Pages: 1 ... 496 497 498 [499] 500 501 502 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1188474 times)
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #7470 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 11:08:23 »

Government have shot themselves in the foot announcing dates.

I seriously do not think all restrictions will be lifted by June 21st, but because that date is out there everyone is excited about it and I've already had friends & family  trying to book stuff for that week / weekend (which is dumb anyway as EVERYTHING will be rammed - if all restrictions are lifted).
Flashheart

« Reply #7471 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 11:11:51 »

11A cynic might think it was just a distraction from Hancock breaking the law... 
Panda Paws

« Reply #7472 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 11:34:30 »

11A cynic might think it was just a distraction from Hancock breaking the law... 

Quite the reach - it was scheduled for weeks.

Flashheart

« Reply #7473 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 11:36:57 »

Quite the reach - it was scheduled for weeks.

I'd hazard a guess that the court case was also...
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #7474 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 11:51:13 »

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.  Lots of people have been complaining for the past year that nobody understands the rules, nobody knows the plan, what is the timeline for lifting of restrictions.  The government constantly getting ridiculed (and sometimes quite rightly so) for the way that things are being handled.

Then they actually come out and produce a timeline for relaxing restrictions.

Some people think it's great and are getting excited and start making plans
Some people are totally sceptical and criticise the government for putting dates on things and raising expectations uneccessarily
Some people are complaing about certain dates not matching with their own specific needs

I agree that the handling of this whole debarcle has been pretty much a car crash from start to finish (bar the vaccine roll out) but this really is a case now of whatever they do they are going to get criticism from some sides and individuals.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #7475 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 11:51:35 »

They don't need to do that media re doing it for them...

Panda Paws

« Reply #7476 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 11:56:22 »

I really can't see how anyone can criticise last night's announcements, other than based on your own opinions re risk. If you think it's too quick, just keep hiding away til you're comfortable. We now have the harshest lockdown in the Western world. The walls have to start coming down.

The Scotland PHE research, the Bristol study... so much indicative data that the vaccine drive is indeed the silver bullet. My personal opinion is that we will indeed hit the milestones.
Flashheart

« Reply #7477 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 11:59:47 »

If you think it's too quick, just keep hiding away til you're comfortable.

Really?

Why must so many people keep on thinking of it in individual terms? It doesn't work like that.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #7478 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 12:02:34 »

I really can't see how anyone can criticise last night's announcements, other than based on your own opinions re risk. If you think it's too quick, just keep hiding away til you're comfortable. We now have the harshest lockdown in the Western world. The walls have to start coming down.

The Scotland PHE research, the Bristol study... so much indicative data that the vaccine drive is indeed the silver bullet. My personal opinion is that we will indeed hit the milestones.
Never understood how the UK lockdown is rated as harsh. No mandatory mask wearing, no curfew. Seems a bit namby pamby to me in comparison.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #7479 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 12:15:28 »

Bernie speaks sense

All throughout the last year or so business has been rightly criticised the government for the lack of planning, dates and general forward thinking.  To put forward a plan without any dates to work towards would have been lunacy.

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #7480 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 12:16:20 »

Really?

Why must so many people keep on thinking of it in individual terms? It doesn't work like that.

https://twitter.com/talkRADIO/status/1364116928030269442?s=20
Panda Paws

« Reply #7481 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 12:21:07 »

Really?

It's the opposite of thinking about it in individual terms. It's thinking about it in big data terms, and actually analysing risk at the macro level across the population.

The way the data is currently tracking in real world studies all points towards huge leaps forward.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #7482 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 12:24:12 »

Mainly based on the fact that the last time the kids went back to school, cases and deaths absolutely sky rocketed. Combine that with a relaxation in the latter stages of March and you've, potentially, got a recipe for disaster. If it follows a similar trend to last time, which it probably will but to a lesser degree thanks to the vaccinations, then can you honestly see the 2nd & 3rd steps being on time? It won't happen, and my fear is that if it does, the consequences will be grave. A two week delay in each step pushes that 21st June back quite a lot.

I could see, perhaps, August & September being realistic dates given the current timeline of vaccinations. I'm just concerned that we haven't learnt our lesson and we're gonna see another big wave. How many lives are worth it? I'd rather just do the lockdown right this time rather than fucking about and having Lockdown IV in May.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7483 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 12:27:11 »

The Scotland PHE research, the Bristol study... so much indicative data that the vaccine drive is indeed the silver bullet.
Vaccine effect is only just starting to come through in the data. And experience from other diseases indicate that vaccines alone cannot suppress a virus, you also need an effective public health response, including a functioning test, trace and isolate system. Without 100% efficacy and 100% take up vaccines cannot by definition be a "silver bullet"
Flashheart

« Reply #7484 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 12:27:57 »

It's the opposite of thinking about it in individual terms. It's thinking about it in big data terms, and actually analysing risk at the macro level across the population.

The way the data is currently tracking in real world studies all points towards huge leaps forward.

That doesn't make sense.

I don't have to 'hide away' from it. I'm not even in Britain so I'm not coming from a matter of personal risk. But I still think it is wrong to open too soon (if it is too soon). And I think that because I really don't think having hospitals near breaking point is a good thing.

Some people 'hiding away' won't change that. People 'hiding away' won't stop cases surging again of the virus is still at large. The general public overall will still be out mingling and many won't have any choice in the matter even if the did want to 'hide away'. This is why lockdowns have to be ordered at ll.
Pages: 1 ... 496 497 498 [499] 500 501 502 ... 629   Go Up
Print
Jump to: