Conroy.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Thursday, March 5, 2020, 15:31:24 »

*fluid. Unless you're referring to Baudry enhancing our French language skills of course Smiley
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Thursday, March 5, 2020, 15:38:41 »

100% this. The best we've played is with those two at CB... or Conroy.

100% is way wide of the mark... our CB pairings have been to say the least interesting. At a conservative estimate we've used 9 different players, a couple like Ballard and Curran, not really significant as only getting a matter of a few minutes.

We've used 12 different pairings,  of which Baudry Fryers have 8 matches, Conroy Baudry next with 7.   Baudry Fryers have some decent results, but so have a lot of the other combos. For instance probably our best result thus far was winning at Home Park.... a Grant Fryers combo.

What makes it so interesting is that conventional wisdom is that in a successful side having a solid stable CB combo is a prime requirement.... and we've not had that.

theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Thursday, March 5, 2020, 16:01:17 »

*fluid. Unless you're referring to Baudry enhancing our French language skills of course Smiley
No I’m more thinking the “smooth, graceful and effortless” definition.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Thursday, March 5, 2020, 16:08:30 »

100% is way wide of the mark... our CB pairings have been to say the least interesting. At a conservative estimate we've used 9 different players, a couple like Ballard and Curran, not really significant as only getting a matter of a few minutes.

We've used 12 different pairings,  of which Baudry Fryers have 8 matches, Conroy Baudry next with 7.   Baudry Fryers have some decent results, but so have a lot of the other combos. For instance probably our best result thus far was winning at Home Park.... a Grant Fryers combo.

What makes it so interesting is that conventional wisdom is that in a successful side having a solid stable CB combo is a prime requirement.... and we've not had that.

Because we are borrowing something from the Pep school of thought, whereby his best teams have had players like Mascherano filling one of the centre back slots.  Often you heard commentary during that period about how Barcelona would be vulnerable in defence as a result, but the possessioned the life out of teams.

Having two centre backs comfortable on the ball can clearly work - the trick is having that around the rest of the pitch as well.  I don;t imagine having some of centre back pairings would be working as well with Dunne and Linganzi in a two man midfield in front of them.

Also worth noting how often Doughty and Grant drop in when we have the ball at the back, with the full backs pushing upfield.  Our midfielders being better on the ball, so make room for them and get the full backs in a position to stretch the field and deliver crosses.

We certainly look less of a threat when we have players like Broadbent or Zakuani in the role.  Port Vale away (with other mitigating circumstances) being a great case in point.  Fortunately on Tuesday, we were still better than the other team in all other 10 positions on the day.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Thursday, March 5, 2020, 16:28:46 »

No I’m more thinking the “smooth, graceful and effortless” definition.
Hoist on my own pedantry petard Smiley
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 28   Go Up
Print
Jump to: