Pages: 1 ... 422 423 424 [425] 426 427 428 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1200439 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #6360 on: Thursday, November 26, 2020, 13:04:36 »

it's not far off

you will be able to mix with up to 6 outside.

restaurants and pubs that serve food can open.

people can go to football maybe.

outdoor sports are back on
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #6361 on: Thursday, November 26, 2020, 13:09:38 »

The hospitality industry is fucked for at least another three weeks.

Another hammer blow to the most affected sector of the economy over what should be its most profitable period of the year.

I suppose it’s young people making up the vast majority of those employees so fuck ‘em
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #6362 on: Thursday, November 26, 2020, 13:23:45 »

Feel for the “wet” pubs, publicans and their staff.
A lot of those places spent good money on following guidelines and making their premises as safe as possible.

I’m guessing that the hard scientific evidence behind a pint with a meal being safer than a pint on its own is a bit thin on the ground.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #6363 on: Thursday, November 26, 2020, 13:28:37 »

A lot of those places spent good money on following guidelines and making their premises as safe as possible.

I’m guessing that the hard scientific evidence behind a pint with a meal being safer than a pint on its own is a bit thin on the ground.

It will be the same ‘stop people getting too drunk’ logic that brought the 10pm curfew in. Less likely to get bladdered in a Toby carvery than down the local

Things get better but they never get good
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #6364 on: Thursday, November 26, 2020, 14:07:42 »

It will be the same ‘stop people getting too drunk’ logic that brought the 10pm curfew in. Less likely to get bladdered in a Toby carvery than down the local

Doesn't the Cheltenham fan manage a Toby carvery, might have to get bladdered to put up with that!
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #6365 on: Thursday, November 26, 2020, 14:10:20 »

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #6366 on: Thursday, November 26, 2020, 14:36:45 »

The problem is not wet pubs, but establishments who do nothing to control interaction.  The food concept is the easiest way of limiting interaction - you have to have a set table to eat, so you are not up and mingling with other people.  Where I live they've not really done a lot to limit occupancy, so I have avoided going out.  In Northern States they have ripped out tables, added temp checks on the way in, removed menu's etc.

The pictures, which are no doubt selective, of the UK, reminded me of my youth in the Town Centre, and that was the problem.  Stand-up style pubs, or pubs that may have tables but they are more props for holding empty pint glasses.  It should be pretty easy - name on the door, designated table, don't fucking move, enjoy a pint and/or a meal.  Cut your occupancy to 50% of less so that any given person seated is at least 6 feet, more likely 10ft, from someone on another table.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6367 on: Thursday, November 26, 2020, 14:40:13 »

Another hammer blow to the most affected sector of the economy over what should be its most profitable period of the year.

I suppose it’s young people making up the vast majority of those employees so fuck ‘em
There should be better support for these businesses and their employees, it seems like it's a halfway house where the govt are cutting them off at the knees, but not prepared to offer full support again as they did from March. So we end up with the worst of both worlds
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #6368 on: Thursday, November 26, 2020, 19:55:20 »

Professor Ellen Stokes-Lampard mentions on Ch4 News that ICU bed capacity is at 95% average in England. Usual threshold capacity is around 80% average.

All this as the government starts to ease lockdown and the precipice of Mid-Winter approaches...all seems rather strange moves to me but hey...I know nothing  Hmmm

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #6369 on: Thursday, November 26, 2020, 21:07:52 »

What does 80% threshold mean?

Not to be dramatic but my instinct would have been that ICU beds are probably about 95% of capacity in a normal winter anyway (due to a number of reasons, most of which reflect poorly on the government in charge)

BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #6370 on: Thursday, November 26, 2020, 22:18:43 »

Pretty certain that Prof ES-L was saying that 80% gives more comfortable wiggle room, whereas at 95% Doctors are having to make more difficult decisions when a lot closer to the limit. Like sending patients elsewhere, not being able to give them the correct bed or queued corridors.

I was just relaying what she had said. I think we're (the NHS) is in for a very long Winter.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #6371 on: Thursday, November 26, 2020, 22:33:50 »

Of course. I don’t doubt that 80% is what they want to achieve for the reasons you’ve given. But I don’t know how often that it’s as low as that

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6372 on: Friday, November 27, 2020, 10:22:51 »

What does 80% threshold mean?

Not to be dramatic but my instinct would have been that ICU beds are probably about 95% of capacity in a normal winter anyway (due to a number of reasons, most of which reflect poorly on the government in charge)
NHS *total* bed occupancy is often in the range 90-95% in January, but ICU bed occupancy would typically be a bit lower. So Jan 2020 it was 83%, compared to 85% in Jan 2019

https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2020/03/MSitRep-SPN-v2.1-Ja7T2.pdf
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #6373 on: Friday, November 27, 2020, 11:00:31 »

All this as the government starts to ease lockdown and the precipice of Mid-Winter approaches...all seems rather strange moves to me but hey...I know nothing  Hmmm

They are not easing lockdown when compared with where we were prior to this lockdown, which is the basis for the present ICU position. We (and many parts of the country now in Tier 2) are more locked down than we were before, basically the 'new' system is tightening the lock down from where it was.

(if that makes sense)
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #6374 on: Friday, November 27, 2020, 15:07:29 »

They are not easing lockdown when compared with where we were prior to this lockdown, which is the basis for the present ICU position. We (and many parts of the country now in Tier 2) are more locked down than we were before, basically the 'new' system is tightening the lock down from where it was.

(if that makes sense)

Apologies, I was playing a little towards Devil's Advocate. You make perfect sense, it is more so that this government don't so much. Surely what was the point in naming the current "lockdown" as such? When but for two counties and an AONB, as you state will be in tighter restrictions than said current lockdown.

I get the reasons as you lay out but surely shouldn't we (England/UK/whatever) be in even tighter restrictions until Dec 2nd? Add to that this lockdown 2.0 has been not really a lockdown (even lockdown 1.0 wasn't as restricting as other places). I do see England going through an incredibly tough Jan and Feb - all at the expense of the Christmas period. As we all know, that SARS-CoV-2 enjoys taking a break during the Festive period too.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Pages: 1 ... 422 423 424 [425] 426 427 428 ... 629   Go Up
Print
Jump to: