Pages: 1 ... 287 288 289 [290] 291 292 293 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1204044 times)
Banker

On The Bank

Ignore
« Reply #4335 on: Friday, June 5, 2020, 21:30:43 »

I have a similar relationship with my old man. Except he is the staunch Brexiteer/UKIPer/Trump fan, et al.

Banker, with your son do you think it is more of an aesthetic in part (the MAGA cap and the Rees-Mogg Tee), like he knows it will cause a response? In some ways a form of manipulation. Not necessarily targeted at yourself but from people who fall either side of opinion. It is true the more clever the person the better at manipulation they are capable of. Sometimes the "aesthetic" is part of their game. Knowing they don't even have to speak to cause problems. A la Trump.

Well, at least your relationship dynamic is the right way around !  Cheesy

No, my son's never been manipulative, or a game player in any way. At uni he did once share digs with a far right winger, who he insists was not an influence, but I do wonder. He certainly wasn't brainwashed at home while growing up ! Conscious of dragging this thread off topic, but it is fascinating.....
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #4336 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 06:05:22 »

Another phrase to soon add to bullshit bingo; „Great Recovery Bill“

I come from a land down-under
STFC_Manc

Ignore
« Reply #4337 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 07:24:44 »

Is the r rate going to increase in two weeks because of the protests that are expected this weekend? 

Every right to protest in normal times but I'm not sure it's the right time for it now.
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #4338 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 07:31:03 »

In regards to my previous post about Spain, due to the huge drop in deaths and infections , Malaga province and the costa del sol is moving to phase 3 a week early on Monday. So from now on.....

Personal movement. All time slots for outdoor exercise will be removed. Gatherings permitted up to 20 people. Movement allowed within province (although the regional government can allow inter-provincial travel).

Bars, cafeterias and restaurants. Interiors to 50% capacity. Bar service at two-metre intervals. Terraces to 75%.

Shops and services. To 50% capacity including in shopping centres. Probably gyms as well. Communal and recreational areas in shopping centres to 40% capacity

Culture. Museums, libraries, theatre, cinemas, etc to 50%

Home working. Still encouraged where possible

I realise this is pretty much what you lot are already doing but its good to know we only had 2 infections yesterday in the province and 0 deaths now for 8 days in a row.
smalltowngypsymassacre

« Reply #4339 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 09:04:51 »

Like many people on here, I was appalled by the 'doorstepping' of Dominic Cummings by the media. Not because I supported him in any way, shape or form, but because of what I perceived to be the hypocrisy of the assembled press in so blatantly ignoring social distancing while covering a story criticising someone for breaking lockdown rules. So I complained to the BBC on the same day and just received s response, thought I might as well share it, some may find it interesting:

'Thank you for contacting us with your concerns about our journalists filming outside the house of Dominic Cummings. To allow us to reply promptly, and to ensure we use our licence fee resources as efficiently as possible, we’re sending this response to everyone who’s raised a complaint. We’re sorry we can’t reply individually, but we hope this will address most of the points you’ve raised.

The story about Mr Cummings’ trip to Durham during lockdown is a major one, and it was in the public interest for journalists to investigate and report on it. It’s well established practice for journalists to follow people at the heart of a breaking story and bring the public up-to-date pictures, and we do this regularly with political figures. ‘Doorstepping’ someone, where they’re approached and questioned in a public place is also permitted in the BBC’s Editorial Guidelines, for example when an individual’s role requires them to be publicly accountable or when they’re someone who doesn’t respond to interview requests.

On this story the BBC and other UK broadcasters (Sky, ITV, Channel 5) were using the ‘pool’ system. That is, we took it in turns to film from the street outside Mr Cummings’ house, and we then shared the footage. The camera team consists of two people; a camera person and a producer, so pooling material like this reduced the numbers present and also made it easier to adhere to the social distancing guidance and the need to stay two metres away from others. However the pool system is for broadcasters, not newspapers or agency photographers who were also covering the story, and the BBC has no influence or say over their behaviour. While camera angles can make people appear closer together than they really are, we accept that with a large number of photographers present too it can be difficult to observe the guidance.

We’ve shared your concerns with the BBC News teams, and they will reiterate to staff the need to keep an appropriate distance when filming'.

Make of that what you will!

mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #4340 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 10:16:01 »

Sounds like sensible, effective and quite surprising collaboration between the broadcasters.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4341 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 11:35:21 »

fair enough isn't it. didn't break their guidelines.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #4342 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 13:02:06 »

Is the r rate going to increase in two weeks because of the protests that are expected this weekend? 

Every right to protest in normal times but I'm not sure it's the right time for it now.

You have a point but if and it's a big one, if people protest in the ways that have been displayed at times (socially distant, wearing masks etc) then it should be lower. That's ok for limited attendance but open protests make that much more difficult.

Of course we can also factor in all the people that have flooded to the beaches the last few weeks and weekends. As well as virally shedding all over the shop, they keep leaving all their shit like they've crawled away from Glasto. They can fuck right off.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #4343 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 13:23:54 »

You have a point but if and it's a big one, if people protest in the ways that have been displayed at times (socially distant, wearing masks etc) then it should be lower. That's ok for limited attendance but open protests make that much more difficult.

Of course we can also factor in all the people that have flooded to the beaches the last few weeks and weekends. As well as virally shedding all over the shop, they keep leaving all their shit like they've crawled away from Glasto. They can fuck right off.
You know full well they won’t social distance, Churchill’s statue has already been defaced. The whole thing has been hijacked now and I find it ironic that a protest stating ‘lives matter’ has no problem increasing the risk to people’s lives. As I said before, may as well just return to normal now and let people make their own decisions!
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #4344 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 13:38:10 »

I find it ironic that a protest stating ‘lives matter’ has no problem increasing the risk to people’s lives.

I guess some people will feel that some things are worth risking for. Especially when trying to make a historical change. I know that's not your full angle due to Covid-19.

Not everyone is an irresponsible, violent human being when protesting. There will always be bad elements in pretty much anything but if you feel that's the way you want to paint your narrative then cool Smiley

Out of interest, would you protest if you felt you could protect yourself and safe (covid not physical) to do so?

'Incessant Nonsense'

STFC_Manc

Ignore
« Reply #4345 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 13:46:42 »

I've not seen the pictures from today, agreed it will reduce the risk but they are putting people's lives at risk.  Don't get me started on the idiots flooding to the beach.

I'm hoping the cool weather continues for a while, so people are less likely to be stupid outdoors. 
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #4346 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 13:48:18 »

I guess some people will feel that some things are worth risking for. Especially when trying to make a historical change. I know that's not your full angle due to Covid-19.

Not everyone is an irresponsible, violent human being when protesting. There will always be bad elements in pretty much anything but if you feel that's the way you want to paint your narrative then cool Smiley

Out of interest, would you protest if you felt you could protect yourself and safe (covid not physical) to do so?
As usual you go off on a tangent, you don’t need to be violent or irresponsible to transmit the virus, people coming together from all over the place is a massive risk for the exact same reason crowds are banned at football.
No in the current circumstances whilst we are in a pandemic I wouldn’t protest, like I wouldn’t go to a packed beach!
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #4347 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 14:03:01 »

You know full well they won’t social distance,

As usual you go off on a tangent, you don’t need to be violent or irresponsible to transmit the virus, people coming together from all over the place is a massive risk for the exact same reason crowds are banned at football.
No in the current circumstances whilst we are in a pandemic I wouldn’t protest, like I wouldn’t go to a packed beach!

No tangent Theakston, calm your beans.

Funny. In this instance, I always thought they meant a collective term for all that the writer is referring to?  Hmmm

I did say that it wasn't your full angle due to Covid-19 but you chose to ignore that part of my reply.

I also said would you protest if you felt you could protect yourself and it was safe to do so?

Feel free to re-read or not and instead just pick out the bits that suit you best Smiley

'Incessant Nonsense'

theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #4348 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 14:09:50 »

No tangent Theakston, calm your beans.

Funny. In this instance, I always thought they meant a collective term for all that the writer is referring to?  Hmmm

I did say that it wasn't your full angle due to Covid-19 but you chose to ignore that part of my reply.

I also said would you protest if you felt you could protect yourself and it was safe to do so?

Feel free to re-read or not and instead just pick out the bits that suit you best Smiley
I know what you said, and my opinion remains if you are doing a mass protest in the middle of a pandemic where the R number is around 1 then you are needlessly risking people’s lives. That’s the only angle I have!

You’re just coming across as a virtue signalling prick, you can agree with the cause not the methods! It’s also massively self defeating as if there is a second wave the protests will get a lot of the blame!
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #4349 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 14:26:27 »

I know what you said, and my opinion remains if you are doing a mass protest in the middle of a pandemic where the R number is around 1 then you are needlessly risking people’s lives. That’s the only angle I have!

You’re just coming across as a virtue signalling prick, you can agree with the cause not the methods! It’s also massively self defeating as if there is a second wave the protests will get a lot of the blame!

That's your opinion RE: "virtue signalling prick"  but you're incredibly wrong on that.

Yes I do understand your point but I was referring to the point you made referencing "they" yet you keep ignoring it. You're saying that everyone who protests will not be practicing social distancing. That imo is incorrect. I could be wrong but much like you calling me a virtue signalling prick, it is much my opinion.

Yes, I know they would likely get the blame, which is also why I highlighted people who have been flooding to the beaches, beauty spots, checking their damn eyesight *sic, etc.

That's fine if you don't feel safe to go and protest and I'm certainly not forcing you to do so but what might seem counterproductive to you, to many others (considering what most are protesting for) it will be the most important thing they do in their lifetime.

Anyway, I'm signing off. Gotta have lunch (yes at 4pm). Have a great afternoon whatever you do.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Pages: 1 ... 287 288 289 [290] 291 292 293 ... 629   Go Up
Print
Jump to: